Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hehr jalousie windows
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

You're windows look great.
I'm done with the photo / logic approach.
Will come back if I have printed matter.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

Well, I'm back... but I don't have any printed matter.
But, videos are fun & I have one for you.

So besides contacting the last living Hehr 2187 assemblyman & video interviewing them... I can get you the same result with a qualitative test.

Here's the required pre-video understanding....
Aluminum is a good electrical conductor.
Anodizing aluminum makes it non-conductive.
Multimeter leads on an anodized piece of aluminum read infinite resistance.

Let's go over that one more time...
"Aluminum Anodizing is an electrochemical process that creates a thin aluminum oxide film on the surface of aluminum substrates. The resulting anodized film is electrically non-conductive, protects the aluminum against corrosion and is resistant to wear."

Enjoy... (don't worry, I won't quit my day job to become a videographer)

Link

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

From 0:42 through 0:44 it shows full conductivity.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

Yes, I noticed that and obtained a re-read.
Maybe the sharp tips of my leads got below a layer.
I'll reiterate... anodizing is a surface coating.

It's something you can all try at home. Knock yourself out.
Ideally replicating the test on unbuffed/unwire-wheeled material... with leads not landing on patches of corrosion or pressed too deep into the metal.

I had infinite resistance on the windows on other side of the bus, at each of the confirmed as anodized tent mounts. That blip you saw was the outlier.

There's also another qualitative method, I haven't tried yet.
Aluminum is soft.
Anodizing is hard.
When I have a window out... I imagine the inside of the frame is more pristine.
I'll find a material harder than aluminum, but softer than steel... and then rub it on the frame.
If the material is left on the frame... the frame is hard (anodized).
If the frame is gouged... it's soft, not anodized.
I imagine the shape of the instrument matters... will have to read.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

Sorry just getting back to this thread and see that a question was directed my way.
I believe mine were mill finish and not anodized based on the following evidence:
1) I bought the bus from the original owner in original condition. The windows had never been apart, or off the bus, clearly. The bus had been off the road and under a carport since 1980. The bus lived its whole life in south Texas.
2) When I took the windows completely apart, the aluminum was oxidized. However, it would easily polish up where it was not pitted. Anodizing inhibits pitting but it also inhibits polishing. Anyone who has attempted to polish an anodized part experiences this--first you have to remove the surface coating before you can get anywhere. If the window frames had been anodized, I would have known about it. Same thing for the interior screen frames. They polished up easily.
3) Under the fasteners and the sealant, the surface was not shiny like one would expect if there was a surface coating.
4) I polished my frames six or so years ago, I think. At that point, I had them clear powder coated before reassembly. Of course they still look freshly polished and the bus is always in the garage so I cannot speak to how long the finish lasts out in the weather.

I don't have any interest in the argument over what these windows should look like in a 100% factory restoration because I don't care. I wanted my windows and other trinkets super shiny so I polished every aluminum part on the bus except the carb and the fuel pump, (those got bead blasted) because I think it looks nice and I built this thing for me.

That's all I got.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

At my job... I challenge & get challenged everyday.
So, I tend to appreciate the questioning attitude / devil's advocate position... rather than take it personally.

So, if you can't tell... that was my introduction into me eating crow Razz
Mmmm.... num, num, num

I talked to some Hehr folks at several of their facilities & ended up talking with a corporate engineer. Right where I wanted to be.

I sent him a page DadaCheese found of an old Hehr catalog... and some other window pics. Asked him to look into it. There was plenty to lead me to believe it's anodized. Turns out: NOT anodized.

One kinda weird thing... the engineer said the glass isn't safety glass... but the catalog page DadaCheese has says it is? Maybe it wasn't in the beginning... and then was later on. EDIT: maybe safety glass meant laminated

Here's his reply (probably have to click it, to make it big enough to read):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the page DadaCheese found:

Last edited by easy e on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
At my job... I challenge & get challenged everyday.
So, I tend to appreciate the questioning attitude / devil's advocate position... rather than take it personally.

So, if you can't tell... that was my introduction into me eating crow Razz
Mmmm.... num, num, num

Turns out: NOT anodized.

Well, persistence paid off, now we know. on to the next mystery Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
It's something you can all try at home. Knock yourself out.

Using the same meter you have I tried everywhere on my jalousies. No matter where I touch it is continuous. Bus is from original owner and was parked at the sea for 12 years and near it before that. I didn't disassemble the frames but held the whole perimeters to a buffing wheel with rouge 30 years ago.

Edit: oh, I just read your post.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

easy, thank you for your research; thanks as well as to Barry, Crofty, and M. Woody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
One kinda weird thing... the engineer said the glass isn't safety glass... but the catalog page DadaCheese has says it is? Maybe it wasn't in the beginning... and then was later on. EDIT: maybe safety glass meant laminated

For the louvers there was laminated and tempered. Tempered is heavy and doesn't de-laminate.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

Originally, laminated glass WAS safety glass. It was the second generation after regular old plate glass which was phased out for obvious reasons in the late 20s early 30s. At the same time, glass suppliers were developing tempered plate glass on their way to contoured tempered glass. Nowadays, the only glass on a car that is not tempered safety glass is likely the windshield. At least in the US.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Well, it's been a month since I invited the two Hehr restorers to provide a basis for the provided finish.
Absent a clarifying response by someone that has their hand on them often, here's some indirectly related info, supporting an anodized finish... not polished, brushed, "satin", etc...

Some NOS westy tent mounts (thanks Terence/Corey).
They don't appear to be polished at all, but rough cast & barely hit with a file... and then they went to the anodizer.

I imagine window metal was produced in the same fashion... created, then provided corrosion protection. Seems as if a type of exterior metal had a finish spec... the (protective) finish would be expected everywhere the same metal was encountered.
"

Don't hold your breath. Apparently, they both feel that small bit of knowledge is their own to profit from. Not judging, but I think it's rather silly. The people who will use their services are not the ones who would take on such a big project based solely on a tidbit of resto knowledge. The amount of business they will loose by talking is minuscule. I'm sure they've asked others for "proprietary".

I'm in agreeance with you about the matt anodized unpolished finish. When I see windows done highly polished I sort of roll my eyes. Not how they came from Westfalia, that's for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

fotoroadie wrote:
swharris,

To address your questions:

The technique I've developed came hard learned with much trial & error. To share that with you would only bring back painful memories. So send your windows to me & save yourself all that pain & suffering. Maybe we can barter for some of those extra windows you have.
Bby

Thanks for most of your help, though I am a bit perplexed at the above answer. And to your question to, uh trade you windows, would bring back painful memories of getting up at 3 in the morning slogging through the rain @ Pomona 20 years ago just to pick them up for 5 bucks a piece. ;-P
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

Maybe JFB & fotoroadie are making a buck from developing a skill at doctoring up windows... and that's fine. Even saying they are "restoring" them is fine.

It all depends on your perspective.
One person might say "I'd like Neil Pickett to restore my bus."
Another might say Chip Foose.
"Restoration" is a pretty loose term.

I just wanted to get to the bottom of the material finish.... because I've got some windows that need attention.
Galvanized hardware might not seem like the greatest... but I don't want stainless. Neither restorers offer original hardware. If they did, I'd be halfway to asking for a quote.

But, whatever finish is provided... removes the factory "mill finish" & a sort of emulation (with less corrosion resistance) remains.

I'll likely send out my disassembled frames for stripping, polishing to get the pits out, and dull / satin anodizing. This is still an emulation, but it'll look good... and have inherent corrosion protection. I'll find the original type hardware & post sources... whenever I get to that point. Ah crap, I might as well start plugging away at it now.

A company I've used before: www.kingoftrim.com
They're not cheap... but I consider this a Gene Berg moment (cry once).

The two restorers apparently provide good looking windows & do a lot of work.
It's just not for me... on the bus in my queue.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

A company I've used before: www.kingoftrim.com
They're not cheap... but I consider this a Gene Berg moment (cry once).

Thanks. They are local to me which is nice.
spaardingske
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

could i use the hehr windows with the round corners in a panelvan ?
fotoroadie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

spaardingske wrote:
could i use the hehr windows with the round corners in a panelvan ?

The answer is no. The reason is that the side profile needs to hug the curve of the body & the round corner ones are flat.
The corners are rounded so as to fit into the window cavity.
See attached examples

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

I've never seen one of those contoured hehe windows but I've seen plenty of flat ones.... All with square corners. They fit panel vans just fine. If you cut the hole the right size and use a thick gasket the round corner window should work... But if you want the square corner one I'm sure someone would be willing to trade.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I've never seen one of those contoured hehe windows but I've seen plenty of flat ones.... All with square corners. They fit panel vans just fine. If you cut the hole the right size and use a thick gasket the round corner window should work... But if you want the square corner one I'm sure someone would be willing to trade.

From someone who is currently trying to fix a panel that had the square flat windows cut into it, I don't think they actually do fit. Mine had a pretty serious amount of sealant in the gap between the window and the body even with the sides of the metal beat in to make a makeshift flange. To make it both look good from the outside and seal, you'd really need to have the contoured ones.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hehr jalousie windows Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Aeron wrote:
Would ...all the fittings fit directly on to the window frame of a Split microbus?

There will be a vertical hinge most likely on the microbus that should be removed. I don't know first hand but I think I read on here that you can leave the hinge and get away with it.

Old thread, so my response is really late but yes you can leave the hinge there.
I have jalousie windows in a 1966 Deluxe with the hinges still in tact.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: