Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nokian WRG2 pre-failure
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Nokian WRG2 pre-failure Reply with quote

Pre-failure? Pre-demise? I'm sure the enginerds have a word for it.

Crawling under the van today revealed this soon-to-fail tire:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nokian WRG2, 215/60R16 DOT date stamp of 1409, i.e. it's seven years old to the week. Nokian's website provides this interesting 6/10 year rule:

"The recommendation is to use the same tyres for a maximum of six years. Even if you do not use your car frequently in the summer, and your tyres appear to be in good shape, you should nevertheless replace them at the latest when ten years have passed since their date of manufacture."

The tires were installed by the PO on 9/10/2009 and have about 19K miles on them. The snow wear bar is a bit less than 1/16" from contact:

Here's the DOT stamp:

All-in-all, I'm glad I was goofing around underneath my van today.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
denver_westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRG2 pre-failure Reply with quote

Wow looks bad are those supposed to be reinforced sidewalls? are they made in russia? I have 15 inch nokians on my westy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRG2 pre-failure Reply with quote

I have the same tires in 215/65/15 and like them VERY much. Just went and checked my date code... 1813. Guess I'm ok for now. Thank you for posting the reminder that we should all check from time to time.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRG2 pre-failure Reply with quote

denver_westy wrote:
Wow looks bad are those supposed to be reinforced sidewalls? are they made in russia? I have 15 inch nokians on my westy.

I'm not sure about reinforced sidewalls, but they have an adequate load rating. This tire was stamped as having been made in Russia.

I sure do like these tires too. Reasonably quiet and smooth with above average traction in snow. I'm ordering a replacement set of 215/60R16 WRG3s. I hope to wear them out long before they die of old age.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRG2 pre-failure Reply with quote

pre-failure??? I'd say post failure. that is pretty bad. maybe prior owner damaged it some how.

Glad you found it in time before it caused an accident, that could be bad at 70MPH.

Russian made yeah, all part of the post war commie conspiracy.
Do you know there is talk of putting it in milk, children's ice cream?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRG2 pre-failure Reply with quote

Look at both ends of the cut. If there are witness/rub marks, it is possible that the damage is from road debris.

For example a damaged storm drain, scrap metal in the road etc.

I had a vehicle with 2 shorter, but similar sidewall cuts. At first I thought it was tire failure until I noticed the rear tire on the same side had identical damage.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: