Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to clean discolored headliner?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a tip on what to use to fix this 'two tone' headliner situation after having removed the AC tunnel. PO was a smoker unfortunately....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So far I've tried typical kitchen-type degreasing cleaners, bleach/water. No significant improvement so far.

Would prefer not to have to replace as it is otherwise in good shape, and paint would be a PIA.

Thanks for any ideas.[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

I'd try Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

just call it a racing stripe and leave it alone:)

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

probably not the most kosher suggestion and some will cringe:

Sprayaway glass cleaner and a microfiber towell (or ten). you'll rub your fingers raw, but that combination will remove the grime from the vinyl and get it closer to the original (nicotene stainless) color. Sprayaway also makes auto interior cleaner, but trust me the glass cleaner is the way to go...

It is alcohol-based, so when you're done I would wipe it well with wet (water) rags then put on a conditioner or vinyl spray (meguiars ultra shine for that fresh-cut coconut smell).

worst case: you can dye the stuff. I would require some taping (okay, lots of taping), but you could find a suitable neutral color of carpet/vinyl dye and go to town. Itll even out the color all around (the stuff covers stains well too) -- something like these three colors may work:

http://www.autodetailingwarehouse.com/store/p/13-Aerosol-Carpet-Dye-Beige.aspx

http://www.autodetailingwarehouse.com/store/p/40-Aerosol-Carpet-Dye-Off-White.aspx

http://www.autodetailingwarehouse.com/store/p/47-Aerosol-Carpet-Dye-White.aspx

that stuff is amazing and I use it (a different color) to dye ABS plastic in Eurovans back to OG color. Even the light colors will cover dark stains on the ABS perfectly...

'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

I repainted mine in VHT "vinyl dye" spray (grey). A lot of taping required and plastic protection everywhere (don't leave a single hole, because spray paint will go in there and mist over everything, as it will form a mist inside the van). Good respirator required, and ventilation.

Someone already mentioned magic eraser for cleaning, but you can also try a mixture of water with baking soda, and white vinegar. But be careful to not put drops over everything, it will leave white marks.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

Meguiars makes a heavy duty vinyl cleaner in a TAN bottle

the maroon bottle stuff is less effective

it that does not work, then maybe a new headliner (or spray paint) is in order
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
probably not the most kosher suggestion and some will cringe:

Sprayaway glass cleaner and a microfiber towell (or ten). you'll rub your fingers raw, but that combination will remove the grime from the vinyl and get it closer to the original (nicotene stainless) color. Sprayaway also makes auto interior cleaner, but trust me the glass cleaner is the way to go...

It is alcohol-based, so when you're done I would wipe it well with wet (water) rags then put on a conditioner or vinyl spray (meguiars ultra shine for that fresh-cut coconut smell).

worst case: you can dye the stuff. I would require some taping (okay, lots of taping), but you could find a suitable neutral color of carpet/vinyl dye and go to town. Itll even out the color all around (the stuff covers stains well too) -- something like these three colors may work:

http://www.autodetailingwarehouse.com/store/p/13-Aerosol-Carpet-Dye-Beige.aspx

http://www.autodetailingwarehouse.com/store/p/40-Aerosol-Carpet-Dye-Off-White.aspx

http://www.autodetailingwarehouse.com/store/p/47-Aerosol-Carpet-Dye-White.aspx

that stuff is amazing and I use it (a different color) to dye ABS plastic in Eurovans back to OG color. Even the light colors will cover dark stains on the ABS perfectly...

Impressive work. Idea Does it look as good in person as the photo? I know how hard is to restore faded or sun-yellowed plastic and vinyl.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

you could take up smoking, the clean section will then darken

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
I'm looking for a tip on what to use to fix this 'two tone' headliner situation after having removed the AC tunnel. PO was a smoker unfortunately....

So far I've tried typical kitchen-type degreasing cleaners, bleach/water. No significant improvement so far.

Would prefer not to have to replace as it is otherwise in good shape, and paint would be a PIA.

Thanks for any ideas.[/img]
+

I've have had great success cleaning grungy headliners with Spray9. Wear eye and breathing protection. Leave it sit for a while. Then have a bucket of nearly scalding hot water and towel and wipe off the Spray9 and grunge. It's very effective.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

maybe due to UV one the other part - if so, there is a fix - a new headliner
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

A friend of mine swears by this stuff called " La's Totally Awesome". He gets it at Family dollar. I just picked up 3 bottles and will be trying it on my headliner this evening. Will report back with results...
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
maybe due to UV exposure on the other part - if so, there is a fix - a new headliner
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

You are obvious not an experienced painter or detailer Rolling Eyes . To even out the shades he need to carefully mask off the yellowed sections. Faster result like 15 years instead of 25 if he chain smoke.

I remember there is a thread that someone repainted the headliner with good result.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
maybe due to UV one the other part - if so, there is a fix - a new headliner

or the vinyl dye suggested above.

All of the discoloration on those panels is from UV damage.

tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

i just resprayed my entire headliner in my Adventurewagen front to back.
I used SEM vinyl, plastic paint.
it is about 20$ a can but is the best. it's not that hard to do, obviously make sure you tape/mask everything and open everything up,in the van to get the overspray out quickly. If you're a person who will be bothered by it not being "right" than it will be a really satisfying project for you. They make a lot of colors so finding a very close match should be easy.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

Zep formula 50, a small nylon scrub brush, and a few turkish towels.
One wet with rinse water, the other to dry.

Allow to soak for a few minutes till the nicotine starts dripping off.
Rinse, & dry.

White, off white can be difficult to get back to the same as the middle section.

If after the Formula 50 it isn't quite white enough, spray some Chlorox on the stained area, brush again, allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse again.

This will be the closest of a match you'll get without dying the entire headliner.

SEM works well, but a big pain to paint it all.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

If after the Formula 50 it isn't quite white enough, spray some Chlorox on the stained area, brush again, allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse again.

This will be the closest of a match you'll get without dying the entire headliner.

SEM works well, but a big pain to paint it all.

Seems like taking the same amount of time to throw down a drop cloth and tape up some plastic would pay off in spades when you dye the whole thing back to one solid (albeit not quite stock) colored headliner. The dye dries in five minutes flat, it's a huge, flat (okay, slightly curved) surface.... Dude can do two coats and be done with the painting in a half-hour.

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

Detailed many semi interiors.
The headliners were always heavy nicotine stained.

Zep worked well , and fast.

The issue with painting the headliner is seeing as you can't possibly prepare the matrial properly prior to painting is it will eventually start rolling off.

Tell me how to sand & prep a vinyl headliner to give the vinyl some tooth.

Sem works very well on hard plastic that you can prep.
Not so with un-prepped vinyl.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to clean discolored headliner? Reply with quote

that's why you use vinyl dye, not paint.

I've not prepped one thing of hard abs plastic before dyeing other than an ISO wipedown. No peeling whatsoever.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: