Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

Here we go again! lol…

I’m here once again asking for some advice and or opinions on what my issue could be…

Sometimes my 84 1.9 vanagon will start up and idle for a bi when cold,, but then it will shut off randomly, or if I try to drive it’ll also shut off before I can even back out of my driveway. Usually the van fires right back up, but sometimes it won’t even start unless I wait a few minutes. I want to say I smell gas near the engine, so I’m assuming it’s getting too much fuel? But I’m not 100%.

Another thing to add is that I can start the van and immediately put my foot on the gas and keep the van at higher rpm’s for a bit until the van warms up, then the van seems to run just fine. Sometimes though, when I’m rev’n the engine, attempting to warm the van up, if I accidentally let my foot off the gas peddle the van will shut off (this is of course before it’s warmed up). The van seems to run great once it’s warmed up and the needle on the temp gage is halfway or almost 3/4 and then once it reaches a certain temp the radiator fan kicks on and all is well.

Also I’d like to throw in there that sometimes the van doesn’t want to seem to warm up? Like the temp gage stays lower than normal (sitting under halfway) and the van will still do what it’s doing before. Seems like I have to rev the engine like I stated above to get the van to warm up correctly? Like it won’t warm up unless I rev the motor.

Another thing I noticed is that recently I heard a sound Ive never heard before. . Sounded like a bunch of liquid moving or bubbles in the front of the van? Like a glub glub glub type noise. Caught me off guard and I don’t know why I heard that sound? Maybe from the radiator?

A final thing that’s bad is that I’ll insert my key into the ignition and it will slide right in no problem. It doesn’t feel stuck or anything, but the ignition won’t turn. It’s like stuck? If I wiggle the key a bit or keep trying to turn the key it then finally turns and I’m able to start the van. The last week or so this hasn’t happened. I’m assuming this issue may be separate from the issue above, but I’d thought I’d mention i just in case.

After looking through this site I was kinda leaning on it being a bad thermostat? The van would run rich if it didn’t open? It’s about time I flush the coolant system anyways, so I was going to change out the thermostat as well? What do you guys think? Could a faulty thermostat cause the issue I listed above? Or any sensors or anything else you’d recommend?

I did have an issue with the van last year not running correctly and randomly shutting off (but even when fully warmed up). It was a bad digital idle stabilizer. My local vanagon mechanic found the issue. Prior to taking it to him I had changed the spark plugs, distributor cap, cleaned all the grounds.

As always I really appreciate ya’ll reading this and I’m thankful for any responses. I’m sure I’ll learn a thing or 5.

Thanks!!
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions Reply with quote

i'll take the easy one. the key in the ignition - there is a steering wheel lock. if it is engaged (turn the wheel after the key is out) then you may need to turn the wheel slightly to be able to turn the key. don't force the key as you don't want to snap it.

i too have an 84 and it just broke down on me. why? i do not know.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions Reply with quote

re needing to keep it floored to warm it up. you may have an air leak somewhere and it is getting too much air. the air intake boot (S boot) and see if any air hoses are loose or have come off. check both the large hoses and the smaller vacuum hoses.

but this is one of 99 possible explanations though, but a good place to start.

re the thermostat - you should test the temperature (IR thermometer) at the engine. it is very common for the gauge to be off, so i would not trust that. a stuck thermostat will not cause your symptoms though - you'll get worse fuel efficiency, but it won't impact starting. if it is stuck the other way, it'll boil/overheat, but fortunately that is not the case here.

it may be your temp2 (blue) sensor in the engine has failed. have a google for testing it. if you have a multimeter, you can verify it is working by testing the resistance. if it reads off spec, it may be telling the van that the engine is warmed up when it isn't.
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
re needing to keep it floored to warm it up. you may have an air leak somewhere and it is getting too much air. the air intake boot (S boot) and see if any air hoses are loose or have come off. check both the large hoses and the smaller vacuum hoses.

but this is one of 99 possible explanations though, but a good place to start.

re the thermostat - you should test the temperature (IR thermometer) at the engine. it is very common for the gauge to be off, so i would not trust that. a stuck thermostat will not cause your symptoms though - you'll get worse fuel efficiency, but it won't impact starting. if it is stuck the other way, it'll boil/overheat, but fortunately that is not the case here.

it may be your temp2 (blue) sensor in the engine has failed. have a google for testing it. if you have a multimeter, you can verify it is working by testing the resistance. if it reads off spec, it may be telling the van that the engine is warmed up when it isn't.

I swear i hear a hissing noise with the engine running... and I wouldn't doubt a possible vacuum leak. That makes sense... but.... once the van is warmed up it doesn't shut off. Only shuts off when cold. Would that make a difference with a vacuum issue?

I'll get a temo gun and test the motor. That's a good idea for sure.

Thought I read somewhere a stuck thermostat would cause the motor to run rich? Rich enough to shut down though?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions Reply with quote

So far as the burbling sound, I suspect there’s air in the system.

In testing the coolant temp with an infrared gun, I do that through the license plate door at full-hot temps and at idle. Take temp on the compression (main) tank, being careful to make sure the red indicator light is stable and not being interfered with by other parts on the beam path, and making sure the test area on the tank absolutely has coolant behind the part of the plastic you’re taking temps from.

I see anywhere from 130F on a cool or cold day while traveling on the flats, to as high as 180F atop a pass in the summer. Somewhere in the 160s is what I see the most on average, again, on the plastic tank itself.

Agree with above post about the Temp II sensor being a prime suspect… but would also wonder about water in the gas, a clogged injector from that, or even the fuel pump or computer relays in the black box on driver’s side engine bay.

I’ve been fooled before by hissing sounds that weren’t there or at least not an issue, but don’t discount that if they’re more obvious than mine ended up being.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions Reply with quote

Get yourself a tiny tube of graphite lock lube. You can use it to squirt a spray of graphite into your lock. Then insert the key multiple times to move the graphite around. If you problem is in the lock cylinder itself, this should fix it.

The thermostat on a 1.9L engine is not very accessible and you may have trouble with the bolts breaking if you choose to pull it for testing or replacement. The TSII sensor isn't all the accessible either.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions Reply with quote

hopefully a redundant comment, but just in case: don't take the blue cap off when it is hot. it'll spray you with coolant as it is pressurised as it gets hot.
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
So far as the burbling sound, I suspect there’s air in the system.

In testing the coolant temp with an infrared gun, I do that through the license plate door at full-hot temps and at idle. Take temp on the compression (main) tank, being careful to make sure the red indicator light is stable and not being interfered with by other parts on the beam path, and making sure the test area on the tank absolutely has coolant behind the part of the plastic you’re taking temps from.

I see anywhere from 130F on a cool or cold day while traveling on the flats, to as high as 180F atop a pass in the summer. Somewhere in the 160s is what I see the most on average, again, on the plastic tank itself.

Agree with above post about the Temp II sensor being a prime suspect… but would also wonder about water in the gas, a clogged injector from that, or even the fuel pump or computer relays in the black box on driver’s side engine bay.

I’ve been fooled before by hissing sounds that weren’t there or at least not an issue, but don’t discount that if they’re more obvious than mine ended up being.

Great info.

Would this be the temp 2 sensor for a 1.9L?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s been raining here and I noticed some water inside my van so I got a leak somewhere lol, but with that being said I had the gas tank dropped and resealed a few months ago. Maybe I just got some bad gas? But the issue has been consistent and I just refilled the tank and it’s still happening. Only does when cold when “norm” it seems fine
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Get yourself a tiny tube of graphite lock lube. You can use it to squirt a spray of graphite into your lock. Then insert the key multiple times to move the graphite around. If you problem is in the lock cylinder itself, this should fix it.

The thermostat on a 1.9L engine is not very accessible and you may have trouble with the bolts breaking if you choose to pull it for testing or replacement. The TSII sensor isn't all the accessible either.

Will get the graphite lock lube. Ty

Bummer was hoping to do the thermostat myself and learn a thing or two.

atomatom wrote:
hopefully a redundant comment, but just in case: don't take the blue cap off when it is hot. it'll spray you with coolant as it is pressurised as it gets hot.

While I knew this a reminder never hurts. Thanks
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

Walty, regardless of the ad I would not buy that. We were sold a black one like that once, it showed as correct on one site but not on others I trusted.

They should be blue. Maybe black is for another use, meaning not for coolant. A bus parts place will sell you the right part, and have the correct, researchable, Bosch parts number on it, too.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

Here's where it's located. I have always received a blue one when I ordered.

Can be swapped with very little coolant loss.

X2 on the caution about the bolts on that tstat housing -- about the hardness of warm butter.

I have never broken one but I used PBlaster and an abundance of patience. I use a plastic bottle cap stuffed with paper towel, soaked with PBlaster and attached to the bolt head with a magnet to allow the penetrant to soak 'up'.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

Walty87 wrote:
I want to say I smell gas near the engine, so I’m assuming it’s getting too much fuel? But I’m not 100%.

i am. you have a fuel leak somewhere and you must find it!

regarding the hissing sound... one way to locate it is to get 3' of heater hose, 3/4" 1/2" whatever. put one end in your ear and snorkel the other end around the engine trying to find the hiss. an engine stethoscope just gives you mechanical noise when trying to find a hiss.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Walty, regardless of the ad I would not buy that. We were sold a black one like that once, it showed as correct on one site but not on others I trusted.

They should be blue. Maybe black is for another use, meaning not for coolant. A bus parts place will sell you the right part, and have the correct, researchable, Bosch parts number on it, too.

Just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right part. I'd probably find one off bus depot or gowesty. Thank you though.

Ahwahnee wrote:
Here's where it's located. I have always received a blue one when I ordered.

Can be swapped with very little coolant loss.

X2 on the caution about the bolts on that tstat housing -- about the hardness of warm butter.

I have never broken one but I used PBlaster and an abundance of patience. I use a plastic bottle cap stuffed with paper towel, soaked with PBlaster and attached to the bolt head with a magnet to allow the penetrant to soak 'up'.

Perfect thank you so much! Great advice!

DanHoug wrote:
Walty87 wrote:
I want to say I smell gas near the engine, so I’m assuming it’s getting too much fuel? But I’m not 100%.

i am. you have a fuel leak somewhere and you must find it!

regarding the hissing sound... one way to locate it is to get 3' of heater hose, 3/4" 1/2" whatever. put one end in your ear and snorkel the other end around the engine trying to find the hiss. an engine stethoscope just gives you mechanical noise when trying to find a hiss.

Okay, maybe I was too eager to state that I smell fuel. I mean its a very faint smell and seems to be coming from the exhaust area? I mean i suppose there could be a fuel leak, but I've looked all over and I cant find any sort of liquids leaking anywhere. My fuel lines are relatively new and were installed by buslabs a pretty reputable place in Berkley CA.

Great idea about the hose! I will for sure try that! Thanks
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

If you smell fuel from the exhaust when not starting, that’s okay.

If you smell fuel in the engine bay when it’s not run a while, heed Dan’s advice!

If you smell fuel after filling up but when away from gas pumps, that could be a tank seal or evap containers in wheelwells leak.

— Colin Chapman
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

post a few photos of your engine bay and we can play where is waldo. don't worry, only a few people have an engine as clean as ahwahnee (jeallous!). we can play where is waldo with the hoses.

btw, one common one to rot is the one just above the alternator in the photo above, going from breather tower to S-boot. the other common failure is the other hose (has a white reducer on the S-boot, reducer often not pushed in far enough)
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
post a few photos of your engine bay and we can play where is waldo. don't worry, only a few people have an engine as clean as ahwahnee (jeallous!). we can play where is waldo with the hoses.

btw, one common one to rot is the one just above the alternator in the photo above, going from breather tower to S-boot. the other common failure is the other hose (has a white reducer on the S-boot, reducer often not pushed in far enough)

https://youtu.be/bNdtvbBVxnE?si=tuqukf0lw4QV0Luw

I’ll get some fresh photos sooon
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

your shake might just be a busted engine mount. but most waterboxers will rock a little at low rpms.

in your other video, coolant is really low (tank with blue cap) so you probably have a leak somewhere. as to the noises, sounds a little odd, perhaps a alternator or waterpump bearings.

Link

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:

For the hose for the breather get either 30r7 PVC hose or silicone heater hose.
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

Well I haven’t had any real time to out towards the van, but just for the heck of it when I’ve been doing other stuff I’ve started the van to see if it’ll act up. Not a single issue. Fires right up. Idles fine. Hasn’t died. Key is turning with ease and hasn’t been stuck once. I drove it down the street and back with no issues.

Maybe it really was bad gas or water in the gas? I have no idea. Time will tell… Man do I love but hate this thing hahah
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for some opinions on 1.9L issue Reply with quote

every drive is an adventure
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: