Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter / Ignition Woes
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

This morning, I left for work and my starter fired on while I was driving out of the parking lot. I immediately turned the car off and pull over. I did a quick check of the starter wiring and found no abnormalities.

When I restarted the car the starter would not quit turning even with the car already started. I had to run the car for a 1/2 block grinding away to get it back in it's parking spot. After that I just took my car truck to work.

Is random starter engagement a sign of the ignition going out? I have never had this happen. The starter is wired with a relay looped in to reduce the amount of wiring. Know as the "hot start relay." That has been in place and working fine for a month or two.

Looking for a little help here.

I got home at lunch today, fired the car up and everything seems to be fine. I will drive it to work and see what happens. Smile
My Old 70 Squareback

Last edited by one4house on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

Could be the switch or the hot start relay. Somehow power is getting to the starter terminal. I'd eyeball the wiring and then suspect the relay. Which relay are you using?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

Do you use the automatic starter?
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Do you use the automatic starter?

I did use am auto sick starter.
My Old 70 Squareback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

Maybe unrelated, but: How is turning the key? Stiff?

On my Square, particularly when it's cold out, I have to manually turn the key back to run, from the start position. Otherwise, I experience the symptom you describe. Not so bad during Summer months.

I'm pretty sure the ignition switch needs disassembly & lube, but it's low on the priority list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

It turns and returns ok. I might take it apart today and check it out though. I'm starting to think it is ignition related.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

How do I get the ignition cylinder out of the column?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Old 70 Squareback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
How do I get the ignition cylinder out of the column?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=21

and this may be useful later:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7001901

Scroll down a few posts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

I hope you have the little plastic cap that covers the wires in the last pic.
It holds the disc thing in contact with whatever is inside. When not tight, problems follow. BTDT.

If I recall, those caps are difficult (at best) to acquire.
In desperation, I installed at T1 column/ignition. Not "period correct", but works flawlessly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
It holds the disc thing in contact with whatever is inside. When not tight, problems follow. BTDT.

If I recall, those caps are difficult (at best) to acquire.
In desperation, I installed at T1 column/ignition. Not "period correct", but works flawlessly.

The black cap for the back of the ignition switch is meant as a cover only - it shouldn't be holding anything together.

The caps are not impossible to find...just takes a little patience. It's a commonly hoarded part.

What I've found usually happens is the screw for the aluminum block in the column comes loose, allowing the ignition switch to rotate. The missing screw additionally allows the switch to be pushed against the side of the column housing. Instead of fixing the issue, many people simply shove the key into the ignition to keep the cylinder from spinning so the car can be started. Repeated action leads to the power wire shorting out on the column, roasting the ignition switch along with several wires under the dash.

I'm rebuilding two columns now that experienced this exact problem. My 64 was garaged by its second owner for 25+ years due to this problem. The guy went so far as to completely rebuild an engine with less than 50k miles on it because he thought it was an engine problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

ataraxia, thanks for the breakdown. I cannot figure out how to get the blinker switch off. I'll look closer at it this afternoon.

Air-Cooled Head, I do have the cap. It was off at this point.

My short-term fix is going to be removing wire 50 from the steering column wire grouping and wiring it to a switch already in the car for the fog lights. I no longer have to worry about high amp draw from this wire because I have installed the starter relay by the battery.

Taking power away from the switch for initiating the starter is all I need right now. "Keyed power" is still working fine. It was starter signal that was not turning off.

Then I will take my time to source a new switch or a steering column to get it fixed right. I don't want to leave a hack in place forever, but I do want to get my car back on the road for this beautiful Texas spring weather.
My Old 70 Squareback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

If you are planning on removing the ignition, please take your time and look your column over before pulling it out. Every persons experience with this is different. I considered this surgery and it was a bit stressful but I’ll share with you what I did. The wires on the left side will hold you up from removing the intact ignition cylinder unless the wires are out as in ataraxias first link pics, second page at comment #9 pic. I had a really hard time trying to get the wires out. I ended up heating the soldered points with a soldering pen and removed the wired from the posts (after making a small sketch and documenting which color wires go to which numbered pos). That’s what I ended up doing in trying to get the cylinder out. I did this because each time I was trying to place the cylinder back in after putting the inner pieces in place, the brown cap kept moving on me while trying to place it in place. It wouldn’t sit correctly in its’ spot. This caused the inner springs, cover plate and paper to move around and no longer line up. When I had the brown cap out along with the cylinder, I was able to line everything up, place the cap in the proper place and stamp the little armature piece as depicted in the manuals image to lock the brown cap in place. I was then able to insert the whole thing back into the column and solder the wires back in place. It’s a bit scary process since I didn’t have much to go by but with some of the references on his site and help from others in the community, I was able to get this thing back together. For what it’s worth, I when I was testing my electrical system and I turned the key for the first time and turned my starter, I knew I had succeeded in rebuilding my ignition that had blown up on me. Last week, I fired my car up for the first time in 2 ½ years of rebuilding! Good luck and please take your time if you are going to take this on.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
ataraxia, thanks for the breakdown. I cannot figure out how to get the blinker switch off. I'll look closer at it this afternoon.

There's a very thin circlip holding the turn signal arm off. This is what they look like once off the housing:

Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:

The black cap for the back of the ignition switch is meant as a cover only - it shouldn't be holding anything together.

Well, that was my experience.
When I got my Notch, that cover was missing. The PO had duct-taped a wad of paper in there. When removed, the car would only start by pressing on that disc when turning the key. Hence, my conclusion that the disc needs to be held in contact with something inside. And, IIRC, at that time, someone was selling those caps for $100 each. Shocked
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:

When I got my Notch, that cover was missing. The PO had duct-taped a wad of paper in there. When removed, the car would only start by pressing on that disc when turning the key. Hence, my conclusion that the disc needs to be held in contact with something inside. And, IIRC, at that time, someone was selling those caps for $100 each. Shocked

Something was already wrong with your switch by then...the bakelite on the back is about as strong as a Dollar Tree trashbag once it's cracked. Properly built, they're very durable and reliable - especially when there's a hot start relay in the system.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:

Something was already wrong with your switch by then...the bakelite on the back is about as strong as a Dollar Tree trashbag once it's cracked. Properly built, they're very durable and reliable - especially when there's a hot start relay in the system.

Yes, if you had to push on it, the bakelite disc was popping out and this had nothing to do with the cap.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

Any updates on this??
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Starter / Ignition Woes Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Any updates on this??

I put in the push button switch like planned. Works as planned.

I will look this summer for a option to get it back to stock. Right now I am just driving. Very Happy

I think I may need a new flywheel too. The starter spins without initiating from time to time. Must have damaged mine when I had to run it for 10 seconds with the starter grinding away. Such is life.
My Old 70 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: