Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cool little thermostat for your project
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

I came across this nifty little programmable thermostatic controller today. I have a circulation fan built for my James Cook to cool the van interior when parked in the sun. Problem is the low power computer fan runs day and night unless I manually turn it on and off which requires open and closing the sliding door. I have meant to built a microcontroller and program it so it will turn on the fan when the interior temperature reaches a preset level.

This little board is under $4 shipped. Cheaper than I can buy a PIC microcontroller.

http://amzn.com/B00GWFK7FA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

Ha! I've been meaning to use computer fans in the rear quarter window vents for this very purpose. Nice find

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Ha! I've been meaning to use computer fans in the rear quarter window vents for this very purpose. Nice find

We have the same idea.

http://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot.com/2012/09/ventilation-fan-preliminary-version.html

For my Vanagon Camper, I had provisioned a pair of wire up to the skylight meaning to put a fan there to extract cooking fume circa 2003. Still haven't finish the project. Now you can get very quiet low power computer fan of about 8" diameter that will be perfect for the Vanagon skylight.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

For those want a more plug and play and don't mind the space need to mount it, this is an alternative with housing. It draws max of 250mA, however. I suspect the little board draw less, or I can hack out the relay to save some power.

http://amzn.com/B019I3YCFS

You can use it as thermostat, I think, for your Propex if you fancy.

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

Wanting an excuse to go for a drive in Isolde, I went to Fry's to shop for a large and quiet computer fan. I have been planning a design for an extractor fan for mounting onto the skylight as a circulator to keep the cabin cool when parked in summery sun. Heat is bad for just about anything, and in Westfalia the cabinet plastic molding shrinks and deteriorates.

I had built such a fan for my James Cook

http://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot.com/2012/09/ventilation-fan-preliminary-version.html

eat your hearts out

always fun to go electronics shopping

these are what I am here for

the finalists - the one with the white blades is more expensive, but quieter and lower CFM

It was a tough choice as I was extremely concern about the noise trading off adequate CFM.

quality won the day, I chose the higher CFM and cheaper fan that obvious has better quality

I was concern that it may not be too happy operating in this orientation

It turns out it seems to be quite at home in this orientation - pulling air upwards out through the skylight.

12.5V represents battery voltage while parked

draws 222mA

the fan comes with a nice extension cable with detachable connectors so would be perfect to make the extractor fan stowable when not in use

I plan to integrate the programmable thermostatic controller into the fan assembly. It will however take some time to arrive via slow boat from China. So far the financial damage of the project is $17.

More to come as I fashion a support for it.

my blog post:
http://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot.com/2016/03/in-good-shape-isolde-part-11.html

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

I bought one of these (top photo) and played with it just now. Slight irritation, it can only display centigrade degrees. Also, the readout cannot be shut off, so it will consume power even while idling and when you don’t care to see the bright red numbers. Blue would have been more comforting for campervans, but they don’t make one.

The indicator LED is also bright red, which adds to the bright redness of the digits. Not exactly stealthy.

Also, the sensor is sort of short. Because it is a sensor, splicing extension wires may not be a good idea.

At this price, I can chuck it in e-waste and buy a fahrenheit model. It looks like there is no model that has a darkenable display.

Documentation here: http://www.mpja.com/download/32184mp.pdf

Last edited by Gnarlodious on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I bought one of these and played with it just now. Slight irritation, it can only display centigrade degrees. Also, the readout cannot be shut off, so it will consume power even while idling and when you don’t care to see the bright red numbers. Blue would have been more comforting for campervans, but they don’t make one.

At this price, I can chuck it in e-waste and buy a fahrenheit model.

Thanks for the feedback.What you found are exactly what I thought of before buying it. I anticipated that I can easily hack it to turn off the LED display, and if necessary, bypass the relay to save additional say 50mA consumed by it.

$4 is a no-brainer investment even just for a few hour of fun.

Mine have yet to show up as it is on a slow boat from China.

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

Any chance you can measure the current the board consumes, with the relay energize? You have the duty of community service as you are one that has it. Laughing

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

Fluke 117 says 68mA with the relay engaged, 18mA idling. Not too bad, actually! Good guess on the relay power.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Fluke 117 says 68mA with the relay engaged, 18mA idling. Not too bad, actually! Good guess on the relay power.

Big thanks!

My guess is based on experience with 5V relay of similar size which often draws around 100mA. Just lucky.

If you trace the 7-segment displays, they are likely share one common ground or Vcc and that may be the place to disable the displays. Only a guess if it is normally pulled up to Vcc and the chip drive the diode to ground to light it up, or vice versa. A bit of tracing with a DMM should find out. You might also able to reduce the brightness a bit by increasing the current limit resistor(s). Going too far would likely show the uneven illumination of the segments.

68mA is not bad at all with the relay energized.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

Not really relevant for me because I will run a 7 amp electric blanket on it while plugged in to shore power. The dimming resistor is a good idea though, but for that much work I think I’d go for a fahrenheit model with a longer sensor wire:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151331886632

Then I would replace the red digits with blue ones. When I run out of projects Very Happy
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

I don't mean to be a simpleton, but why can't I just buy a $10 12-volt Honeywell thermostat and be done with it? Off the shelf product and I don't need an electronics degree to hook it up, build a housing or mess with some plc controller. Am I missing something?

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cool little thermostat for your project Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I don't mean to be a simpleton, but why can't I just buy a $10 12-volt Honeywell thermostat and be done with it? Off the shelf product and I don't need an electronics degree to hook it up, build a housing or mess with some plc controller. Am I missing something?

Absolutely, if for a few hundred mA of load. Simple is good. A small disadvantage is you have to put it where you want to sense. The little board does give you some latitude of placing the thermistor.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: