Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

icolquhoun wrote:
The small line off the head has a t in it with the large hose off the side of the head to the overflow bottle on all obd2 abas that had sai pump. If you look at my diagram and read the desc for that line, I run 6" of shieldsflex off that coolant flange fwd of the "firewall" to the factory t in the large vw coolant line. This 6" allows the line to rise up and the t should be at the highest point above the trans. When the aba was at 15deg the small barbed fitting at the top of the head was the highest pt in the cooling system. Its not in a van layed over at 50deg. The t with that small line and the large 1-1/4 line at its highest pt above the trans allows air to bleed properly back to the bottle

Ok, so what do I do with that small single line off the back of the head? Cap it? It doesn't seem to serve a purpose anymore with the motor at 50*.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
icolquhoun wrote:
The small line off the head has a t in it with the large hose off the side of the head to the overflow bottle on all obd2 abas that had sai pump. If you look at my diagram and read the desc for that line, I run 6" of shieldsflex off that coolant flange fwd of the "firewall" to the factory t in the large vw coolant line. This 6" allows the line to rise up and the t should be at the highest point above the trans. When the aba was at 15deg the small barbed fitting at the top of the head was the highest pt in the cooling system. Its not in a van layed over at 50deg. The t with that small line and the large 1-1/4 line at its highest pt above the trans allows air to bleed properly back to the bottle

Ok, so what do I do with that small single line off the back of the head? Cap it? It doesn't seem to serve a purpose anymore with the motor at 50*.

run it with a t like the factory did to the overflow bottle
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

icolquhoun wrote:
VWinVT wrote:
icolquhoun wrote:

So this means there will be 2 lines feeding the top of the overflow bottle?

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
icolquhoun wrote:
VWinVT wrote:
icolquhoun wrote:

So this means there will be 2 lines feeding the top of the overflow bottle?

Yep, Helps to bleed air out of the system. Just T them together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

I made some progress today on the coolant hoses. Everything is roughed in, expect the heater core lines. I am capping the heater core line coming of the back of the head and not installing a junction of the water pump for the other heater line...heat will come next year. I will just run the line from the waterpump to the bottom of the overflow bottle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

^^^ Heck Yeah! ^^^

looking good!
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

icolquhoun wrote:
^^^ Heck Yeah! ^^^

looking good!

Thanks! Just waiting on a new input shaft seal and throwout bearing and then its going in the van! Hoping to hear the sweet sounds of RPM's in the next 2 weeks.

VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Here is my solution for the Shieldsflex connection to the water pump. I repurposed the lower rad hose to get up and over the big Diesel engine bracket.

pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Hi guys- I run VW ADY setup. Old picture now all is sorterd out.

And Im woundering about this line i have made- WITH BLUE CIRCLE.
Should I make all flow go through heater core?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Hi Pechaaa. You engine is different from the ABA engine they are talking about on the thread. If you still have the engine in the picture you just follow the diesel van cooling system in the Bentley. John
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

coolant will always take the path of least resistance.
so if you don't restrict the route in the blue circle, you will get minimal heat from the heater core.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

icolquhoun wrote:
This post will hopefully help those doing the increasingly popular ABA 2.0 inline swap.

The factory ABA hoses used on later 99+ cabrios used a modular design that lets you use off-the shelf VW hoses to route the coolant exactly as it was designed via VW but using a much better route. The upper/large ABA hose really doesn't work in a Vanagon.

Things/parts you will need:

(3) lower coolant hoses 2002 cabrio PN 037 122 058
(1) upper coolant hose 2002 cabrio PN 1HM 122 101 B
various vw spring clamps
(1) roll of 5/8" ID heater hose
(1) AEB lower thermostat housing for waterpump PN 030 121 121 B

You will reassemble the hoses so they fit better using the Vanagon Diesel brackets. Note int he pics I have a set of my carrier bars and mounts used but this coolant line routing works with the 82-83 Vanagon Diesel bars/brackets as well.

Bolt up the AEB/ATW t-stat housing:

Re-configure the coolant lines off the back coolant flange on the head so it looks like this:

the line on the right of the pic faces forward so you can attach the heaterhose line going forward to the heatercore/s

This will take some time, but reconfigure everything else you have left from the 4 coolant hoses to look like this around the waterpump:

MORE TO FOLLOW...

Guys I have a question on the part number 1HM 122 101 B upper coolant hose 2002 cabrio.

How is it set up? I cant quite get it, either im to stupid or I cant get the picture of how does it work out because for sure im not seeing it in any photo show here nor im finding the part in any part store. Plus the initial coment of "The upper/large ABA hose really doesn't work in a Vanagon." gets me all confused. Please help. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Hi Roger.

I searched part number 1HM 122 101 B and as an example, found this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Volkswagen-1HM122101B-Radiator-Coolant-Hose/dp/B007HO36QC

To me it appears that this part provides most, possibly all, of the hose parts you need to do what the original poster in this thread did.

Caveat: I have not used this part.

Neil.

this also looks like the same part. If you zoom in you can see its all put together with spring clamps so can be taken apart

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Hi Roger.

I searched part number 1HM 122 101 B and as an example, found this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Volkswagen-1HM122101B-Radiator-Coolant-Hose/dp/B007HO36QC

To me it appears that this part provides most, possibly all, of the hose parts you need to do what the original poster in this thread did.

Caveat: I have not used this part.

Neil.

this also looks like the same part. If you zoom in you can see its all put together with spring clamps so can be taken apart

Yes I did manage to find it in images everywhere but not available anywhere Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for the tip ill do my best to plumb the engine according to your sketches and the examples I just had no room to place that damn thing in to the equation Very Happy

Thanks my friend!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

I don't know if you're looking at my custom hose arrangement but I'm happy to explain that if you want.

That's strange that the Cabrio hose is not available. I use this web site to search various vehicles in various countries:

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/mex/

VW's are quite flexible with parts mix/match so I'd guess there's other VW coolant hose options available.

If you can, get the metal coolant manifold from the donor ABA. Part of that manifold provides a junction between coolant expansion bottle, heater return hose, and return path to coolant pump. It's a very useful part to have. I'd suggest prepping and painting it before install.

web page showing what I did to make that "junction"

https://sites.google.com/site/tubaneil2/shortenedcoolantpipe

Neil.

image of "manifold". That part on ABA should look similar or same.

It's possible to make that "junction" from copper plumbing pieces. Image of 50º ABA with custom coolant hoses I designed showing that "junction". If I recall correctly, I had to modify a brass pipe nipple to fit the 3/4" pipe to make the transition to connection at coolant pump:

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

It's possible to make that "junction" from copper plumbing pieces. Image of 50º ABA with custom coolant hoses I designed showing that "junction". If I recall correctly, I had to modify a brass pipe nipple to fit the 3/4" pipe to make the transition to connection at coolant pump:

Yes thats exactly like I have it set up right now I think ill run it the same way
Because I have the 1.8head I will just eliminate the 2 hoses going to the side of head reroute them to the back of the head with another copper made fitting T ill figure a way our if I dont find it here in Mexicos parts stores
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

rogertj wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Yes thats exactly like I have it set up right now I think ill run it the same way
Because I have the 1.8head I will just eliminate the 2 hoses going to the side of head reroute them to the back of the head with another copper made fitting T ill figure a way our if I dont find it here in Mexicos parts stores

Are you adapting hoses from the 1.8 (Tiico ?) to the 2.0 head?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Are you adapting hoses from the 1.8 (Tiico ?) to the 2.0 head?

Neil.

Not entirely, only the one that goes directly to the rad from the water pump. Now that I have a oil cooler on the oil filter that has to be taken care of. As far as the connection to the head flange I need to find a pipe that will fit I don't now right now because the donor engine is on the back of the van Shocked and need to measure that one out.

I'll post some photos here of both the water flanges to see if they match and if so I'll go for that.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA/inline coolant hose routing using VW hoses Reply with quote

It's funny how one year has passed and I'm still at it with my conversion!

Wanted to revive my question in this thread as I made some mistakes on the purchase of the cabrio hose (as the original poster suggested and VanagonNut confirmed).

Here the image of what I got to find in the Mexican market back then

I did buy the T for this size of hose to rout it to the colant expansion tank but I think It will not work I need to figure it out and understand completely the drawing. Heck even make my own drawing according to the ABA manual so that I can understand it completely. It's a spaghetti kind of ordeal ha!

So as you can see my hose doesn't have the clamps to disassemble it and I will have to cut the melted plastic that attaches the assembly together.

On another note I think that the problem I will encounter with the plumbing is with the degrees that my engine plate adaptor is oriented, mine is not at 50 degrees completely it was designed for a carburated 1.8 head so it must be less than 50 degrees and I think that I will not be able to meet the clearance for the head water outlet I will post more photos when I'm in the installation process of the engine. This is what I have from yesterday

I'll be posting more photos so this topic is dummy-proof. It's spaghetti I'm telling you ha!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: