Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

This post will hopefully help those doing the increasingly popular ABA 2.0 inline swap.

The factory ABA hoses used on later 99+ cabrios used a modular design that lets you use off-the shelf VW hoses to route the coolant exactly as it was designed via VW but using a much better route. The upper/large ABA hose really doesn't work in a Vanagon.

Things/parts you will need:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(3) lower coolant hoses 2002 cabrio PN 037 122 058
(1) upper coolant hose 2002 cabrio PN 1HM 122 101 B
various vw spring clamps
(1) roll of 5/8" ID heater hose
(1) AEB lower thermostat housing for waterpump PN 030 121 121 B

You will reassemble the hoses so they fit better using the Vanagon Diesel brackets. Note int he pics I have a set of my carrier bars and mounts used but this coolant line routing works with the 82-83 Vanagon Diesel bars/brackets as well.

Bolt up the AEB/ATW t-stat housing:

Re-configure the coolant lines off the back coolant flange on the head so it looks like this:

the line on the right of the pic faces forward so you can attach the heaterhose line going forward to the heatercore/s

This will take some time, but reconfigure everything else you have left from the 4 coolant hoses to look like this around the waterpump:

MORE TO FOLLOW...
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy THANK YOU!! Very Happy Very Happy

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Ian, are those mounts using the aircooled/WBX mustache bar?

icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
Ian, are those mounts using the aircooled/WBX mustache bar?

yes!

Vanagon mustache bar moved back @3-4" and using a3 golf/jetta hydraulic mounts. Wink alternator clears decklid no issues
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Nice setup...maybe I will upgrade in a year or two!! I have some questions on the cooling lines. The flange of the back of the head...i see I will need a double 90* plastic piece. One line feeds the heater core (whi h I am not installing now), and the other feeds back into the Rad feed from the engine...correct?

Next the upper water pump inlet, did that just get rerouted back towards the flwheel into the rad feed line?

icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

the double 90 is the lower cabrio waterpump outlet hose just applied the the hose out of the back of the black plastic flange. In my pic, the outer (right) hose goes fwd to the heatercore. The left hose in the picture is 5/8"ID heaterhose and connects to the upper waterpump 90deg fitting from the other picture showing the mess around the waterpump. This is how vw designed the cooling system on the ABA, so I did it exactly how they did, just using differnt coolant lines that fit better in the vanagon.
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

super cheesy paint rendition :

VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Thannks for the pics...they help alot. I just recreated the water pump mess you showed...minus the tstat cover(its in the mail). This pic is what I dont know what to do with. It's the thin metal line and the 3 way flange on back of head and the little line on back of head

icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

the thin metal "crack pipe" as it's called goes away...repurpose a portion of it the T the bottle in.

Get a coolant flange for the head from a manual trans ABA...the cabrios were autos and the flange has more lines coming off it on the cabby version...

the rightmost line in you pics get taken off and replaced like in the pic I showed above.

the 2nd rightmost line wont be there with a manual trans flange

The large 38mm line gets shieldsflex 1-1/4"
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

icolquhoun wrote:
the thin metal "crack pipe" as it's called goes away...repurpose a portion of it the T the bottle in.

Get a coolant flange for the head from a manual trans ABA...the cabrios were autos and the flange has more lines coming off it on the cabby version...

the rightmost line in you pics get taken off and replaced like in the pic I showed above.

Ok. The line that goes away (has a gold clip).it has a stainless steel plug in the end of the line. Is this sufficient?

mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Nice job.

Great short cut on the VW parts that cross for I4 conversion! And way to sort out the complicated hose routings!

I did my conversion 2 years ago and used locally sourced and made parts!

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/79-billet-coolant-manifold-jarvik-7/#.VwAhHvkrLIU

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/82-genv-billet-thermostat-gooseneck/#.VwAiE_krLIU

Made sense for my conversion and cleaned up the install.
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
icolquhoun wrote:

Ok. The line that goes away (has a gold clip).it has a stainless steel plug in the end of the line. Is this sufficient?

yup SS solid plug should work fine.
you will notice that the crackpipe has an extra bung T to have a hose go over to the cabrio trans cooler.
I will update this post with how to turn the crackpipe into a short T to route the HC and coolant overflow bottle
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
Thannks for the pics...they help alot. I just recreated the water pump mess you showed...minus the tstat cover(its in the mail). This pic is what I dont know what to do with. It's the thin metal line and the 3 way flange on back of head and the little line on back of head

These instructions are perfect! I have one more question though. In my picture, what needs to be done with the small, single hose coming of the head?

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:

These instructions are perfect! I have one more question though. In my picture, what needs to be done with the small, single hose coming of the head?

On my ABA, that small hose off head with OEM metal clamp routes to coolant expansion tank inlet.

On that note, be wary of plastic quality on these tanks. The tank I bought new lasted some years, but likely less miles than it should've. A hole developed at the inlet nipple, under the hose. I think it was a Merle tank. It seems that on their WBX tanks, they've changed (improved) the plastic.

I now have a "Mexico" used tank installed.

On a used tank, inspect that the nipple isn't warped out of round.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
VWinVT wrote:

On my ABA, that small hose off head with OEM metal clamp routes to coolant expansion tank inlet.

On that note, be wary of plastic quality on these tanks. The tank I bought new lasted some years, but likely less miles than it should've. A hole developed at the inlet nipple, under the hose. I think it was a Merle tank. It seems that on their WBX tanks, they've changed (improved) the plastic.

I now have a "Mexico" used tank installed.

On a used tank, inspect that the nipple isn't warped out of round.

Neil.

I bought a uses Mexico tank, I will check the nipple. Are there 2 feed.lines to.the overflow tank?

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:

I bought a uses Mexico tank, I will check the nipple. Are there 2 feed.lines to.the overflow tank?

No.

1 feed in, one feed out.

Pictorial of ABA coolant flow from A3 Bentley manual. Some interpolation is required. e.g. flow shown as coming from side of head to expansion tank actually comes from hose at end of head as discussed. Red markings are not shown in manual.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
VWinVT wrote:

No.

1 feed in, one feed out.

Pictorial of ABA coolant flow from A3 Bentley manual. Some interpolation is required. e.g. flow shown as coming from side of head to expansion tank actually comes from hose at end of head as discussed. Red markings are not shown in manual.

This is what was confusing me as I was using this diagram and trying to adapt it to Ian's hose routing. But I see it now. He is streamlining the rad line from the head and moving the original of the overflow loop and heater core loop. I am going to simply loo the heater core at the engine and wait till next. Winters hibernation to install heat and AC (small car, stay tuned for that learning curve!)
Good part is I already have the upper hose assembly for this modification.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

^^

I totally understand.

Of note, use spring clamps or good quality hose clamps NOT the Home Depot type. They will work but over the long term, there's a risk the clamp will damage the hose. This has happened to me. I regret installing all those HD type clamps.
Rolling Eyes

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
^^

I totally understand.

Of note, use spring clamps or good quality hose clamps NOT the Home Depot type. They will work but over the long term, there's a risk the clamp will damage the hose. This has happened to me. I regret installing all those HD type clamps.
Rolling Eyes

Neil.

I am able to reuse many of the VW hose clamps from the engine. I hear ya on the cheap hose clamps...many episodes of frustration with leaking water lines in our pastures (when we had our dairy farm) due to those style clamps.

icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

The small line off the head has a t in it with the large hose off the side of the head to the overflow bottle on all obd2 abas that had sai pump. If you look at my diagram and read the desc for that line, I run 6" of shieldsflex off that coolant flange fwd of the "firewall" to the factory t in the large vw coolant line. This 6" allows the line to rise up and the t should be at the highest point above the trans. When the aba was at 15deg the small barbed fitting at the top of the head was the highest pt in the cooling system. Its not in a van layed over at 50deg. The t with that small line and the large 1-1/4 line at its highest pt above the trans allows air to bleed properly back to the bottle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: