Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission cooler
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Transmission cooler Reply with quote

Anybody have any luck with installing after market external transmission cooler on their EVC. I have a 1996 -5cyl. Given the problems with the AT s on these I was thinking it might be a good preemptive move.

I am wondering if there is a brand more suitable to the EVC or can I use any after market model. Are they much better than the factory glycol to oil cooler?

Also, assuming it is installed in front of the radiator behind the grill, does that affect the movement of the rad when I want to lift it out of the way for engine servicing.

thanks
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

I installed this kit in my 95 Rialta. At the time there was a guy (TX pigeon) selling kits and his videos are on You tube
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Transmission-Cooler-Kit-WIT...:g:DqkAAOS
When servicing the engine the rad just drops out of the way by disconnecting a couple of metal screws

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

we have a cooler on our 95 rialta. it was on it when we bought it.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

I have not done the install, but we have these on almost all of our EVCs as a preventative measure (and because it's required for warranty on replacement transmissions we have purchased).

all coolers/kits came from German Transaxle in Bend, Oregon. Never had an issue with any of them.

I did have a local trans shop put a cooler on at one point, but it was three times smaller than the GT one and they failed miserably at installing it and it left a renter stranded. I learned my lesson quickly to go with the people that have been doing this specifically for these vans for a while now.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

thanks for the information.

i'm curious about how the transmission fluid moves throughout the cooler.

assuming there is a pump in the transmission, is it strong enough to move the fluid up through the cooler and back?. Seems like a lot of added resistance compared to its original intention of just circulating it though the small top mounted cooler.

also does mounting the cooler in front of the rad reduce the airflow or temperature drop through the rad? Anybody notice their engine running a little hotter?

just wondering.

thanks again
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

no problems-thousands installed

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
boostin20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

I just installed the Pop Top Heaven kit. The SONAX adapters work well, the rear one towards the rear of the vehicle is a massive pain to get in. The cooler core they provided is nice and large....I think the largest possible in the space behind the gill in front of the condenser.

And a shout out to the Pop Top Heaven folks, I contacted them to ask about their shipping time frame...and they pulled some strings for me on their end and made sure to get me the parts in time for my scheduled installation. That was a huge help for me.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

Won't any water to air cooler do-the-job provided it can be fitted and plumbed?

Mishimoto claims a lifetime warranty on their products -- but I have heard some mixed reviews regarding them. But the price is right, even if you have to go find some more fittings.

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-transmission-coolers.html

EDITED: to specify comment is in regards to Mishimoto (and not Pop Top Heaven)

Last edited by Itsamoto on Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

the poptop heaven folks are all very nice. glad to have them around.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boostin20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Won't any water to air cooler do-the-job provided it can be fitted and plumbed?

The Pop Top Heaven kit includes a Tru-Cool core. IMO it is a lot denser/thicker and will provide a much better cooling than the ones you included in your link.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

boostin20v wrote:

The Pop Top Heaven kit includes a Tru-Cool core. IMO it is a lot denser/thicker and will provide a much better cooling than the ones you included in your link.

Awesome -- some good information there to that explains the advantage: www.trucool.com
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

When I go for the trans rebuild soon on the 03 GLS, the PTH cooler will be there waiting to go on as the 01P goes back in. Smile
Snowshoer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

I have the Go Westy kit sitting in my garage waiting forms weekend to attempt it. They did not give very good instructions so when the time comes I will have to rely on the internet for guidance. Kit looks solid and well made.
willisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

I have the GoWesty kit installed and it has made a huge difference with trans temps. I keep an eye on it with a scangauge. Very well worth the money in my opinion.

I did a trip over a pass with another eurovan without a cooler. I hovered around 190-200 and he was near 240 once we got to the top.
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

O.k. Finally got around to installing an aftermarket Transmission Oil cooler on my 1996 EVC

Bought it from Macko out of Fla. They were having a sale so though it should go for it.

Watched Tex Pigeon video first on U-tube but because he demonstrates on a Rialta, my installation was different.

They send some universal brackets with the kit that although pretty flimsy seem to do the job. I had to drill extra holes in them. Choosing a location for the cooler was the biggest challenge . if you set it in the middle most of it will sit behind the white solid plastic in the front grill. I thought that might reduce air flow. If you go too low , you cant get the grill back on and the hoses kink. So i choose going up higher. About 40% of it is still behind the solid plastic, so i hoping there will be enough air flow.

Installing the adapters is challenging. Not much room in there . i took all the hoses out of the way first, tied some wires and cables up and removed the plastic battery box. You can get in there with a short ratchet and 8mm allen head socket. Didn't need a 12" extension like he shows

other than that you just have to watch how you run the hoses so they don't kink or rub on any hot or sharp surfaces.

Should mention i had to use a dremel to cut away some plastic where the hoses come through and turn to avoid a sharp 90 deg.

like to hear from other folks how their installation went.

so a couple of questions:

what is the normal operating temp of the ATF? With and without a cooler? Like to know how effective this cooler is.

I should probably get a temperature gauge now but not sure were to install the sensor. I didn't see any threaded ports on the transmission housing that i could use for the sensor. Anybody know where to by a metric treaded sensor and gauge?

That's it for now, please feel free to comment on the photos.

cheers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Snowshoer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

Is there anybody who has step by step instruction on doing this job? I've looked on the Internet but didn't come up with anything. I'm going to install the GoWesty one this weekend. Also, how much extra fluid did the transmission take after cooler has been installed? I'm going to do a filter changeout and add the dipstick at the same time as the cooler install. Hopefully things go ok.

Thanks!!
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

not sure what kind of van you have. If you look up "Texas Pigeon , VW Rialta transmission cooler" on you -tube, he has an eight part video on it. Most of that you can apply to any Eurovan.

What i suggest is locating the cooler first. I had to do a lot of second tries to get it in the right place. Not sure what kind of mounting brackets you received but i had to slightly modify them. Its all trial and error , takes a bit of time.

As far as the extra fluid, I added anther third of a liter which is probably a bit much, so i'll drain out the excess after i get it up to temperature.

seeing as how your are doing a filter and oil change and dipstick it should be easier. I just know it needs to be up to temperature to get an accurate reading.

Hope this helps.
boostin20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

The mentioned video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pREbSO9PEhw

I was able to follow the video install on my '01 EVW and never touched the brackets provided by the cooler. The core fit nice and snug placed as seen in the video (I didn't need to file anything on mine).
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

all - I'll have more info on this in the next few days, but one warning:

check your clamps. I've now had two different kinds of clamps fail on the hoses leading in and out of the trans cooler - and when they fail, you lose all forward or reverse motion (obviously).... thankfully both times the vans were around town and with good friends.

Mark at Wolfsburg Autowerk in Boulder (the best Eurovan shop in the state) has been great about fixing the problems for us (they did the cooler install) but has been really unhappy with the clamp fittings he's found... one clamp tore into the rubber and the second failure came from a clamp that went lose. We're on to clamp style #3 now and he seems to think it seems to be the one ("I swear I'm going to take up heroin if these don't work out") -- I'll get info on which ones failed and which ones are holding ASAP.

just be sure to check and double check them for the first few months. I don't want anyone to experience a total and complete breakdown!

side note: a third time I had one fail it was due to the crappy transmission shop's crappy employee who (while we were in the waiting room) cursed out the boss and quit mid-job on my van. He ended up using the wrong types of hoses and fitting altogether and the van crapped out in about 300 miles somewhere in the middle of nowhere when it puked up red fluid all over the service road. Renters were NOT pleased and neither were we -- ended up getting the money we refunded the renters back from the shop as well as the cost of the trans cooler and labor -- ended up throwing out the POS that they put in anyway and installing one from German Transaxle. thankfully the renters understood it was well beyond anything we could have done and have since come back to rent from us twice more!

ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission cooler Reply with quote

Can you elaborate on the type 3 hose clamp?

Now you have me worried. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: