Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turning our MV into a full camper
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

I know I'm not the first to do this but I thought it would be fun to share , and if it looks like shit at the end y'all will know not to copy! so we have a 99 MV (The Tortuga) and we wanted a fridge so after lots of thought I installed a house battery ,bought a gowesty solar panel and an Engel fridge. I thought that would be it ,(how wrong could I be!), my wife has now decided she wants bamboo flooring and cabinets ( I'm a carpenter who just so happens to work in a cabinet shop), as our rig is not a daily driver it is easy for me to park it in the garage for a few weeks whilst I rip out the interior, I'm doing away with the metal frame and stock pad behind the seat and raising the platform up to the height of the seat when it is flat with draws underneath ,we lay a 3" memory foam pad down when we sleep so no need for the pad , then I'm planning on cabinets on both sides sitting on the platform going up to the ceiling, much like a westy but on both sides and connected at the top by a shelf / catch all. Anyway as I said I thought it would be fun to share and I'll post picks as I go
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I started tearing up the carpet befor I removed the seats just to see how easy it would be , it wasn't! I'm gong to replace the ply that's under the carpet .

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

So after pulling out the seats and ripping out the old carpet I got on with the install of the new floor, after scribing in the first row it went very quick. Still not sure if I'm going to use the original step or trick out a bamboo one ?

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Very cool project -- and a good idea.

Navigating around what do with the flooring by the sliding door step is something we don't see a lot of. I'm interested to see what you come up with (perhaps a custom milled solution?).

I can think of a post on the T4UK forum whereby the owner described increasing the height of entire rear floor to bring it level with the front cab. I presume this was likely a commercial van conversion (and had no side panels in the back to have work around). I think he framed the floor with sleepers, allowing him to run a wire way and lay down a lot of insulation board as well. That part all looked fine and dandy, but there were no details on the sliding door step.

Either way -- cool project. If things turn out the way you want - and you to flip/sell that rear bed support and cushion please let me know.
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Hey saw this one for sale:

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5524446971.html

Check it out for some inspiration![/img]

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Yeehaa, the floor is in and I got somewhat creative with the step, I had to raise the seat rails up 3/4 inch but that's ok . I used plybo for a stair nose and did away with the light on the step until I run some LEDs . Im going to put weather strip at the bottom of the step so I can still access the hardware for the sliding door. Now on to the next phase - interior cabs and platform ( I have lots of parts available if anyone is interested pm me) or watch the classified

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

I Was wondering at first..... but that entry step ended up looking really nice!

Keep posting!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Started the back end today , built a new platform , my wife wants drawers in there before we build on top of it to see how much space we really need. So until the drawers go in I think I'm done for a while ( I'll build drawers at work this week)

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Forgot to mention the table, I pulled the original and will make a custom wood with a chess board inlaid , a few years ago I made a bamboo and redwood chess board that needs a new home ,so going into a table would be a good place . I'm surprised at how smooth and quick the floor went in ,the step took some thinking about but it turns out all I needed was a base, a sub step as it were, that made things so much easier . Still a lot to do , but for now the Tortuga is back on the road a everyone is happy with a new interior. I'll post more once I get back to it.

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Nice work.
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

I finally got the step complete and built draws for the back, we gained so much room getting that stock platform out!, I have a table in the works which I should be able to finish up tomorrow and faces for the draws and the cubby door next to the draws , thats for our stove, I also built a cabinet for the interior that sits next to the fridge which I've yet to install as for other cabinets we are going to see what storage is needed.

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

This is the table I made to go in the van, the chess board I made a few years back , I inliad it into a piece of bamboo ply, known as plyboo ! , the chess board was half inch thick and the plyboo is 3/4 thick, I still have to mount the hardware which I should get to this weekend.

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

It's amazing what I can get done when my kids are asleep on a Saturday !! I had to mess with the support a bit but then it went in without any fuss. So stoked.

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Love that chess board idea. Beautiful work.
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

And the final touch, for now,draw fronts and pulls , I used some push catches so the draws would not open whilst driving . So for now I think I'm done ,we want to camp a few times to see if we need more storage but I'm thinking we don't , the draws I made are huge, all of our cooking stuff fits in one and the other holds clothes for the five of us ( admittedly our 3 boys live in the same clothes for a week!! ) so anyway I had fun doing this and sharing it I hope y'all had fun watching

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

And a nice little upgrade that only took 10 min was adding the front passenger side cubbie, thanks to itsamoto for a great trade . It will add some much needed storage to the front of the Tortuga. Once again thank you itsamoto. Next time you are passing be sure to stop in . Also there's a vanapalooza in June here in Bellingham

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

Needlenoddlenoo wrote:
And a nice little upgrade that only took 10 min was adding the front passenger side cubbie, thanks to itsamoto for a great trade . It will add some much needed storage to the front of the Tortuga. Once again thank you itsamoto. Next time you are passing be sure to stop in . Also there's a vanapalooza in June here in Bellingham.

Right on -- and thank you for the bed frame and center console. The Tortuga is awesome, the quality of the work is even better in person.

And you got something really good in the center console you made -- I put mine to work right away on the drive back and it was awesome, the perfect height too - like having a table next to the chair. I love it.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

I can see glimpses of the console in some of the photos, but it would be nice to see a better photo if you don't mind posting one.

Itsamoto wrote:
And you got something really good in the center console you made --

Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

So the console was kinda a fluke, I made the one I gave to itsamoto first and it was to tall so I got mad with myself and made it again this time with less care and attention , but it came out just dandy! What the pics don't show is the false bottom only accessible from inside (kinda secret compartment type thing!) anyways it works for us and has cup holders because the stock holders are too small for our water bottles/ coffee cups!

Simple construction glued and screwed with a couple of dividers inside

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning our MV into a full camper Reply with quote

So here's another fun project that my wife and I just finished, a rear hammock for our 3 year old son , much like the font hammock made for the vanagon. I made a frame out of 1 1/2" pvc pipe and my wife made a duck cloth canopy. It allows more sleeping space in the van , my wife and I put our feet under the hommock when we sleep, or all 3 boys lay in the van to watch a movie when the weather Is crap out, next is a cot for the front much like the vanagon one but for a EV

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: