Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Melbourne! Need a good mechanic in the south east
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Umbi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: New to Melbourne! Need a good mechanic in the south east Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm a student that just transferred to Melbourne to study. Currently in the Glen Waverly area. I drove down from Sydney, all 1000km, thrice, in my 1970' vw beetle. The thing is in perfect condition, body, interior and engine was replaced recently aswell a partially rebuilt drivetrain and gearbox.

I've been having some serious problems with it tho. It seems like a carburetor issue. Its been like this for about a month.

Car is practically undrivable (if anyone else was behind the wheel anyways).

The main issue is that it seems to flood, and stall, when too much gas is applied. This sounds basic but the threshold is at about 5-10% throttle.

I often have to put on my hazards, get to the back of the engine and if I spray some carby cleaner it goes again and revs okay by the lever in the back.

As soon as I'm back in the cockpit it seems to be to sensitive to orchestrate by foot level and I'm back at square one.

this is extremely recent, I repeat the car is/was in top notch condition, have had it for about 7 years by now.. (I'm 21). its my baby.

Other useful information is that it often doesn't start. This was NEVER an issue it started first click each time. Engine sounds a little different, and I could be imagining it but I think there is also a loss of power (if such a thing is possible lol). Maybe an exhast leak??

Everything is stock, I have an exhaust with j pipes, I'm going to check for leaks when I get home. I've changed the oil like a week ago. I'm going to do the plugs, and check if any of the leads don't connect properly when I have some spare time. I also want to find a compression gauge and check if the engine's gone bust. hopefully not.

When I called my mechanic in sydney he said it could be the automatic choke.. I had a look and the leaf valve seem to be operating normally (opens gradually as it gets warmer)...

If anyone has had this similar issue please PLEASE let me know anything I can try aside from the basics..

Otherwise, sort of a last but necessary need, a reliable mechanic in this area of town.

I have huge mistrust for mechanics as they have ruined this car before because they had no idea what they were doing. Also overcharge everything and I'm a student living out of home so I don't exactly have a lot of spare income...

any help would be truthfully appreciated. thank you,

Umbi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: