Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So you have a "NO RUST" Van?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

I recently had a truck throw a good size stone at my windshield. Needless to say a simple rock chip repair was not going to work. I have had success with several of these on the van.

So I removed the glass, seal, and I was appalled at what was under the seal! Mad Rust in several spots, and a "HOLE" in the corner. Crying or Very sad This van had been repainted in the past 10 years and it shows no signs of rust. During winter camping I remember how much condensation would run off the inside of the windshield. I would roll towels up and stuff them between the dash and the windshield. Confused

It was time to take action and cut out the metal and re-weld in new. I then primed and applied POR 15 to both sides of the pinch welds. (3)three coats.

I was lucky to catch this before things got much worse. Being careful I was able to keep the paint looking good other than one spot needed a touch up with paint. Crying or Very sad

So take a look under the rubber on your van. If you notice bubble spots raising the edge of the rubber seal, then you know what's going on under there. Idea

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

Bummer. Not trying to show but was happy to see this when I pulled mine last fall. Went ahead and did a preventative rust bullet as added protection

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

A rust bubble on the edge of a window seal is a kiss of death as far as I'm concerned! I certainly do not have the numerous Vanagons of experience as some people on here do, but I think they may agree a rust bubble here is signs of a hole underneath the seal. Sad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

Maybe I can scrape off the rust with a wire brush and paint it with Rustoleum....
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

May be living in UT does not help thing. And worst if the van is from the rust belt. Higher temperature the faster the oxidation chemical reaction. What about paint damage from bad windshield replacement workmanship? I remember seeing auto glass replacement techs scrapping down the old sealant/caulking with a sharp putty knife and just re-install the windshield without any attempt to reseal the damaged paint.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Maybe I can scrape off the rust with a wire brush and paint it with Rustoleum....

Do a little research on that one. You would be better using automotive paints designed for the job and the proper preparation for the long term protection. Don't get me wrong and not talking you down, Rustoleum is good stuff, but there is better!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

The more time that passes that I'm exposed to this Vans, the more I am becoming convinced that a 100% rust free Van does not exist!

Even many of the pristine SW Vans have seam rust and kitchen rust.
If not rusted there the sun dried out the weatherstrip and the is window rust.

In my mind there is a sliding scale ..........

Less Rust >>>>>>> Rusty <<<<<<<<< more Rust
10 ............................. 5 .................................... 0

We ALL fall on that scale somewhere!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The more time that passes that I'm exposed to this Vans, the more I am becoming convinced that a 100% rust free Van does not exist!

Even many of the pristine SW Vans have seam rust and kitchen rust.
If not rusted there the sun dried out the weatherstrip and the is window rust.

In my mind there is a sliding scale ..........

Less Rust >>>>>>> Rusty <<<<<<<<< more Rust
10 ............................. 5 .................................... 0

We ALL fall on that scale somewhere!

Dave

Oh yah?

You are almost right. I do have a small surface rust spot at the rear door cable entry. Mine is 99.95% rust free. you need to add many more dots by the 10 side for me so I can depict where mine is at. Laughing

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

Dave.

Your scale is in need of some resolution upgrade.

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

Ron, just park next to mine if you want to feel good about a rust free van Wink
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

For some it may be viewed as foolhardy. My windshield was the recipient of a flying rock within the first year of my ownership. It never fails with every new vehicle that I own, I get a rock chip almost immediately.

It cause a hairline crack on the passenger side near the A pillar. There were no chip fix back in circa 1990 - at least not widely known. I thought should I get the windshield replaced? I knew about the potential risk of having the windshield replaced and only to have the tech damage the paint on the metal. I decided that I would live with it. I still have the same factory windshield today, and the virgin rubber gasket. One of these days, I might replace the windshield myself.

I hope because of this I don't have rust under the windshield gasket.

I have done one on a BMW 2002 and it is a bit of struggle even with a helper.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

You will have rust because the rubber glass seal dried and shrank creating a small gap.
Not because of a glass chip or crack.

3M bedding compound is your friend with new glass.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
You will have rust because the rubber glass seal dried and shrank creating a small gap.

Dave

I am unconvinced. If my gasket is in excellent shape, because of spending most time in garage, the painted sheet metal is likely to be in pretty good shape. If I am not mistaken, VW factory used butyl sealant under the rubber gasket. If what you say is true than all other windows would likely be in similar boat, though a bit better due to the forward traveling of the vehicle.

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

I am unconvinced. If my gasket is in excellent shape, because of spending most time in garage, the painted sheet metal is likely to be in pretty good shape. If I am not mistaken, VW factory used butyl sealant under the rubber gasket. If what you say is true than all other windows would likely be in similar boat, though a bit better due to the forward traveling of the vehicle.

You saw my window lip a few posts up, that was OG seal, bone dry. All the rest of my seals are OG too. Every so often I gently lift them up with a flathead screwdriver with tape over the blade to check for rust. So far nada. All the seals are soft and pliable with no cracking whatsoever. I agree with Dave though, they do shrink with age and allow moisture to sit under the seal doing horrible things behind your back. Fortunately I live in a dry climate so, the demons are not as nasty out here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

My New Mexico van has no rust. Zero. Well, one spot under the corner of the sliding door. Apparently a factory worker forgot to daub it with goo, because all other Vanagons I’ve seen have goo spread in that corner. But in the typical places, no rust at all.

It does however suffer from rubber decomposition from the harsh UV here.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
chase4food wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

You saw my window lip a few posts up, that was OG seal, bone dry. All the rest of my seals are OG too. Every so often I gently lift them up with a flathead screwdriver with tape over the blade to check for rust. So far nada. All the seals are soft and pliable with no cracking whatsoever. I agree with Dave though, they do shrink with age and allow moisture to sit under the seal doing horrible things behind your back. Fortunately I live in a dry climate so, the demons are not as nasty out here

Your points are well taken and I appreciate you share your experience. My thinking is that I am better not to lift to examine and stretch the rubber.

ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

pfffff your funny with your rust stuff

Please

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

that looks like a sunken treasure ship. a Spanish galleon would be my guess. Evil or Very Mad

ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
that looks like a sunken treasure ship. a Spanish galleon would be my guess. Evil or Very Mad

No, it's part of the Titanic
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: So you have a "NO RUST" Van? Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
chase4food wrote:

No, it's part of the Titanic

can't fault the French Canadians for their love of gourmet sea salt.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: