Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Had to remove a '62 deck lid and found this separation at the top. I'm thinking JB weld will help. This is a a high stress point at the spring area. Do you think the JB will hold? I'm sure other older cars have the same thing. the area clamps down well with vice grips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok pushing the spring back on a second look I have over 1/2 " separation. Should I have it spot welded? Or is the JB Ok? The spot weld will result in painting on the lid???

Last edited by Harris on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

I don't think that will work if you don't want to weld it maybe put 2 pop rivets in use a little paint to touch the heads up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I don't think that will work if you don't want to weld it maybe put 2 pop rivets in use a little paint to touch the heads up

Rivets. Had not thought of that. thanks. That is a clean way to do it. But that will show on the lid--right

Last edited by Harris on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

make sure you get steel rivets put them in from the outside so the head is on the outside I think they will hold and you wont have to burn your paint
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Most pop rivets are aluminum ; You will need steel ones .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

OK I see what your suggesting. The rivet is on the lip of the lid and not the hood itself so you have really nothing showing. That just may work.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Thanks guys. As always your suggestions are good. I've been at this hobby for over 40 years and you young guys come up with really good solutions. If your older the solutions are still good. Always good to check the Samba to be safe.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

the JB weld will not hold is my thinking and it would make any future attempt at welding difficult as it would have to be removed first. go for the steel rivets that is a very good idea. make sure you select the correct length rivets. if you ever do get it welded, the rivets can be removed easily and the holes welded up and ground smooth.

mine tore also a bit worse than yours, I removed the spring for now. kind of a pain having to use a prop to hold up the lid.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

what did the toad say to the frog??? Rivet, Rivet. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

see if you can pick up some saber screws they are used in the air conditioning industry are short and self tap quick and cheep 10cents each. you can pull them out and rivet or weld later
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Find a muffler repair shop in your area and they should be able to weld it back together.

Even better is you buying a good quality gas wire feed welder and learning how to weld. Not that hard, and so handy down the road!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Me - I'd try the steel rivets; I don't weld either.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Even better is you buying a good quality gas wire feed welder and learning how to weld. Not that hard, and so handy down the road!

Have a brand/model number you'd recommend to a beginner-welder?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Find a muffler repair shop in your area and they should be able to weld it back together.

x2. Forget epoxy, get it welded for real.

I had a local welder fix my 62's original decklid many years ago, he did a very good job.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen with my lid. Take is by you local body shop, and have them zap a couple of spot welds on it. Works like a charm. Cool
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

JB weld would never hold. Weld is the best bet, but try some heavier pop rivets if you choose not to get it welded. I am not sure pop rivets would be a permanent solution with all the stress from the spring though.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Find a small local body shop and have it spot welded. If you're going to have to touch up the paint anyway do it to look as factory as possible. Even consider picking up a spot welder from harbor freight when they have their bi-weekly parking lot sales and do it yourself and now you have the welder for future jobs.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Find a small local body shop and have it spot welded. If you're going to have to touch up the paint anyway do it to look as factory as possible. Even consider picking up a spot welder from harbor freight when they have their bi-weekly parking lot sales and do it yourself and now you have the welder for future jobs.

some of the bargin mig welders are more trouble than what they are worth. consider a quality one used.
the Hobart Handler is a nice portable unit. gas for sure, the flux wire sucks.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

We have a Hobart Handler and it is a good one. Better ones would be Lincoln or Miller.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

I'm going in tomorrow afternoon to a well respected body shop here for them to look at the lid. They have helped me on great single stage painting in the past. I ask for spot welding. They do that. We will be looking at the lip on the top of the lid. I have less than 7/16" room on the side that will show with the lid closed. Will report back. Thanks guys for your help Hoping for 2 or 3 spot welds close to the spring plate

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: JB Weld as a Fix on deck Lid Reply with quote

Counting four just in the first picture that will need to be welded back up, and it would not hut to add in two more just for a little extra strength.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: