Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Pump works! Luckily I didn't really move that lock nut and there was even some gunk on it that allowed me to reinstall it very, very close to where it was. I probably need to check the calibration but I know I'll be starting out very close to where I need to be.

Now I've gotta figure out how to hook up all the wires to try this thing out.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Pump works! Luckily I didn't really move that lock nut and there was even some gunk on it that allowed me to reinstall it very, very close to where it was. I probably need to check the calibration but I know I'll be starting out very close to where I need to be.

Now I've gotta figure out how to hook up all the wires to try this thing out.

Andrew - how did you doodaat?

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

We have ignition!

For anyone else who wants to bench test one, here's how I hooked it up to the battery:

12v to:
Female connector with two red wires going to it.
Female connector with a black wire and a blue/white wire.

Ground to:
Recirculation fan ring terminal
Safety switch brown wire ring terminal
Brown with white stripe from timer switch
Ring terminal near coil with a brown wire and a red wire attached

I do have some troubleshooting to do.

After it runs for a few minutes, it seems that the safety switch wants to trip. I'm need to figure out what is causing that.

Also the combustion fan is a little buzzy. I've got two others but was having a hard time getting one of them apart. So I may swap to just see if any of the others work without opening it up. Or run this one for a while and work on the other later.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

A couple other questions I'm hoping someone can help out with.

This would be going in my '73. So it has a metal heat tube from back to front. I'll have to cut that.

I just crawled under there, It appears that maybe the front part of the heat tube is not welded to the distribution box in the front, and only the back part is welded up. Is that correct?

If it is welded in the front: I do not know for sure if my distribution box is the same as the ones for a Bus originally equipped with a BA6. Would someone be able to measure for me from the back of the frame rail that the distribution box goes through, to the back end of the distribution box? That would tell me where to cut it in the front.

Similarly, from the front of the rear frame rail to the front edge of the flapper box?

Thanks!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Another thought/question, regarding the recirculation fan.

I'm somewhat hesitant to cut a hole in the body behind the back seat for the return, and I do not have the flapper box, so I'm thinking of other options or possibilities.

One is running the hose up above the transmission to minimize the dust and such it would pull in. This would still require me to come up with a flapper box some how. I have an idea using an aluminum exhaust vent for a dryer or something to kludge one together.

Another is not using the recirulation at all. Instead, I'd probably come up with two separate fans in the engine compartment to increase air flow there.

Thoughts on all this?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

One more question, sorry!

Does anyone have any pics showing where the heater mounts to the bus' body?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Holy smokes! Busy day in the thread.

vwwestyman wrote:
One more question, sorry!

Does anyone have any pics showing where the heater mounts to the bus' body?

My bus didn't originally come with a BA6 either so I cut the brackets off of the bus one of my units came from. I took measurements before I did the cutting though and here's what shows in my notes. FYI, you can probably fab your own brackets pretty easily.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are by no means comprehensive, but should give you enough information to get close assuming these are sensible enough to a third party. Seeing these now, several months later, makes me realize I need to get a metric tape measure.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Does anyone have a parts source for these? I am in need of a fuel pump and glow plug for the BA6 in my 78 Panel Bus. German Supply, who carries a fair amount of parts for Eberspacher gas heaters, is out of both. I have done some searching on thesamba, but have not lucked out as of now. Thanks in advance, and apologies for jumping into someone else's post!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
Holy smokes! Busy day in the thread.

Is this a drawing of what the three brackets look like? Looks like they are/could be made out of 1/8 inch angle iron, with a slot cut in where the bolt for the rubber hangar bit to go through.

Am I interpreting that correctly?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

And are those connected to the floor itself, or to the frame rails that support the floor?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
And are those connected to the floor itself, or to the frame rails that support the floor?

Searched google images and found this one that gives me an idea for the front bracket, at least, and also a good illustration of where the heater needs to be placed.

From a different BA6 thread:

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Does your heater have the rubber mounts attached?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Yes. I've actually got two heaters here in the garage and both have all three.

If you need some, they certainly look very similar to the mounts for a fuel injection fuel pump.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

They are mounted to the horizontal cross members. And yes, the slots are for the rubber mounts.

foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

My combustion air blower is running (albeit still fused to the exchanger) but I have no pulsed ground to the fuel pump. I do have the constant 12V.

I want to believe it's something other than the points after reading
busdaddy wrote:
...test the wires to the fuel pump while the heater is running, one should show 12V constantly when the thermostat is closed and the other should show a pulsed ground (you'll need a test light with the clip on a + power source to test that), maybe the points are indeed doing thier thing and a relay or safety switch has failed.

but it looks like a straight shot from the points to the pump for the pulsed ground, correct?
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

foxmon wrote:
My combustion air blower is running (albeit still fused to the exchanger) but I have no pulsed ground to the fuel pump. I do have the constant 12V.

I want to believe it's something other than the points after reading
busdaddy wrote:
...test the wires to the fuel pump while the heater is running, one should show 12V constantly when the thermostat is closed and the other should show a pulsed ground (you'll need a test light with the clip on a + power source to test that), maybe the points are indeed doing thier thing and a relay or safety switch has failed.

but it looks like a straight shot from the points to the pump for the pulsed ground, correct?

Jason has a good video on testing your points:

Link

Link

I had to replace my combustion fan because my pulsing ground was weak even though I could see the points pulsing.

Last edited by RONIN10 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Similar

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

No pulse from the fuel pump points testing it directly at the connector. I have another combustion air blower that bench tests fine.

I'm still stuck getting the blower off the heat exchanger. Andrew how did you achive
RONIN10 wrote:
System A's recently freed motor

Am I going to get it done still in the bus?
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Alas, I had to sacrifice the lip of the combustion fan housing (I had a spare). There was a white crud stuck in the seam between the combustion fan and the flange on the heat exchanger. I was a little impatient though, but I think with some penetrating oil and time and with some cautious prying around the sealing surface, you should be able to get it loose. When you reconnect the two, just make sure you apply some sort of anti-seize or other suitable substance to keep that from happening again.

I can't say for sure if you're going to need to pull the heater exchanger unit to separate the two, but it'll certainly improve access if you do.

Martin Henriksson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher BA6 Tear down, restoration, and installation Reply with quote

Nice resto! Will soon rebuild my BA6 too. Have anyone tryed the new style glowplugs from Beru yet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: