Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Thanks for kind words and interest, everybody. I have the first sale, by the way, our friend Dave O'Bryan already laid his good money on the table and I aim not to disappoint him, and for being #1, I thought it fitting to give him a little discount. Sometimes it pays to be quick!

The van's HV box is a bodge, we all know. Most car heater boxes are actually pretty odd affairs, but the so-called reasoning underlying this design is truly outlandish. It's seriously the most feeble and ill-considered HV system I've ever seen in a watercooled car. I would be stunned if no one here HAD worked on an inlet control, since the constant pressurisation of the system is probably its most glaring defect.

So good on you guys for your own efforts. I did see Dave's a couple months ago while hunting around the web for pics of disassembled heater boxes, but I hadn't seen the others' before. My working design was already in use by then, what I wanted was to confirm the existence of the "main cut-off flap" in Bentley's blow-up. Turns out there was originally another internal control flap which isolated the upstream side of the heater core, the fan output air, from the plenum that's after the swinging flaps. I think with that flap closed, you could probably get hotter air out the foot and defrost vents while fresh unheated ram air could be routed to the end dash vents and the rear overhead vents as desired. Those early systems dedicated the third lever down to that flap alone, and the top lever faded output between the defrost and foot vents like a lot of cars do. Look in the earliest Vanagon owner's manuals and you can see that described in the vent controls instructions. I'm guessing they eliminated it because the fan presents little restriction so ram air just flows thru it on its own. Of course that wouldn't be that way if they had just provided an inlet closure.

Todd and Andrew liked the defrost diffusers. I like them too, they need a little more work to find the best outlet hole pattern, but it does help some with ice fouling (my electric defrost grid works better, but that has its own snags: installing is a bitch with the glass in place, and the copper traces are easily damaged). I could make up some diffusers if there were interest. Like the fresh air control, materials cost is small but there's a lot of hand labor, so the price ends up pretty high, but most of this audience understands that in such a small market we just don't get economy of scale.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Thanks for kind words and interest, everybody. I have the first sale, by the way, our friend Dave O'Bryan already laid his good money on the table and I aim not to disappoint him, and for being #1, I thought it fitting to give him a little discount. Sometimes it pays to be quick!

The van's HV box is a bodge, we all know. Most car heater boxes are actually pretty odd affairs, but the so-called reasoning underlying this design is truly outlandish. It's seriously the most feeble and ill-considered HV system I've ever seen in a watercooled car. I would be stunned if no one here HAD worked on an inlet control, since the constant pressurisation of the system is probably its most glaring defect.

So good on you guys for your own efforts. I did see Dave's a couple months ago while hunting around the web for pics of disassembled heater boxes, but I hadn't seen the others' before. My working design was already in use by then, what I wanted was to confirm the existence of the "main cut-off flap" in Bentley's blow-up. Turns out there was originally another internal control flap which isolated the upstream side of the heater core, the fan output air, from the plenum that's after the swinging flaps. I think with that flap closed, you could probably get hotter air out the foot and defrost vents while fresh unheated ram air could be routed to the end dash vents and the rear overhead vents as desired. Those early systems dedicated the third lever down to that flap alone, and the top lever faded output between the defrost and foot vents like a lot of cars do. Look in the earliest Vanagon owner's manuals and you can see that described in the vent controls instructions. I'm guessing they eliminated it because the fan presents little restriction so ram air just flows thru it on its own. Of course that wouldn't be that way if they had just provided an inlet closure.

Todd and Andrew liked the defrost diffusers. I like them too, they need a little more work to find the best outlet hole pattern, but it does help some with ice fouling (my electric defrost grid works better, but that has its own snags: installing is a bitch with the glass in place, and the copper traces are easily damaged). I could make up some diffusers if there were interest. Like the fresh air control, materials cost is small but there's a lot of hand labor, so the price ends up pretty high, but most of this audience understands that in such a small market we just don't get economy of scale.

Keep up the awesome and much appreciated work! Very Happy

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

OK totally impressed Shocked
i've been playing with this fresh/recirc problem on and off thu my Ac install
And never thought to go "Out side the box" literally..Wow
Good work...ingenious
I was working on a 4"rotating pipe on the bottom slide..interior
your idea is better /easier
Very Happy
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

This is pretty slick.

While I save my money for yet another upgrade, is there any reason why one couldn't just pull the grill and throw a magnetic strip over the intake holes to block airflow during the winter? You know, the same material people use to stick a temporary business sign on their car door, etc.
detoxed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Installing this kit and confused about the cable adjustment per the instructions. The cable attachment on the bell crank assembly looks different from the assembly that came with my kit. If anybody who has installed this kit could help it would be appreciated.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

I know at some point there were revised instructions, possibly because the kit was revised? I would contact Vanistan to make sure you are working off of the instructions for the right revision.
Some people call him Maurice...
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Should be noted that the URL has changed:
http://www.vanistan.com/cabin_air_control.html
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Thanks for catching that!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Normally this time of year I block off most of the fresh air inlet for the winter. But I got this cool kit, very excited to have control over the air in the cab. Die-hard VW engineering fans may not want to read the next line...
The stock heater box is poorly designed at best.
I digress. I am currently stuck at the point pictured above. The pics in the instructions are a bit blurry and I cant tell what I'm doing wrong here. It seems like I should have a set screw in the hole in the hex pivot (middle of pic) but I don't have that screw with my parts (lost it?) and that the cable shouldn't be attached (top of pic). Further, it seems like I should be anchoring the cable housing at the bottom of the pic. Hoping those that have done this job can help.
I don't think it is relevant but I should note that I could not fit the guide tube that goes over the cable housing thru the firewall hole in my van because there were already things going through that I cannot re-route. This is one of those jobs that would be much quicker the second time around. Anyone who lives in the Anchorage AK area that would like some help on this in stall I would be happy to help. Assuming I get it all in.
SAMBA!
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Shamelessly bumping. I need to solve this as my daily driver just ate its alternator
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

You should have a cable tube clamp on the mounting screw on the bottom of the pic. This locks the cable tube in place there. And the cable itself only attaches to the lever, not also to that screw up top. It has to be able to move thru it's range to open and close. There must be a cable clamp somewhere in the kit still.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
You should have a cable tube clamp on the mounting screw on the bottom of the pic. This locks the cable tube in place there. And the cable itself only attaches to the lever, not also to that screw up top. It has to be able to move thru it's range to open and close. There must be a cable clamp somewhere in the kit still.

Thanks for the response.
...and a set screw to hold the cable in the hex pivot...
But I have neither, maybe my assistant is to blame for the missing parts.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Hey Dave, the bellcrank assembly has changed since you bought yours so the cable housing is no longer clamped there. Here's the reply I just emailed Honuak:

I think maybe what you’re not getting is that the cable housing is the active element, so when the lever is moved rightward the wire is shortened which causes the housing to be displaced so it pushes upward against the swivel on the bellcrank lever to close the flap. Since the flap opens fully in just the first half of the control lever travel, the housing has to be free of the bellcrank lever as the wire lengthens further so it can drop free of it when the lever is moved the second half of its travel. So the cable wire must be anchored by the hex screw, while the housing is not anchored to the bellcrank lever.

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

So what are the possibilities of using this with a Small car in dash AC ? One of the drawbacks to the in dash AC is the loss of fresh air. When installing an in dash air you put a plate over the air plenum and totally block it off.
I wonder if you could use this and tap into the air plenum and Tee it into one of the AC hoses from the Evaporator. So when the AC was off you could again have fresh air.
I need to look at a van with the Air box out and see how far it extends past the opening.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Except for the control cable, this kit is entirely contained within the inlet scoop, so I can't see how it could interfere with any in-dash AC system. Whether it would be a useful enhancement or not? No idea, depends on the system's airflow layout.

Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

FWIW I found that a 90 deg angle drill was the only way I could fit the 2-1/8" hole saw in to the space to make the hole for the cabin-air flapper. I used an add-on style but you can get/beg/borrow one that is the actual tool.
Great Kit!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

That's odd, I'm able to do it with a regular 1/2"-chuck power drill, plenty of room.

You seem to have some funny things about your rig, Ethan, you said there was something occupying the hole I route the cable thru, too, I wonder what that is.

Anyway, glad you like the kit and it's working for you. You'll really appreciate it when the temps drop this winter, I suppose you're already seeing some of that up in the GWN. Down here we normally would have mostly freezing nights by now, but not this year.

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

A little update: the Cabin Air Kit can now be ordered with an independent pull-knob cable control instead of the cable that is integrated with the existing ventilation levers. Price is the same for either.

The pull-knob control is much easier to install and provides smoother more direct operation of the inlet door. Thus is the way I originally developed the kit but then I thought that a lot of owners want things to look totally stock, so I worked out the integrated control. But I decided I should offer both versions.

The pull-knob cable is installed in the lower dash by drilling a 3/8" hole for it. If you don't want to modify the dash you could easily make your own bracket for it, but I won't be providing one. Here's a pic of it installed in the dash itself:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I personally prefer the independent pull-knob, when pushed in as shown the inlet door is closed.

I also came up with new inlet door supports which are based around foam plugs that seal off the odd-shaped ends of the inlet scoop. These do require drilling a small screw hole for each, so I can't claim anymore that the kit installs without any mods to the van body, but these holes are out of sight up in the inlet scoop where rust would never be prone to get started.

There's also a new flapper valve for the recirculating air feature, it has a slightly larger available aperture area for lower restriction. It still won't flow all the air that fan speed 3 could move, but I think I've maxed out what can be done in the available space at the end of the airbox.

A lot of the parts look different from what's depicted at the start of this thread and on my website, at some point I'll do a new display photo but except for the pull-knob all this stuff is invisible when installed, so really who cares what it looks like?

shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

I have the original version of the kit that used the 3rd position lever in the dash, and have recently added this cable so that I can do a simple pull/push for off/on

(Dorman 55103)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COBANA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was a great improvement for the opening/closing, I had always had problems with the lever not generating enough pull to properly close the door, and now the mechanism works perfectly.

However, even with the door closed there is a substantial amount of air ingress. I'm wondering what sealing solutions others have come up with to fully shut off the air?

Also, has anyone considered installing an air filter behind the bug screen? Most modern cars have a cabin air filter as I understand... seems like it could be nice for dusty roads in the summertime...
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Oh, and a piece of advice for anyone wanting to do this mod - I recommend putting the handle below the control knob for the rear heater.

The Dorman cable I used has a long rigid piece that goes behind the handle. I first installed it below and to the right of the rear heater control knob, and the rigid part interfered with an air tube in the dash, preventing the cable from being able to actuate. So I had to move it to the left, underneath the rear heater control knob.

YMMV. This whole issue could be avoided if the cable you get doesn't have such a long rigid piece.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: