Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Pop Top for Eurovan?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noel_Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Hi - I am trying to find someplace in the western US who can/will replace the pop top on a 1997 EVC
My current top is cracking along the lateral sides and the cracks are continuing to travel along the width of the roof
Would love to convert to a fiberglass pop top but cant seem to find anyone who makes a roof for EVC wheelbase
Also would be willing to convert to a High Top if there's one that fits

any referrals for possibly manufacturers/shops would be SO appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

User "Filmshoot" is your man -- he's got a westalia top for a long wheel base and he's in California.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Westfalia made a LWB top for a VW t4 lwb? I've never seen one (that's not to say it doesn't exist, of course). if that's true and dude has one, it's a unicorn in North America and I bet would command a pretty penny...

Colorado Campervans has done an EVC top -- it wasn't cheap, apparently: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618348

I know Cole says he's working on a solution as well...

we've had to patch a few EVC tops... found the best method is some aluminum strips and panel glue... I'll get a photo up when I get a chance.. it's not pretty, but it holds.

otherwise, a replacement is around 4k from what i understand..
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
User "Filmshoot" is your man -- he's got a westalia top for a long wheel base and he's in California.

It's not a Westfalia. It's made by a UK based company. They sell the tops and all kinds of cool "kit".
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Sorry my bad -- its a "Westfalia-style" top.

From what I've seen, it looks like the sleek top found on Eurovan Westfalia.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Sorry my bad -- its a "Westfalia-style" top.

From what I've seen, it looks like the sleek top found on Eurovan Westfalia.

No worries. I can't find the link right now. They make poptops for all kinds of vans, not just the T4. They have posted freight rates right on their website to all major NA cities.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

http://www.austops.co.uk/vw-t4-roofs

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More photos of Poptop install
http://www.moorescampers.co.uk/pop-tops/
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

This top looks really nice. Is it me, or does it raise the top more than the stock tops? My one gripe coming from a Vanagon to Eurovans was that the top didn't pop up quite as tall. This top maker seems to have thought the same thing.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just to follow up, here is a photo of our repair on our cracked top on one of our EVC campers. Basically just strips of aluminum at about a quarter inch gauge, with panel glue to stick them to the top.

It is not pretty, I'll admit that, but everyone I talk to said welding plastic this old it's pointless and it's never going to hold up. Plastic welds also look pretty ugly, at least this has some sort of industrial flow to it.

For what it's worth, this crack was caused by extremely cold temperatures and someone taking skis off of the roof and bumping the edge with their ski edge.

Ski racks came off all vans after I took this pic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

What are the differences in the construction of the "weekender" top vs the "Camper" top? One is fiberglass and the other is just molded plastic - is that right?

I've seen camper tops go up and down -- but never tried it myself. They look to go up quickly (being lighter?).

Is it reasonable to pull the top off a camper and layup some fiberglass on the inside of it to strengthen it all around?
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

I don't know much about the weekender top, other than it's fiberglass...

the EVC top is a piece of shit design all around, frankly. It's two pieces of ABS-like plastic molded together with a wooden frame in between. they are hollow in points and over time the top sheet (white) gets brittle and cracks. They aren't incredibly heavy and I think the weekender top is heavier based on my own persona expirience...

could you glass the underside of an EVC top? probably, but it wouldn't increase the strength of the top sheet of plastic at all and would add a lot more weight. You'd want to pull a full top, pull apart the sandwitched materials adn then go at it reinforcing the thing ... at that point youv'e spent who knows how much time, money and effort into something that probably won't last another 20 years tho.

i really think that i'll be looking at importing lwb t4 tops in the future..

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

The Weestfalia (weekender top) is fiberglass with multiple layers of wood inside.

The Winnebago (full camper) top is plastic.

I personally would start with gluing and screwing town Yakima rack rails. This would strengthen the top and give the rack mounts most people want.

After that some strategic plating could be used over the known weak spots.

I just haven't had one to play with yet.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:

the EVC top is a piece of shit design all around, frankly. It's two pieces of ABS-like plastic molded together with a wooden frame in between. they are hollow in points and over time the top sheet (white) gets brittle and cracks.

Could the air pockets be drilled and filled with an expanding foam insulation? That might add some dimensional stability to the sandwich.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
I don't know much about the weekender top, other than it's fiberglass...

the EVC top is a piece of shit design all around, frankly. It's two pieces of ABS-like plastic molded together with a wooden frame in between. they are hollow in points and over time the top sheet (white) gets brittle and cracks. They aren't incredibly heavy and I think the weekender top is heavier based on my own persona expirience...

could you glass the underside of an EVC top? probably, but it wouldn't increase the strength of the top sheet of plastic at all and would add a lot more weight. You'd want to pull a full top, pull apart the sandwitched materials adn then go at it reinforcing the thing ... at that point youv'e spent who knows how much time, money and effort into something that probably won't last another 20 years tho.

i really think that i'll be looking at importing lwb t4 tops in the future..

DenverB - lemme know if you decide to do- or want to reasearch that further. I live in Charleston and could get 'em at the port.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

This is a common problem with those pop top camper trailers. They use that same crappy ABS plastic that's all the rage in the US RV industry.

A neighbor of mine took his top off (it was a Coleman pop top trailer). It was two layers with wood in between. So, he filled the gaps with expandable foam (it took plenty and needed plenty of access holes on the bottom to fill it properly). He sanded the whole outside down. Then he found something used for boat hull repairs (some sort of final outside coating to go over the fiberglass). Put like three coats on it. Then sanded that down and painted it white.

In the end, it was heavier but it looked really good. It sat outside for years and the top ended up looking better than the rest of it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

I top load a 100 lb dinghy on my MV to take it to the Cape.

I use pool noodles to rest the load, and tie down with Nylon boat cleats on the fiberglass top which are nut bolted on and backed with 1 inch fender washers.

6 years now and about 30 8 hour round trips like this.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
The Weestfalia (weekender top) is fiberglass with multiple layers of wood inside.

So, it's a pressed composite of molded wood veneer and fiberglass?... or is the wood more of a structural wood frame? Anyone know how many fiberglass layers, or how thick the finished composite is? Would love to know more about the layup of the OEM Weekender tops (2001-2003 in particular, if different from the earlier years).
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

I haven't seen one cut totally apart.

But....I can tell you from drilling through them that the 1993-2003 tops have two layers of wood sandwiched in the fiberglass and separated by an air gap.

I've drilled holes the whole length of these tops to install Yakima rack rails. Total thickness is a bit under an inch. I've aways had to buy longer bolts (1.25" I think) to get through the tops.

They did change the tops though. The 1993 tops are totally smooth on the top. All the nuts are built in. The later tops have "filler plugs" on the outside where all the nut holes go.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Interesting! That's thicker than I would have guessed. I wonder if the two layers of wood that are sandwiched w/air between them have some sort of fairly tight vertical structure inside, like honeycomb / Nida-Core or the like. I would guess it does (would make it much more rigid torsionally).

Do you happen to recall about how thick the wood pieces were, and/or how big the air gap was?

Thanks for the info!
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Related to this, and probably a oft-repeated question (sorry!.. I haven't been able to find the answer here yet): does anyone make a DIY Weekender-like conversion pop-top that A) is available in the U.S. (even if shipped from abroad) and B) doesn't require onsite installation by the manufacturer.

i.e. something that an ace like Xtremjeepn could use to convert an tin-top into a pop-top, without having to have a Weekender "donor vehicle":
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625089
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: