Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
JennyB2930 wrote:

Since my overall cabin temp control system is crap would it be worth the effort to add this thing so that I could at least have sold open/close control over the fresh air flap or would it be wiser just to try and replace the broken cable, or should I just move it to closed position with a pair of pliers and forget about it?

Actually, it would really be worth your time to pull your dash to get at the heater to rebuild it.
The case is glued togeter so yo have to split the seams apart, clean out years of dirt and replace the motor, the foam seals on the flaps and get it back together.
It sounds daunting pulling the dash, but if you have all the bits for doing the heater box you should be able to get it done in a weekend.
There's a mod you could do for the heater resistor.
Do a search in the forum about rebuilding the heater, there's enough info about it.

https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-AC-Heater-s/2719.htm

https://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?start=3...mp;filter=

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/heating.html?p=2

I didn't see the foam seals for the flaps, but you can use this foam tape to make them.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell-2-in-x-30-ft-R-1-Foam-Insulation-Tape-TAP18230/100539553

Also, here is a good mod:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395661&highlight=mullendore+port

His is an '80 Air Cooled Westy, did the early AC versions even get a blower in the housing, or was that a year or two later for the last of the Air Cooled Models?
I wa hoping someone with way more Air Cooled Vanagon experience could chime in for the person's question about that 3rd cable/slider on their '80 Westy.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
JennyB2930
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

@ jlrfType7 thanks for the details. Its making sense now.

I think you're right, I have no heater box up front, nothing to rebuild. Good news is that the two side fresh air vents seal up tight as a ducks arse when closed, but I might play around with your idea of sealing up the front air intake and driving around just to see if there's a noticeable difference in overall air leaks, pressure etc. I do sometimes like to have cold air blowing through the drivers side vent when the heat is on (as mentioned in the GoWesty write up) so plugging the front air intake seasonally wouldn't allow for that. If there's a noticeable difference I'll consider installing a controllable flap.

I think I've got all the info on this subject that I need for now. Thanks everyone for your help and expert advice. Stay tuned I'll be back for more very soon no doubt! Jenny B! Very Happy Yellow Vanagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

JennyB2930 wrote:

I think you're right, I have no heater box up front, nothing to rebuild. Good news is that the two side fresh air vents seal up tight as a ducks arse when closed, but I might play around with your idea of sealing up the front air intake and driving around just to see if there's a noticeable difference in overall air leaks, pressure etc. I do sometimes like to have cold air blowing through the drivers side vent when the heat is on (as mentioned in the GoWesty write up) so plugging the front air intake seasonally wouldn't allow for that. If there's a noticeable difference I'll consider installing a controllable flap.

I think I've got all the info on this subject that I need for now. Thanks everyone for your help and expert advice. Stay tuned I'll be back for more very soon no doubt! Jenny B! Very Happy Yellow Vanagon
You should have a heater box up front, it just won't have a water heated heater core in it- Your flaps that the cables are controlling are in your heaterbox, that's how you get directed air flow control.
I think some of the Air cooled heater boxes are different from very early Vanagons to the slightly later Air Cooled versions as VW was starting to make changes for the in-coming Diesel Engined and Gas Engined Vanagons. [ sort of standarizing the heater boxes , maybe]
Someone else with more experience in this dept. can add to that. I know VangonNut had an Air cooled model that he pulled the heater box on to add a Heater Core to when he was swapping out engines for a Diesel. he ought to know what's 'standard' on your Air Cooled and how the cables work, and where they run to inside the Vanagon. I'll try sending him a PM.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
JennyB2930 wrote:

You should have a heater box up front, it just won't have a water heated heater core in it- Your flaps that the cables are controlling are in your heaterbox, that's how you get directed air flow control.
I think some of the Air cooled heater boxes are different from very early Vanagons to the slightly later Air Cooled versions as VW was starting to make changes for the in-coming Diesel Engined and Gas Engined Vanagons. [ sort of standarizing the heater boxes , maybe]
Someone else with more experience in this dept. can add to that. I know VangonNut had an Air cooled model that he pulled the heater box on to add a Heater Core to when he was swapping out engines for a Diesel. he ought to know what's 'standard' on your Air Cooled and how the cables work, and where they run to inside the Vanagon. I'll try sending him a PM.

PM read.

On my Canadian '81 Westy, I only used my heat box with air cooled engine for a short time. In particular during a maiden voyage camping trip in WA state. No amount of lever moving quelled the cold air rushing in! Main causes:

- worn seals at flaps in heat box
- seized cables to heat control flaps at engine
- rust holes in those flap control boxes.

I didn't read all the details but I'd guess that at minimum, JennyB's heat exchange box needs to be resealed. (flaps aren't sealing)

IIRC, one lever at dash controls 2 cables each to a control flap at engine, as per image below.

Along with comments made, yes; the box with fan accepts a heater core; it has knockouts to allow room for heater core nipples. But, that box requires other modifications. e.g. removal of diverter.

Images from my (out of print?) Haynes 'Air cooled Vanagon' manual. This manual is quite useful and can be found used for not much money.

I'll look at my '81 owners manual later. It might show relevant dash lever info.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Thanks Neil, very cool response and info added. Cool Cool
JennyB2930
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

@ Vanagon Nut: Wow! This is great! Figure 11.56 looks like the control flap that I cannot control on my van, because the other end of the cable which should be connected to lever 1 in Fig. 11.53 is broken off. The rest is helpful info for sure!

Heat does seem to be traveling well from the rear to front of van and since it doesn't get that cold here in sunny Sacramento, CA Im not freezing my tits off, but if that becomes an issue I will surely give it a run though and keep an eye out for...

- worn seals at flaps in heat box
- seized cables to heat control flaps at engine
- rust holes in those flap control boxes.

and make some adjustments as noted in the manual.

You guys are rad! <3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Happy to help JennyB

Yeah against Westfalias' directive, once I got into camp I resorted to using my stove as a 'heating appliance'. Wink

Ok, so the cables to rear and flaps etc are likely ok. It can't hurt to try and squirt lube into the cables where the exit sheath near the lever(s) at rear flaps. Some type of "creeping" thicker lube.

Assuming cable and lever at box still work ok, loosening the clamp that holds cable to bracket might allow you to gain some length, shape end to a "Z" shape, hook it back to lever. You might have to cut back some of the wire wound/plastic covers sheath so removing the cable first would obviously help. Not rocket surgery level stuff. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Hey y'all, a little update on the Cabin Air Control kit if you haven't visited my site in awhile (which you should do, though, there's some fun stuff on the blog).

Not long ago, supply of the steel mesh product I preferred for the pest screens went from spotty to non-existent. Us vendors have dealt with a lot of that sort of thing these last two years. Consequently the kit now comes without the screen pieces I formerly provided, but I dropped the price accordingly, to $150.

Instead, templates to make your own screens from suitable materials are downloadable from my product Guides page.

I do recommend screening the inlet opening so you don't have to remember to close the inlet door to keep rodents out. A metal mesh is preferred so they can't chew thru it.

Cold-weather's coming, so now's a good time to get better control of your cabin heating and interior noise. I also offer a bombproof heater valve if your old one is getting ready to go, it also has the radiator self-bleeding feature built-in.

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/cabin-air-control/

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/t3-vanagon-front-heater-valve/

My product installation guides will answer most questions, they're always available here for viewing or download:

https://intrepidoverland.com/product-instructions/

Have fun out there on your fall excursions! I'll be at VanCafe/RMW for the Sept. 15th cookout, come say hi!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Chris,

Thank you for the update, and I am so glad to see the kit on your site!!! Also, thanks for including the template, as I've mangled one side of one of my buses, and actually forgot that I needed to make a new one, so this is really timely and well received!!!

Much appreciation,

-bobby
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Another update: I've managed some cost reductions despite this inflationary time, so was able to drop the prices $15 each on my two most popular items just in time for the season.

The Cabin Air Control kit was $150, now it's only $135.

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/cabin-air-control/

Our bomber Heater Valve was $110, now only $95.

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/t3-vanagon-front-heater-valve/

Aaaand, the smart move is to order both at once since both of these items can ship together in the same USPS flat-rate box. That way you save an extra $20 vs. shipping them separately in the US. And in Canada, shipping together will save almost $50!

Happy Halloween you goons, and happy trails to everyone else!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Happy Halloween Trails to you too!

Regarding the installation of the valve on the return hose:

Feed or return side of heater circuit?
Vanagons generally came with the heater valve in the feed, or hot side, ignoring the convention of placing valves on the
colder side of heating circuits for longer life. The radiator auto-bleeding feature of this heater valve will purge the radiator
quickly and continuously if it is installed in the return hose, whether the heater valve is open or not. These instructions
describe the recommended installation in the return hose.

Doesn't that allow the coolant in the heater core to eventually be heated resulting in air passing through the core to be heated and slip into the cabin when the a/c is doing it's best to keep the occupants cool? I ask because I obviously haven't purchased the valve yet (thanks for the price reduction!) and have used hose vice clamps to stop the flow of hot coolant to the heater core. When I put the clamp on the return side of the circuit I seem to get warm air passing through the heater core but when I put the clamp on the feed side the air passing through the heater core seems to stay cooler. Granted, not getting a complete seal with the clamp can add to this problem.

In short: do you notice any difference in air temp passing through the heater core when putting the valve on the feed or return hose?

Thanks for the update on your cool stuff.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

No, to transport hot coolant to the heater core, coolant has to flow out and back. It's a circuit, hot out and less hot returning, liquid has to displace other liquid for any movement to occur. Place a block (valve) at any point in the circuit and there is no flow, so no heated coolant can reach the core, the same way a switch placed anywhere in a simple electric circuit will stop electric current from flowing. So it doesn't matter which side of the heater core the valve is placed, it stops flow in the entire circuit wherever you put it.

In fact, VW ignored common convention in thermal systems design, where you put a valve on the cooler side of a circuit like this because the valve's life is longer if it sees only lower temperatures. Nonetheless their stock heater valves did manage to last well beyond the design life of maybe 15 years, but by now, just like any original radiator is at least ten years past due for replacement, the heater valves are mostly long past the time in service where one can expect them to fully close internally, or contain pressure at the shaft packing, or both.

With flow stopped, there is one other thermal transfer phenomenon (there's only 3: radiation, conduction, convection) happening, which is the static coolant conducting heat from the engine forward in the hoses. The valve in one or the other hose will retard but not stop conduction of heat across it, and of course there is no such resistor in the other open hose, but a liquid column only 5/8" in diameter enclosed with uninsulated rubber in free air is not going to conduct sensible heat the 12 feet it would have to for any warmth to be palpable at the heater core.

In your tests, it wouldn't matter where in the circuit you clamped a hose, but it sounds like whatever clamp you're applying isn't completely pinching the hose shut.

mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Finished installing the kit I bought quite a while ago. Instead of pulling the grommet, I just used a drill to poke a hole in the center of it, pushed a stiff wire through, taped the cable to that and was able to pull it back out the front. Since I've deleted my rear heater, I printed up a mount to use the hole from the rear blower fan switch, Used the original wiring to an led to illuminate it at night. Not perfect but it should work well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Are these no longer available? The link is dead
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

https://intrepidoverland.com/vanistan/

Works for me.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
https://intrepidoverland.com/vanistan/

Works for me.
Thank you! That works, but the link on the first page doesn't
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Installed this kit over the weekend. I had an older (first?) version of the kit that used plastic parts in the ram air space and more importantly a different opening mech that was a bit problematic. To be clear, I am not complaining. This kit, like so many other cool retrofits/fixes for our old vans is one of the things that makes owning one of these relics doable and fun. This mod really should have been part of the build from factory. I used to just block the intake in winter months. I really love this kit.
I digress.
The instructions are good, a video would be nice. Took some ciphering to be sure of the orientation of the various peices, not at all difficult but still a vid of instalation process would be cool. I reused the previously installed push pull cable that I had retrofitted. It has a smaller diameter cable but it works great.
For mouse stopper I used a sheet of expanded aluminium from my local hardware store. I wanted the holes to be large enough to maximuze air flow so I combined the metal mesh with a cut to fit piece of activated carbon sheet to eliminate small insects from getting into my heater box. When I rebuilt the van 12 years ago there were a lot of bug parts stuck in the heater core that mangned to make it past the stock plastic screen.

I put another piece of the carbon sheet on the backside of the grill, I suppose a small air quality improvemnt can be expected.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

living in AK, you'll like the heat increase from the recirc. i don't have recirc but i do close off the ram air about 90% to slow down the air flow over the heater core, pretty much by fan draw only, and i get much hotter air. also, i left the perforated plate out. much conjecture as to why it is there, most of it wrong. bottom line, living in extremely cold temps and driving the van year round, i get much better heat without it. without it, the air flow is slower thru the core if ram air is managed, giving more time to pick up heat.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:

Yeah this is incredible! I don't have skills to create that model - mainly the light dome and the hex nut socket.

I am going to learn how to do the hex nut socket that will come in clutch.

Is that PETG or ABS? mind sharing link cause that brown looks great
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Fresh Air / Recirc Control Kit from Vanistan Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:

The instructions are good, a video would be nice...

Maybe not a vid of the install process but a vid nonetheless:

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Jeff at Autoventures posted a sweet video of this product in action. It is now on my to buy list

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-H49ycJ7fM/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: