Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on possible Vanagon find?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aabaldock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I was hoping to receive some advice on next steps I can take given the below context:

An older man who lived down the street from me died a few years back (perhaps 3 years now?), and has had a Vanagon camper sitting by his garage unmoved ever since. The man has children (adults with own families now), but they live out of state and it is pretty apparent that they have not dealt with his estate since his death - the house is deteriorating and the cars have been untouched and unmoved on the lot for years.

Images here: https://imgur.com/a/hjHDPdW

Having wanted a VW camper my entire life, I thought that this might be a unique opportunity to see if it would be available for sale at a really good price, given the car's neglect (amongst the entire estate).

Given all the above, there are a few issues which prompted this post!
1) I don't know who to reach out to for inquiries on the vehicle (or if that is appropriate?) - I didn't know the family and I can only find basic information about the nuclear family by googling the street address (possible email addresses, etc.).
2) The car looks good on the exterior, but appears it could have some major rust on the underside (and who knows where else) - since the car is parked next to the road, I went over to it and took a bunch of pictures I am attaching to the post. Does it seem worth inquiring about in the first place?
3) Given the previous owner is dead and the neglect of the property, and if I were even able to make contact with the family, I'm not certain how I'd get information on car title, what is working / not working, etc. to determine if it's even a worthwhile investment. One thing to note is that there IS a VW repair shop in my town, so I might be able to hire them to inspect it (pending contact / permission from family), however I wouldn't want to pay them to do that if it didn't seem worth it in the first place!

Apologies for the word vomit above - I'd appreciate any help or recommendations possible! At the end of the day, I want to figure out whether or not it's worth pursuing over normal classifieds - I'm in my mid 20s and am not looking to purchase a pristine/upgraded Vanagon for >$30k, but rather a cheaper van that might not be in perfect shape that I put some work into myself for driving.

Thanks!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

When you do find the family, they will likely be just at the end of the 3 years of waiting for the estate to settle if there was no will. That would be a reason it has all sat untouched for that amount of time.

The value of that Westy would all be in what is left of value. Looks like ~$4,500 of body work, and ~$10,000 for a good paint job to 'do it right'. Unless you do that stuff yourself. Personally, I don't need a piece of eye candy, so mine is just a work horse. I treat her accordingly, and keep things mechanical done right. Blemishes are abundant, I don't care.

From the looks of it from pictures, I would be thinking an offer of $1500 would be about right, and that is only IF there aren't a bunch of mice or mice houses in it as it sits. IF it's been infested, spare yourself the frustration and nausiation. One guy I knew up in MN got something like that with mice issues, and it took him 3 years to tear it all apart and get everything freshened up and it still smelled like mice. Gross.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

In Florida, the estate goes to probate court and a lawyer is required. Will or no will. Your going to have to do some detective work. Until the estate is settled in probate court, everything is frozen. An executor, if appointed would be responsible for maintaining the estate till it’s settled.

At best you might get first right of refusal if you approach the family.

Another option would be to offer to clean the property to get on the families good side.

Death unfortunately can bring out the worst in families. 1 year after death is a good average of how long it takes to get through probate. If there was a lot of outstanding debt or fighting in the family it could drag on.

At a minimum leave a note on the van. Good luck.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
In Florida, the estate goes to probate court and a lawyer is required. Will or no will. Your going to have to do some detective work. Until the estate is settled in probate court, everything is frozen. An executor, if appointed would be responsible for maintaining the estate till it’s settled.

At best you might get first right of refusal if you approach the family.

Another option would be to offer to clean the property to get on the families good side.

Death unfortunately can bring out the worst in families. 1 year after death is a good average of how long it takes to get through probate. If there was a lot of outstanding debt or fighting in the family it could drag on.

At a minimum leave a note on the van. Good luck.
Oh YES, I watched, from a Safe Distance mind you, a friend whose Mother died, and what was stated by her Probate Lawyer as 'an easy case' dragged on for years and years due to unbelievable legal wrangling by the surviving Step-Father...... NOT AN OPEN AND SHUT CASE after all. She gave up trying to get some VERY personal items in the house that were her Mothers.
Artwork and other items kept by him as well. One of the Sons finally managed to get an aging Lexus back, it wasn't worth the legal fees AT ALL due to wreck repair that at the time of the accident, I begged her not to fix, and instead junk it[ Bad T-Bone Hit.... Crying or Very sad ]
So yeah, what Mark said...... Sad Sad Sad Sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

If you have no mechanical abilities or willingness to learn then a rusty car will be quite expensive to get back on the road. If you have the skills it will take considerably more time to get any project done and will likely need more parts replaced any time you start a minor project.

If you are interested in it a want to buy note in a ziplock bag might get their attention.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
IF it's been infested, spare yourself the frustration and nausiation.

depends on the damage from said mice i guess. i've been more nonplussed by duct tape than i have the mice.

that it's not a clean sell and the rust, specifically at the rear passenger side, a very critical area... hard pass... that poor bus.

find one with as little rust as possible. some gems in the rough are out there, but not this one.

BiWerks Design, LLC
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Advice: If you've wanted a VW camper your entire life go buy one that is for sale and in reasonable shape. Chances are you will be enjoying it sooner and spend less money in the long run than trying to acquire this and get it up to shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Put a note on the van with your number. See what happens. Just remember: the vehicle could have sentimental value to the family so approach accordingly. (be respectful obviously)

Call your DMV or insurance folks. They might know whether or not a vehicle can be sold before work to settle estate has started. e.g. before letters probate have been procured.

I think I see "Multi Van" on the rear hatch. i.e. if its a Weekender, it won't have a stove, fridge like the camper.

Judging from the exterior, I doubt the owner kept any great amount of receipts for parts and/or work done.

Personally, just the rust at the rear jack point area would be a show stopper for me. it looks like it's perforated. And, I'd bet that at minimum, it'll need brakes, tires, fuel system work, coolant change and possible related work. I'd also bet that the engine hasn't been turned or started in some time so there's that.....

At the right price in the right hands it could be a good deal. I don't know what the production numbers are but would guess there's less Weekenders around than tin tops or full Westfalias.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Great thoughts from everyone here. I agree on the rust at that passenger jack point, that's a show stopper for me. Body work, especially on a van of this size is just a lot to take on and there is a ton of $$$$$ that goes with it. I've never been interested in learning as I know it's all about patience and taking a ton of time. Wax on wax off.... Anyway, not for me from what I know about myself. Blown motor sitting in a nice body? Let me at it! Good times!

I'm going to guess though that you might think like me which is, I've always wanted a poptop VW but spending the crazy amount they go for now is just to hard to take on. I might be thinking, hey if I can get this one, I can check this all out and see if it's for me and I can get it for kind of cheap because it's neglected. Honestly, if that van was sitting down the street from me like that, I'd have to find out, even with the rust, so I get it.

The comments regarding probate taking a long time are correct. However, assuming an estate is opened and thus a PR appointed, in Oregon at least, they would have the authority to liquidate the assets or otherwise dispose of them. The PR is going to be mostly interested in diving up a bank account at the end of the process rather than a bunch of items of undetermined value. The point is, it's absolutely worth approaching, respectfully, to see where things are at. If some crazy family member came out of the woodwork and is now laying claim to a bunch of things, then it may be a very complicated mess of an estate and one that may require to much time to get this van out of. However, If I were you, I'd have to know. Leave a note, knock on the door to the house, etc. If you are technically savy, your local courthouse my also offer a computer terminal where you can search for the estate and find out if a PR is appointed and other info. Publication of notices is also required in newspapers, so that's a place to search for the deceased.

Let us know. I love these things.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Advice: If you've wanted a VW camper your entire life go buy one that is for sale and in reasonable shape. Chances are you will be enjoying it sooner and spend less money in the long run than trying to acquire this and get it up to shape.

Agreed. If you've wanted a VW van your whole life, don't react to this one just because you've watched it sit and it might be a good deal (hoping for a miracle price, which can't be that much of a discount since the van is not worth a lot to start with). Start shopping for VW vans, get a sense of what you want and take your time to find the right van at the right price. if it turns out this is the perfect match it'll likely be waiting for you.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

It’s definitely a 90-91 Multivan which is pretty desirable. You can tell by the large grill badge, rear seat head rests and full side cladding (full campers did not get the center section because of the propane tank access). However, that amount of rust and the probate issues would make me just walk away unless it was really cheap.

As a point of reference, I bought a very nice rust free 61,000 mint condition westy that had been stored indoors for a decade or more and it took several thousands of dollars before it was road worthy. This one with rust will be even more. The cheap Vanagons are often more expensive in the end.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

That westy is a can of worms,( ziplock a note Idea ) low low ball ,tow away, open the can Exclamation

If you have space to work, tools, enthusiasm $$$ ,use it as a learning curve, maybe it a gem, good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Sitting for 9 years

5-15k to get it on the still stinking like mouse pi$$
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Where in New York is the van located? I spotted an old Dodge van here on a rundown property and posted it on a forum and an interested guy with surveying experience used GIS maps to track down the owner.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the link for your state (don't know if your parcel is noted):
http://gis.ny.gov/parcels/

I don't know the tricks of GIS but could put you in touch with the Dodge guy if you PM me. I did use it to duplicate the steps of finding the van I told him about but might not be able to do the same with yours.

My advice: leave notes with your contact info on the van and the exterior doors of the house and through the mail slot, if any; notes in Sharpie on white paper in Ziploc bags (sealed against the elements). Monitor religiously for disturbance/removal/reply.

As mentioned by others, expect that van to be a LOT of work. It won't be cheap and it won't be easy, but if you want to camp in it you do not need a showpiece; just a running van.

Good luck!
This could be you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aabaldock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Firstly, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has replied - this is all really helpful information, and I didn't even think about the possibility of the estate settlement being a reason for things being untouched for so long.

Many of you nailed it on the head - I'm definitely eager here because it happens to be down the road perhaps available as a good deal, but I agree that I'm likely better off just doing more looking.

I think I'll likely just leave a note on the car / door (even though it seems the property hasn't been touched in a while) and give it a rest - keep my eyes open for better documented / in shape car opportunities on the east coast.

Thanks all for your input Smile
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

You might consider also mailing a note to that address, expressing your interest in purchasing the vehicle. Someone must be picking up the mail or having it forwarded. That could well be the person you need to make contact with. Even send notes at regular intervals as reminders.

Mark

aabaldock wrote:
I think I'll likely just leave a note on the car / door (even though it seems the property hasn't been touched in a while) and give it a rest - keep my eyes open for better documented / in shape car opportunities on the east coast.

Thanks all for your input Smile
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

If the engine started, wheels weren't stuck and you could test the drivetrain, for the right price, at worst it would be good for parts; used manual trannies are getting harder to find IMO. The rust thing is kind a personal bias but if the jack point and trailing arm mount aren't rusted out, it might be road safe. IF so, prep and coat areas with rust treatment then drive it until you can fix the rust.

Caveat: not a lawyer, just a little familiar with this.

To sell a vehicle before getting letters probate, the executor/trix or maybe an appointed admin, might need to get a special applicable letter drawn up. This is likely best done by a lawyer. ($) Possible "gotchas" prohibiting sale:

- deceased passed away intestate, (walk away)
- sale price set way lower than book value
- applicable local laws

Effects of human emotions involved aside, a person(s) dying intestate can really drag things out. Like for years.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Just a little something to keep in mind. Everyone I know with a Vanagon has died or will die. I'm not sure if that's a matter of correlation or causation, but it's kinda eerie. I no longer recommend buying/acquiring Vanagons. Too risky.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Just a little something to keep in mind. Everyone I know with a Vanagon has died or will die.

Death taxes and rust.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on possible Vanagon find? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Just a little something to keep in mind. Everyone I know with a Vanagon has died or will die.

Death taxes and rust.
And GoWesty’s bias towards ‘86 and later Vanagons.....boom.... Wink Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: