Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

I have a VW Beetle wiring harness. The numbers on the box are 81-5510-N, 021003, WH-292, and 004875. Can anyone tell me by these numbers what years this wiring harness is for? Thanks.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

Folks have been recommended against buying a JC Whitney harness for 20 years. So, how about you simply ask JC Whitney? Their site will be more help for their stuff I'd bet.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

J C Whitney formerly Warshawsky is a retail warehouse supplier they did not manufacture anything of consequence. They purchased the least expensive items they could, to appeal to the masses. After selling the cheapest their reputation has declined. Most of their harnesses were generic just like everyone elses no different.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=127651
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

is this it? looks like it's "Painless" brand - which I doubt is truley painless. Some people like them though

http://www.streetperformance.com/part/painless-wir...wh292.html
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

I think it is the painless. I might try to post a photo of the actual wiring harness. The harness appears to be original to the box. I sold this harness to someone and can't remember what year car they had, maybe 1967. They returned it saying it was about 2' short. That's why I am questioning for what year it is.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

One thought: While the wiring diagram looks the same for 1962 through 1965, the harness routing changed for model year 1965, to be along the floor instead of along the roof. And this added some length to that front/back section of it. I've got a 66 harness in my 61 and it's too long, but still usable. If you went the other way around, it would be too short, (I don't know about 2 feet shorter though)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

There is always the possibility the buyer did not try to install it correctly. I'll try to post a pic soon. Maybe that will shed some light?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

2 foot short would indicate it is probably mislabeled or in the wrong box and possibly for a dune buggy.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

I'm going to try to post some pics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

That "GENERNATOR" tag might be a quality indicator! Rolling Eyes
VWAL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

So I noticed.Smile
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

I have this same harness above for a '67 bug.

Anyone have the same harness with these 5 sheets they can email me that are more clear? Thanks

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

How about calling the 1-800 number printed right on the thing? I'm not trying to be crass- but there can not be very many owners of that harness.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
How about calling the 1-800 number printed right on the thing? I'm not trying to be crass- but there can not be very many owners of that harness.

I called them already. They're unable to supply any of the sheets... which is why I am asking here. So tell me.. what makes this harness so bad and other ones much better?
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

Checking again if anyone might have installed one of these harnesses? Thx
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

The kit car forum of Samba might yield the answer, kit car folks often buy aftermarket harnesses.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:

Part of my bitterness is because I did- in 1986 when I was a broke dick 17 year old and nobody else made harnesses anywhere near as cheap. It was not hard to install- but had no regard for factory style terminations or color code.

Your best bet for lack of support from those a-holes is to send it back or sit and translate every wire- marking each end while looking at another correct harness and diagram. I'm being honest here- because there is no way your problem would still be happening in my garage for as long as you have had it.

Your instructions say right on them- call for technical assistance. Call them and tell them to sit down, this will take awhile. Because they are fockers- they get to transcribe each and every instruction and label to you over the phone. I think they'll find fresh copies for you instead.

I'm not kidding here. If you do not label every wire- you will hate yourself at the side of the road trying to use ANY shop manual published as your guide. There are no CCHs or Bentleys that have a separate diagram marked "Just for JCW harnesses"

Send that back to JCW- or make them send you clean paper, in English with a proper translating diagram.

FU#5
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

Part of my bitterness is because I did- in 1986 when I was a broke dick 17 year old and nobody else made harnesses anywhere near as cheap. It was not hard to install- but had no regard for factory style terminations or color code.

Your best bet for lack of support from those a-holes is to send it back or sit and translate every wire- marking each end while looking at another correct harness and diagram. I'm being honest here- because there is no way your problem would still be happening in my garage for as long as you have had it.

Your instructions say right on them- call for technical assistance. Call them and tell them to sit down, this will take awhile. Because they are fockers- they get to transcribe each and every instruction and label to you over the phone. I think they'll find fresh copies for you instead.

I'm not kidding here. If you do not label every wire- you will hate yourself at the side of the road trying to use ANY shop manual published as your guide. There are no CCHs or Bentleys that have a separate diagram marked "Just for JCW harnesses"

Send that back to JCW- or make them send you clean paper, in English with a proper translating diagram.

I already told you..I called them already. They don't sell it anymore and can offer no support and no copies. Looking for someone who actually installed this harness, not ones who just have opinions about it. I don't mind labeling any non-labeled wires after I figure out what they are for. I did use the bag of wires buggy harness in my dune buggy so this might not be rocket science to figure out..If it is I just won't use it.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney VW Beetle Wiring Harness Question Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
The kit car forum of Samba might yield the answer, kit car folks often buy aftermarket harnesses.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: