Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

kpbo wrote:
I'm in the planning stages of a cooling/filtering system for my freshly rebuilt $yncro transaxle. Thanks to Sodo et al. for documenting all their efforts!

To stay on the topic of electronic control of the pump/fan... in my current plan I have a single 1/8 NPT port that I'd like to use for a temp gauge sender. This is a typical variable-resistance type sender made by VDO:

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/sensors/temperature-sen...1-9-1.html

I'd prefer to not have to drill another hole in the transaxle for a temp switch, so I'm wondering if I can make the sender serve double duty for temp gauge/switch.

My original thought was to find some type of gauge w/ a settable warning light function that I could co-opt to trigger the fan/pump relay. But I came up empty.

After a little digging I found this cheap little current sensing relay: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-Digital-0-10A-...4.2.3lxc0g

The idea being that as the sender heats up (and resistance falls) the increase in current would, in principle, trigger the fan/pump relay. The neat thing about this relay is that (a) it's adjustable and (b) it can be programmed with a time delay/hysteresis function to minimize excessive switching...

My concerns/questions:
(1) would adding this switch in-line with the gauge sender mess up my gauge accuracy? i'm totally ignorant as to how these sensing relays work...
(2) would the range of currents in the sender wire be enough to trigger? from the info i found, it seems the resistance range in these sensors is nearly an order of magnitude in the expected temp range (e.g., assuming 14V: 1486 ohms @ 10 degC = ~7 mA -> 185 ohms @ 65 degC = 77 mA). Advertised accuracy is 10 mA... hmmm, maybe not sensitive enough?
(3) is this a whacky idea? other ideas welcomed (given the constraint of not wanting any more holes in my transaxle).

Thanks!

Lol years later but thought Iíd throw this in the loop...
Stack st3510

http://www.stackltd.com/instruments_pro_control.html#

itís a 52mm gauge that can fit in any gauge pod that has hi and low warnings with a 5v output on each that could trigger a relay for a fan, pump etc... tis a bit on the pricey side yes but very clean looking and hey whats another $250?? Iím planning to use one on my cooler install to trigger the pump on from the temp sensor I have in the transaxle. I believe I can set it to what ever temp I want... seems simple and straight forward, to me at least Smile

Cheers

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

Here is the promised update on the filter check on my tranny.

I installed a fresh tranny from AA at the same time I converted to a '07 2.5 Suby. I have been running Amsoil 80-140 gear oil. I did an oil change after 15k miles and saw very little metal on the magnetic drain plug.

After another 10k I installed my cooling/filtering system and fresh Amsoil. See previous posts for details.

SODO convinced me to check my filters. So last week I pulled the Canton and Magnom filters. At this point I have 8k miles on it since the filter installation. I drained both filters and washed the Canton filter. There was a small amount of iron based super fine metal particles that had passed through the 8 micron Canton filter and were caught in the mini Magnom. See the picture below. The key is for size reference as it is a small filter.

There was almost no sediment in the oil I drained from the Canton and no appreciable particles that washed out of it when I agitated the paper filter in gas.

All in all I am very pleased with what I saw. I believe the combination of a fine particle filter, the Magnom, and the cooler will definitely prolong the life of my tranny.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jalan on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

I think you forgot the pic Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

I think you forgot the pic Wink
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

As I wrap up my trans cooler installation I have a question about oil capacity. How much extra does one add to accommodate for the cooling setup. I put in 6qrts in total ( the recommended 5 qrts + 1) of swepco 202 but am wondering is that enough. Has anyone any tips? Below are some pics of my install.. was tricky and I took my time but am happy with the results..... let the slaying begin lol

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

I would think all you need to do is fill your transaxle as normal, run the pump a time or two and top up the trans. Not sure what type of pump you have but likely want to have oil at the pump suction before running it.

County Mayo! My wifeís family is from Castlebar. Beautiful part of the world.
Good luck to you.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

Very clean set up! I just ordered the same Moroso clamps on eBay e few days ago Razz

Same as above for finding out how much it needs....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: