Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

This is to let you all know about my newest product, one that's been on my to-do list for years, a kit to address one of the most vexing design quirks of the T3, the lack of a fresh/recirc cabin air control.

http://www.vanistan.com/Vanistan/other_accessories.html

"Complete kit to add a much-needed closure door to the cabin fresh air inlet scoop behind the front grille. Control outside air entering the cabin to limit ingress of frigid air when heating, and hot air when using air conditioning, making both systems more effective and easier to control. Reduces cabin noise too, while improving comfort.

Kit allows the new inlet door to be controlled with the bottom lever of the stock ventilation controls, for a seamless installation; the door is fully closed when the lever is moved to the right, and door is fully open within the first half of lever movement. When inlet door is closed, a one-way flapper valve allows the fresh air fan to recirculate cabin air instead.

Kit includes inlet door and support structure, steel-mesh pest screen, control cable, recirculation flapper valve, brackets, every fastener required for installation, and detailed instructions. Can be installed in any model Vanagon with any style grille in about two hours. No removal of dash board or cutting or drilling of the van body is involved."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've really enjoyed having this on my van this winter. I close the inlet by sliding the bottom vent control lever to the right, and I can set the controls for a light flow of warm air over my feet, and it stays the same whether I'm cruising 75mph in interstate traffic or doing the urban stop-light gran prix. Interior noise is noticeably reduced with the inlet door closed.

People who've bought kits from me know I take pains to create complete kits that are easy and fun projects for your weekend tinkering time. I've designed this one to be as easy to install as possible, with no holes drilled in the van bodywork. The only required tool some folks might not already have is a 1.75" holesaw, to install the recirc flapper valve into the plastic heater housing, the location being accessible by removing the glove-box. The space available to provide the fan a recirculation inlet is small, so the flapper valve will restrict recirc airflow on maximum fan speed, but on speeds 1 and 2 flow is unaffected.

http://www.vanistan.com/Vanistan/other_accessories.html

For price and ordering info, please click the link above. To order, click the "email me" button at the bottom of the page and send me a request. Kits will be ready to ship by the end of this week. Do not PM me, I won't see it, please email me thru my website.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Sweet!! Will be putting this on my wish list with the wife! Thanks for developing this, it will be great in the winters!
1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Applause

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Nice! interested to hear how people feel about the install. (not expecting anything bad, just usually get really great install photos and opinions of the process.)

Smart addition! Very Happy

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Very cool!
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Want! Super cool...
Some people call him Maurice...
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

That all said, not having a van doesn't preclude me from being interested in this product, or being interested in seeing photos of one being installed... just one more thing to learn that I didn't know before. And besides... I didn't make it to the Samba till the philistines had already caused you (10¢) to be a far less frequent poster than you were once... So when I see not only posts from you but a thread started by you, it begs investigation and careful reading. (Said posts tend to be the most informative, and I generally end up learning something 9 times out of 10.)

/carry on.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Oh Gee......

That idea is So 2014! ...... Wink
Mine works Great! (And cost very little)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605822&highlight=

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Nice Chris!
It's on the list!

Any happening on the defroster manifold thing you were working on?...On the way back from Seattle in an ice storm after trying to knock the ice off the corner of my windshield on my new van and cracking it (the windshield), I thought of your defroster setup, Ha!

Thanks for the hard work on cool stuff.
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

I guess you don't value your time, Dave! Your solution seemed like a ton of work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

That's a solid setup. Three thumbs up!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Shocked

I was cursing VW for lack of air recirc back in January while being stuck behind a diesel exhaust-spewing semi for many, many miles (and I've already got the main inlet screen covered).

This is awesome... well done! Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Very nice! This will help me out in the winters by being able to throttle the amount of (very cold, but very dry) air coming into the van for heating and defrosting.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Looks great Chris Exclamation

Thanks for your time and efforts.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Just what I've been wanting. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Applause
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Sooper dooper!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
Any happening on the defroster manifold thing you were working on?...

I saw that defroster manifold in person, it was COOL.

I also wonder about tilting the air box middle defroster vents from the top of the dashboard to the front and have it right on the wiper section.

Wonder if Dave can comment on that since he's had that box apart so much.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Those of us driving in dusty off-road conditions benefit greatly from recirculating AC. Nice execution on the design, Chris - - makes my design look rather Flintstones.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Oh Gee......

That idea is So 2014! ...... Wink

Well.....

Back in 08 or so, while converting my air cooled heater box to water cooled (a WOT btw), I figured out something similar. Once I got to making a hinged flap at ram, I stopped; it was a heinous affair. Wink And, I only bench tested the box so ....

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/EngineConversionJettaABA20#5983995620817252018

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: