Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locking Seats?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Hi! I have a question about my seats. So I have a 67 bug which should have the seat locks on the side (March 1967), well it doesn't have locks at all!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My question is, can I make them locking or should I start my hunt for seat backs from 67? Thanks
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Excuse me, is that twin brake lines going to the rear? Confused
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:

I think one is the brake and the other is fuel. The bug came like that, haven't really checked it out
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Likely it is an earlier seat. I bought a seat with locking backrest from the classifieds here to use in my 64 vert.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

So does that mean it can't be converted to locking? There's a set of 67 seats on the classifieds now but I'm pretty sure they're 200$. Shocked
The bottom on mine is original I'm almost positive. Just the top is older I guess.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Looks like you have mis-matched seatbacks and seat bottoms. The painted frames would be the same colour ..white or black. Also, if the seatbottoms were 67's, they'd have evidence of the rod mechanism that would have connected to the release latch which was located on the side of the seatback. That doesn't appear to be there from what I can see in the pics. So, I'd guess you have 65 or earlier seatbottoms as well. I'm guessing that original 67 seats might be hard to come by. I have a passenger side seat (complete, but needs a new plastic knob on the seatback release) ....but it would be expensive to ship to the States from here in western Canada.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Ok so I'll start my search. I'm starting to get the feeling I can't just convert them Sad
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

The bottoms in your pictures appear to be 1966 and 1967.. and have the hook lock.. so you have... half of what you need.

All you need is the correct seat backs.. the release/lock mechanism is on the seat back legs.
Choose either...
1966 gray knob low lever release
1967 black knob low lever release (Early)
1967 Side seat back upper release (Late)

Any of those will give you the locking function you need.
I couldnt find a close picture of the late 67 (and newer) style.. it functions the same but instead of a lower lever it uses a slide knob on the seat back side and a rod to control the release.

1966 and Early 67 style

Late 67 (and newer)

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Did not know I could adjust the back of my seat to different positions in my '66. I need to pay more attention.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Did not know I could adjust the back of my seat to different positions in my '66. I need to pay more attention.

or read your owners manual.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/aug65bug.php
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Perfect thanks volkswagnut so you are saying I just need the seat back. I'll start the hunt for late 67 seat backs.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Perfect thanks volkswagnut so you are saying I just need the seat back. I'll start the hunt for late 67 seat backs.

(insert sighing noise.. here) ... for the cheap seats I'll repeat...

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

The bottoms in your pictures appear to be 1966 and 1967.. and have the hook lock.. so you have... half of what you need. ......All you need is the correct seat backs.. the release/lock mechanism is on the seat back legs. .

So yeah!

Laughing
Usually and often edited
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

I shall start my hunt! I think I'm going to a swap meet soon so I'll keep my eyes peeled.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I shall start my hunt! I think I'm going to a swap meet soon so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Wink

Plus.. those pre 65 seat backs you are taking off... can certainly be sold.. to help fund the correct locking replacements.

Usually and often edited
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Wink

Plus.. those pre 65 seat backs you are taking off... can certainly be sold.. to help fund the correct locking replacements.

I didn't think of that... Also did I here that I could make low backs from 68 seats?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Also did I here that I could make low backs from 68 seats?

Yes and no..
Yes high backs can be cut down easily to make low backs.. BUT be careful and know what you are looking at and buying.
When high backs are cut down they are boxed and look more like 64 and prior seat backs... You would then need the 65-67 swayed seat back springs then.. to fake the low 67 funk..

PLUS!!!!
The seat back leg pivot bolt (stud) size changed both size and (pivot) location at some time between 1968 and 1971.. (dont know exact year on that). This changed the seat back leg angle to the seat bottom frame as well.

How do I know ^^^ .. pfffff.. Anxious long short story.. and lesson.
I had 70 high backs in my 67... figured I could simply have high backs for driving.. and swap just the backs to low.. when I wanted them on.. high for long drives...low for the look. .
Once I recovered just my 67 front seat backs to match . tried to swap and slide those 67 backs.. on my previously recovered 70 seats (bottoms).. d'oh!
Certain combinations of bottoms and backs simply will not work together...
Luckily ... it was an easy fix as I had all the right parts Wink .. just took more time.. Now.. just low only.. and sold the highs..

If I were to cut down high backs... Id want the known matching configuration seat bottoms..

Just information to note when shopping..

Usually and often edited
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

So that's a negative on cutting seats. One because they wouldn't be right and two because it sounds like too much work to cut something that wouldn't look right without more work. It also seems mean to cut original vw equipment someone might need.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

As you can see from these two pics, the 1966 and 1967 VW Beetle front seatback release mechanism are quite different, so I can't really see that the seatbacks and seat bottoms would be interchangeable, unless all the relevant hardware was changed as weil. ....but then, what would be the point?

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

Ya know.. that's true.. and you have a great point. Good catch.. forgot all about that slight change.. d'oh! ..

Early 67 with the LOW lever and 1966 are the same..

Late 67 with the side upper remote release yes are a bit different..

The extra hook ramping IS mainly to help and allow the remote (side) release mechanism to slide back into the locking position smoothly..

Cant say that they will or wont still latch.. and interchange..
Maybe Ill try it.. Wink

It definitely appears the seats in question allllll the way at the top pics are indeed late 1967 bottoms...

So now you REALLY know what to look for.. late 67 seat backs...
Good luck with that..

You could still sacrifice the right high backs and use 65-67 seat back springs.. just more to think about..

Usually and often edited
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking Seats? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
runamoc wrote:

I think one is the brake and the other is fuel. The bug came like that, haven't really checked it out

the fuel line should be inside the tunnel, much safer in a big crash. the lines need be secured properly too.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: