Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geraldcrewcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

I think the last owner was, see facebook, patrick age but I think then the bus was completely devalued by a repaint..... Crying or Very sad
VW_Barndoor_Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

The story starts in 2016 on the site willhaben.at, a VW T1 Deluxe is advertised, a real barn find from 1952 that was awakened from its sleep 50 years ago in a barn in Austria. a few saw and read the ad, it was written too well to be real and there were no photos either, after 30 minutes the ad was deleted because it was just a fake.....? no, it's a real story and real barndoor deluxe from may 1952 with a breathtaking story and a happy owner from austria, who just lives 5km in the neighboring village at the right time and is on his way home, checking the advertisements every day and not his eyes dare, go home, put money in the bag, pack the trailer behind you and be the first to get to the seller. we will tell the history of the 52 in detail. The car will celebrate its rebirth on May 20th at Ben Pon 2023, exactly on its 71st birthday

Due to the overall condition, the owner decided to restore the 52, this decision was not easy for him, but in the end it is his decision!

May the VW_Barndoor_Force be with you everybody, always 🙌🏻

Open every Days your eyes, they are out there and sleep 😴

Last edited by VW_Barndoor_Force on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Barndoor_Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

geraldcrewcab wrote:
I think the last owner was, see facebook, patrick age but I think then the bus was completely devalued by a repaint..... Crying or Very sad

I find cutting holes in the roofs of the old ladys where they don't belong and then mistreating them with a roller is a much greater shame, but each individual's dreams are alive
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Repaint Reply with quote

Gotta say, I’m with Gerald!
Up there as one of the most epic Vintage VW misjudgments

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

terrible decision and not understandable in the modern age, not like it was the mid 90's
kalymnos Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Repaint Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Gotta say, I’m with Gerald!
Up there as one of the most epic Vintage VW misjudgments

When I was looking for a Barndoor DLX about 2 years ago, I was offered this vehicle in restored condition. When I saw this photo of the condition of the find as the negotiations progressed, I refrained from my purchase intentions.

Last edited by kalymnos on Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

Holy smokes what a shame
VW_Barndoor_Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

There we have them again, the barndoor experts or those who just have something to say or think they have to say something. If Fake Barndoor Deluxe are presented, then you will be celebrated, if entire buses are made of green sheet metal, then you will be celebrated, a photo appears, nobody, absolutely nobody has seen the 52 Deluxe in fun condition! The car had accidents and rust holes everywhere, clearly the car is 71 years old and has been deregistered since '67 in a damp barn, everything has been worked on. Quite apart from the fact that there is a manageable number of 52 Deluxe owners, not everyone has to deal with the question of what they would do if they ever owned one...
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Not buying it Reply with quote

VW_Barndoor_Force wrote:
The car had accidents, a paint finish from the late 80’s and rust holes everywhere // everything has been worked on

Yes, apologies…it was a proper piece of sh*t! 😂

busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

VW_Barndoor_Force wrote:
The story starts in 2016 on the site willhaben.at, a VW T1 Deluxe is advertised, a real barn find from 1952 that was awakened from its sleep 50 years ago in a barn in Austria. a few saw and read the ad, it was written too well to be real and there were no photos either, after 30 minutes the ad was deleted because it was just a fake.....? no, it's a real story and real barndoor deluxe from may 1952 with a breathtaking story and a happy owner from austria, who just lives 5km in the neighboring village at the right time and is on his way home, checking the advertisements every day and not his eyes dare, go home, put money in the bag, pack the trailer behind you and be the first to get to the seller. we will tell the history of the 52 in detail. The car will celebrate its rebirth on May 20th at Ben Pon 2023, exactly on its 71st birthday

Due to the overall condition, the owner decided to restore the 52, this decision was not easy for him, but in the end it is his decision!

May the VW_Barndoor_Force be with you everybody, always 🙌🏻

Open every Days your eyes, they are out there and sleep 😴

Purely out of interest Manfred, what’s the deal with the paint? If it was discovered in 2016 after 50 years “sleeping” in a barn, my maths says it was parked there in 1966, but you’ve also stated in the above post that it was repainted in the 1980’s? It looks OG to me? It really is an amazing find. I don’t think people are hating, just upsetting to see such a time capsule lost forever ….
airc00led
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

I think now it's time to say some words - normally i stay in the background Smile

first of all this is absolutely no justification, only some facts.

i'm the owner of the bus - now i have to withdraw some misinformation

the bus was definately not first paint beside around 5% on the roof, it had massive accidents - they was repaired in the early sixties - and trust me, the quality of repairs in the 60s for a 10 year old bus was all beside good. we also had to repair the frame from the massive accidents, some parts were wrong and from later buses - the front was from a early 60 bus.

for sure, when you post some pictures it should look good - how many people in the internet do that? do you think all the models look exactly like on the pictures? Very Happy
it was shiny because of silicone Razz

The bus was FULL of putty and really in bad condition. And be realistic, is it better to let the 5% original paint be and fake 95% of the paint as a first paint? i don't think so. in my opinion it's a look a like then.

finally - it was and is my desicion - i love the bus at it is and honestly this is the most important part.

btw: i got many cars and motorcycles - most of them are og-paint - so i know you can't rebuild a original condition Smile

And thanks a lot to the vw_barndoor_force :-* to make my dream come true like I want and finish the bus (it was actually repainted when it comes to Manfred Razz) - with new paint and fully restored Razz

i hope to have some nice contact at BenPon on the 71st birthday of this incredible bus Smile

Have a good one Smile
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Signwritten Reply with quote

Sounds disastrous, with only one option left.

Please post up some pictures of the damage, or before restoration photos.
These would be interesting to see, and would help understand the fixing actions taken.

In the meantime, here are are some pictures partway through disassembly.

Looks like a radio came with it. Everett will have to up his offer.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

airc00led wrote:
I think now it's time to say some words - normally i stay in the background Smile

the bus was definately not first paint beside around 5% on the roof, it had massive accidents - they was repaired in the early sixties - and trust me, the quality of repairs in the 60s for a 10 year old bus was all beside good. we also had to repair the frame from the massive accidents, some parts were wrong and from later buses - the front was from a early 60 bus.

for sure, when you post some pictures it should look good - how many people in the internet do that? do you think all the models look exactly like on the pictures? Very Happy

The bus was FULL of putty and really in bad condition. And be realistic, is it better to let the 5% original paint be and fake 95% of the paint as a first paint? i don't think so. in my opinion it's a look a like then.

finally - it was and is my desicion - i love the bus at it is and honestly this is the most important part.

btw: i got many cars and motorcycles - most of them are og-paint - so i know you can't rebuild a original condition Smile

And thanks a lot to the vw_barndoor_force :-* to make my dream come true like I want and finish the bus (it was actually repainted when it comes to Manfred Razz) - with new paint and fully restored Razz

i hope to have some nice contact at BenPon on the 71st birthday of this incredible bus Smile

Have a good one Smile

Hi Patrik (I think?). Thanks for the info. I’ve seen some photos from Manfred, but great to hear the backstory from yourself.

I’m someone that works hard to bring back these old vehicles from the dead like you, but for my sins I also try and save any originality that I can. I don’t suppose you have any of old faded red belt-line deluxe trim insert left? I’m looking for some for my deluxe but most people just throw it away.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Ben
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

Since the bus has German occupation zone repro plates in the 'as restored now' pic.
I wonder if this bus was imported into Austria as a wreck from Germany in the 1950s60s or if this was a genuine Austrian delivery.
Back then a lot of wrecked/damaged buses were imported privately and then rebuilt/painted, obviously for financial reason.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

airc00led, thanks for all the clarification as I’m sure it was difficult to stay silent.
Looking forward to the reveal for its birthday Cool

airc00led wrote:

I

Have a good one Smile

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos RockStock, definitely informative. I hope Patrik has some to share of the restoration process. In the modern era a well documented and photographed build is definitely important to establishing the quality and value of the car and the work put into the bus. Is the build documented elsewhere? It would be great to have a thread on it.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

Those logos were super distracting
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 barndoor deluxe popped up for sale in austria yesterday Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing this bus at Ben Pon next month!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: