Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

the cooled oil just flows into the fill...no directing the oil spray. There were oil plates installed during the rebuild.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

I figured there was something more to it.

Are you using any sort of restrictor on the return to spray the oil into the case, or is it just flowing in? My oiling plate ends up in front of the fill hole I believe.

You might post something in this thread to keep it relative. Hard as it may be to believe, not everyone has sold their souls to Facebook. Yet!!!
Vmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

I worked with Jim to make it happen. I use an AT ECU, which has pins that support a transmission fluid temperature reading. I use the UltraGauge MX to program a custom gauge that can interpret this parameter. There was some sensor characterization and UltraGauge calibration that I needed to do. Its really quite slick. il be posting a detailed doc about it on the Bostig FB page soon.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

Curious how the temp sensor is connected to the Ford ECU. Was that a stock input?
Vmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

also...I drilled large holes in the trans skid plate for better air circulation without sacrificing protection. Setrab provides dimensions/volumes for their hoses/cooler. Based on my calculations I have about 1qt added volume. So I fill the trans up to the fill hole then add another quart.
Vmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

to follow up on my oil cooler:
Syncro transaxle rebuilt ~15k ago. Oil cooler/filtration system installed ~7500 ago. I use the weddle pump pulling oil from the drain. Then through Magnom, weddle filter, weddle/setrab cooler, and back into the trans through the fill hole. The cooler is located in the space where the stock Syncro airbox goes. I have a Bostig conversion with the transmission skid plate. I repurposed my rear heater switch and manually activate recirculate (only run pump) or cool (run pump and radiator). I measure temperature through the Ford ECU and it is displayed on my UltraGauge. After ~7500 miles of monitoring, I find oil temps are 50-60 F above ambient in fourth gear at ~65 mph. In 100F heat, the system does well in keeping oil temps below 170F. no leaks. I am very happy with the system.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I'm basing this on my experience with an air cooled 1600. Unlike the WBX the pressure switch case threads on the 1600 are tapered not straight. It wasn't till the water cooled VW's and Audi's that the switch got a straight thread and a sealing washer at least in this country.

So, the switch above is a tapered metric thread, not a straight thread and if you were using the above switch it would seal fine in a brass T with 1/8" pipe femaler or you could get a similar switch with 1/8" pipe female threads.

To be clear I was not talking about jamming and 1/8th" male pipe thread into a VW wbx case. Make sense?

Clear like crystal now Razz
On a funny note they sell tapered pressure switches for Vanagon at Napa and the like, I always wondered why, now with aircooled being tapered it makes sense they thought it was compatible. I didn`t know the aircooled`s were tapered Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

I surrender.
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

Looks like the OE WBX low press switch would be perfect
028919081D
0.1-0.35 Bar NC

So, low pressure, light and/or electrical shock direct to the temples - on!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

I'm basing this on my experience with an air cooled 1600. Unlike the WBX the pressure switch case threads on the 1600 are tapered not straight. It wasn't till the water cooled VW's and Audi's that the switch got a straight thread and a sealing washer at least in this country.

So, the switch above is a tapered metric thread, not a straight thread and if you were using the above switch it would seal fine in a brass T with 1/8" pipe femaler or you could get a similar switch with 1/8" pipe female threads.

To be clear I was not talking about jamming and 1/8th" male pipe thread into a VW wbx case. Make sense?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
1/8” npt and 10 mm x 1.0 are very similar. The difference is the metric switch requires a crush washer to seal. The 1/8” npt will seal on the threads.

Yes NPT is conical, but I would never put it on in a female M10x1, if you stick with it forever ok, but if you go back to M10x1 the threads would technically be damaged, even so lightly they may be. Metric switches are not hard to source, mind as well do it correctly like it’s supposed to Razz
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Something like this. https://www.jbugs.com/product/021919081B.html

Thanks for that!
Should be easy to integrate one of these into my system. I have a brass Tee after the pump that I could tap a port into, I think.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

I guess I wasn’t clear. The switch above will work fine in an 1/8” pipe thread hole. A “t” fitting with the proper in and out diameter to fit in line with an 1/8” inch female and your good to go. It might require an external ground wire.

If your looking for a non vw switch, Ford and Chevy used something similar from that era. You can buy them with different pressure range from JEGS or Summit. I have a 30psi one in the race car connected to a bright giant light.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

OK apologies to the French and all......

Re: integrating a pressure switch to the "Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler" .

Choosing a Vanagon switch may require a gangly contraption of adapters, piled up like thread bloat.

Probably best to look for a low-pressure switch of "known thread adaptation". Perhaps from an American engine?

EJ25, Peloquin diff, locker, transaxle oil cooler/filtration system
....KTMs, GasGas, and a Stumpjumper
One apple every 8 hours will keep 3 doctors away - B Kliban
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

1/8” npt and 10 mm x 1.0 are very similar. The difference is the metric switch requires a crush washer to seal. The 1/8” npt will seal on the threads.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Sodo wrote:
nmerrill wrote:
Pressure switch is a simple solution, but I wasn't aware of any low psi examples-

You mentioned a 3 psi pressure switch - have an example?

I thought one of the WBX engine oil pressure switches was 3 psi?
I am not a WBXer, so better wait for a reply from a Mark.... Wink
The thread would be metric 1/8-28 BSP

I suspect anything under 10 psi would suffice.

Big buzzer sound Laughing Laughing

1/8 of an inch and 28 tooth per inch ain`t metric mon ami, and BSP is British Standard Pipe (thread).

Please apologize to the French Metric system immediately Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back on topic, careful with the VW pressure switch choices, some are NC and some are NO Wink Their thread is M10x1 ( parallele threads of course) which is veeeery close to some Imperial threads.

😀😀😀
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
nmerrill wrote:
Pressure switch is a simple solution, but I wasn't aware of any low psi examples-

Big buzzer sound Laughing Laughing

1/8 of an inch and 28 tooth per inch ain`t metric mon ami, and BSP is British Standard Pipe (thread).

Please apologize to the French Metric system immediately Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back on topic, careful with the VW pressure switch choices, some are NC and some are NO Wink Their thread is M10x1 ( parallele threads of course) which is veeeery close to some Imperial threads.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

Something like this. https://www.jbugs.com/product/021919081B.html
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:

EJ25, Peloquin diff, locker, transaxle oil cooler/filtration system
....KTMs, GasGas, and a Stumpjumper
One apple every 8 hours will keep 3 doctors away - B Kliban
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: