Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Hi, I want to change the camshaft of my 2.1 engine. I want a camshaft that provides more power and torque. This engine has hydraulic lifters, you know.

What camshatf should I put on it? I want to use it like daily, but with a bit more power.

Greetings from Spain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Hola Very Happy
To my knowledge no aftermarket hydraulic cam has that behaviure. You need to swop to mechanical. Then there are some grinds that will improve the overall performance.
- the CB 2280 has been used with hydraulic lifters with remarkable result apparently. But those engines were MW (Lower compression)

- Is the DJ cam worn ? If not I would keep it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ArnoudH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Doesn't Schleicher make faster WBX cams?
http://www.ahnendorp.com/VW-Wasserboxer-Motorenteile-und-Bearbeitungen/Nockenwellen-und-Zubehoer-67/
There is a German camgrinder(Jürgen Nowak)that makes a WBX(112Hp) and a Oettinger WBX2500 cam.

Hope that helps.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Yes that is correct. But at least the Schleicher does NOT deliver better torque. It does make the engine rev higher and adds some power up in the 4500 - 5800 rpm range.
I do not know the Nowak cams by hand. But from what I have seen in other people´s engines the largest advantage with them over other grinds is the fact that they need less valve spring tension, sorta in the direction of Raptor cams.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

I'm running a CB 2252 in one wbx. First with 1.25's, now with stock 1.1.

Last edited by drumbum68 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Rocky Jennings has a cam kit that I'm sure you would be satisfied with.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:
Hi, I want to change the camshaft of my 2.1 engine. I want a camshaft that provides more power and torque. This engine has hydraulic lifters, you know.

What camshatf should I put on it? I want to use it like daily, but with a bit more power.

Greetings from Spain

CB has 4 different performance hydraulic grinds available. Webcam has 2 or 3 performance hydraulic grinds available. Engle has at least 3 performance hydraulic grinds available.

I have used them all with great success in my engines over the last 20+ years. It just depends on what kind of carburation you are using.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Careful, the US engines MV, have low compression, 8.5:1, make 85 HP, catalytic converter, etc...

The Euro 2.1 wbx (DJ) has 10.5:1, 112hp, no cat.

Wrong cam could really kill it!

Do you plan on keeping the fuel injection?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Careful, the US engines MV, have low compression, 8.5:1, make 85 HP, catalytic converter, etc...

The Euro 2.1 wbx (DJ) has 10.5:1, 112hp, no cat.

Wrong cam could really kill it!

Do you plan on keeping the fuel injection?

Actually 9-1. But apart from that Rolling Eyes
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

The DJ engine, from 86 model year onwards, has 10.5:1 c/r, with a specific cam with intake closing at 48° ATDC.

I may have it wrong with the MV engine. Have to check the Bentley. Here in switzerland, we only got SR engines, high comp and cat, but only 87 HP.

But I stand by my post: the DJ has hi comp and a special cam, lots of room for a screw- up...
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

OK, I can't find a reliable source for the US wasser c/r. I seemed to remember 8.5 or 8.6 :1 for the MV, but I may be mistaken.. when you say 9:1, Alstrup, is that for the MV?

I still say the DJ is a special case...
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

I agreed with you. Dont get all wound up Very Happy
Yes the MV & SS engines were 9-1
DJ 10,5 -1
DF, DG, and GW engines had 8,6-1

T
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Sorry, your wording caused me to think you were calling bullshit on my post, which I don't mind per se, but I didn't want it to be the cause of some poor dude's engine exploding somewhere in the Pyrenees... Embarassed

Here's what I have on the DJ's cam:

238° intake duration

230° exhaust duration

installed intake centerline: 109°

installed exhaust centerline: 115°

Lobe Separation Angle: 112°

overlap: 10°

IO: 10° BTDC
IC: 48° ABDC
EO: 50° BBDC
EC: 0° TDC

These events are all timed at 1mm, rather than the US 0.05" standard, but still give some idea of what could work. What's a good intake lobe for type 1 solid tappet 243° duration or so? You probably don't want to overdo it with lift, as this thing has valve-notches from the factory to provide clearance.

Choose a slightly smaller lobe for exhaust (230°?), and ask Webcam to grind it on 112 lobe separation, install it at 109° intake.

That said, you might increase torque, but probably not where you want it (higher up). What you really want to do is bore and/or stroke it.

Are you still using the stock Fuel Injection?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Yes. The high lobe centre is one of the reasons that it lives with so much CR with so relatively little duration (along with a bunch of other factors of course)

As I menthioned earlier, I am not aware of any hydraulic cams that will do as Alberto wish for. But a Web 163 on 108 LC advanced 2 degrees would work very well. And with the high CR it would pull 210 Nm easy. The E prom needs to be modified and the jets need to be replaced with one number larger. That can be found in most auto scrap yards from another vehicle. I had a customer car on the rolls some years back like this, only he used a W110 cam. I remember it pulled just around 140 hp, but I do not remember the torque. The Web is quieter running and pulls better torque than the W110.

That would be my choice.

T
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft for a EU DJ 2.1 wbx? Reply with quote

Hi again. Now I'm looking if I can put a Cb perf fuel inection (with a torque cam)

What do you think? it wil be work good? Can I keep the stock A/C System?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: