Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

Making plans for a trip across Canada from Vancouver, BC to wherever is the eastern-most point or thereabouts next summer and fall. I'm curious if anyone here has good information on where to go, what to see, what to avoid, camping tips, etc. We hope to catch the fall foliage in September/October so any inside info on where & when would be useful, too. I'll do a trip report so the next guy can share in the information. Thanks.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

We spent about two weeks in Nova Scotia in July, 1999, then the next year right at 30 days in Newfoundland and Labrador — the entire month of October. Drove nearly 7,000 km in Newfoundland, basically seeing the entire coastline except for the “outport” towns along the west end of the south coast that are only available if you ride on mail boats.

We also crossed from the NW tip (Cape Bonaventure, I think) westwards to Labrador on a car ferry, saw maybe a hundred spouts from whales, and took the Labrador Highway as far as it went then… about fifty miles. I believe now it goes like 600.

It’s an unbelievable place. I’d skip Nova Scotia to do it again and go up Labrador. The people are unbelievable, we met hundreds, everyone invited us over but we were on a photo mission and never did, only met two unfriendly people the whole time (and coincidently, they were the only two Americans we met also).

We’re very hardy, but October was getting cold. But we didn’t at all care. Next time we’re going in May to see the icebergs and far better weather.

I have a lot of photos, and way more info than I wanna type on my phone — both best done on phone and email if of interest.

We were very sad to leave, very, and probably won’t next time.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

Don’t worry about catching “ the peak” , there is no such animal. My six year old pointed this out when she noticed that two identical silver maples in our yard turned three weeks apart.

Canada is a real civilized place and I’ve always enjoyed it, missed it horribly during Covid. I believe the ferry between Portland ME and Halifax is running again so that might work into plans. We used it in a week long “ all the 6 kids are gone “ trip in our T4 Westy on a camp one night, Hilton points next night trip in 2018. The ferry got us back to NY from Funday in a half day of driving.

Quote:
only met two unfriendly people the whole time (and coincidently, they were the only two Americans we met also).

Wait , we met you on that trip, what?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Canada is a real civilized place...

Yes...yes it is

Link

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Don’t worry about catching “ the peak” , there is no such animal. My six year old pointed this out when she noticed that two identical silver maples in our yard turned three weeks apart.

Canada is a real civilized place and I’ve always enjoyed it, missed it horribly during Covid. I believe the ferry between Portland ME and Halifax is running again so that might work into plans. We used it in a week long “ all the 6 kids are gone “ trip in our T4 Westy on a camp one night, Hilton points next night trip in 2018. The ferry got us back to NY from Funday in a half day of driving.

Quote:
only met two unfriendly people the whole time (and coincidently, they were the only two Americans we met also).

The ferry is now based out of Bar Harbor to Yarmouth.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

The Provincial Parks of New Brunswick & Nova Scotia are really nice.

Fundy National Park is also beautiful.

Kiwanis CG in St. Andrew NB is nice and seaside. Northern NB like Bouctouche Bay CG is nice and across from the ocean.

Commercial CG's in NS that we have stayed at and would stay again. Shubie Park in Dartmouth/Halifax region.
Whale of a Time CG in Freeport NS, on an island headed to the Western most point in NS. Two ferry rides to get to Digby Island.
Bell Bay CG on the way to Yarmouth was another with ocean side sites.

Lots to see in both Provinces! We have been lucky that our great friends that we camp and travel with are from both NB & NS. They make all of the traveling exciting and fun!!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

One of our most memorable westy adventures was exploring the thousand islands region. We took 3 ferries, camped by the beach, met great people. Water everywhere, if we went back we’d bring the inflatable kayaks.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

RoryGirl wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Canada is a real civilized place...

Yes...yes it is

Link

I for one love your video links. Laughing Laughing Laughing

— Colin Chapman
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

I subscribe to some local newspapers to get an idea of what goes on in the world. The Quoddy Tides is "the most easterly published newspaper in the US" and covers neighboring communities in Canada. It's proper journalism and the website or a subscription may give you some local insights for your visit.

https://quoddytides.com/

From the current issue:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I've ordered the Backroads Mapbooks for the Maritimes to start planning and getting an idea of the geography. For some reason they don't have any books covering Quebec. I guess that whole Québécois thing is real! Keep the tips coming & remember to enjoy a smoke to improve your health and social life.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

LMK if you are traveling through NY (Upstate I-90 and north) and VT and NH
and I can offer out some travel ideas & stops..
do keep in mind that some places shut down after labor day, so you'll be a little limited on your options, but many places are still open till Columbus weekend and some after..
again if you're passing thru NY/VT/NH drop me a PM and I'll toss in some ideas.

in NY as mentioned the Fingerlakes region is splendid inthe fall. as is the Thousand islands (St Lawrence Seaway) the ADKs and most VT&NH..

none of our roads here are like out west.. what the locals call a Mtn is just a long hill. it'll be great westy travel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

Not much to see between Alberta and Ontario along the Trans-Canada Hwy so we usually travel through the Northern US when heading back East from Vancouver. The Ilse-de-la-Magdeleine (Magdalen Islands), a few hours ferry ride North of PEI is a pretty nice place to visit but not all that different from Newfoundland and Labrador but as it's part of Quebec, French is the local language.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

I rode my bike from Halifax up and around Cape Breton and back many years ago. If things are about the same, which I imagine they actually are in a place that requires one to be a little bit hard to live there, you can't go wrong basically. Abundant camping, peaceful roads, interesting culture. I have a guidebook for bike touring that is essentially some guy's journal that he kinko's published- strongly recommended, although very dated at this point. My wife and I might go do this same tour again next year!

https://www.amazon.com/Cyclists-Canadas-Playground-Scotia-Bicycle/dp/096974580X
Barking Squirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

Hey There.
FWIW
We drove from Victoria, BC to Calgary, AB in July 2023.
Took the Fraser Canyon route 1 to Cache Creek, then to Kamloops then route 5 to Jasper, then the icefields parkway to Lake Louise.
Highly recommend this trip. Low traffic, less hills, endless camping spots along rivers (except in the National Parks). You get some rain forest, some desert, some mountains, and some glaciers. Iconic trip. Iconic scenery. Great people.
Google maps is your friend.
Barking Squirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

and, to concur with other posts, the trip from Calgary to Ontario is beautifully flat. Cruise control is your friend...and another driver. Prairie headwinds and crosswinds are hell. I am also convinced the flatest place is in Canada is between Winnipeg and Kenora.

The TransCanada highway across north Ontario looks shorter than it feels. Around lake superior is trees and lakes. Endless camping...and takes forever to drive.

In the past, I have opted to travel from Calgary to Estevan, SK and then head into the northern USA to Grand Forks, Deluth and onto Sault Sainte Marie. Lots of places to camp.

People are very friendly and traffic light compared to the southern routes.
Enjoy the trip.

FYI- I will be going from Halifax to Victoria in September (or sooner). Doing the route as describe above ...
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
...in NY as mentioned the Fingerlakes region is splendid in the fall. as is the Thousand islands (St Lawrence Seaway) the ADKs...

Those were three separate Westy trips for us, all of them enjoyable.

Finger Lakes here, Sampson SP.

Adirondacks, on the shore of Lake Champlain looking across at the west coast of New England.

Could not find a St. Lawrence pic but had a good one of a huge lake boat passing the campground.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Eastern Canada & Maritimes Reply with quote

If you're going that far my only suggestion is to go a little farther and make it to Newfoundland.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: