Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Won't start... newbie needing advice
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

Hello all,

Buggy ran last year with no issues, minus when cooler out a little slower to start.

Installed new dash this winter, along with a push start button and a new Bosch blue coil... besides that, same setup as last year. Now it won't start.

Pulled a plug and confirmed I am getting spark. Looked in carbs and getting good fuel flow. Just had the valve covers off and adjusted the rockers to a slightly tight 0.006. Did a compression test this morning and got:
- Cylinder 1 - 110
- Cylinder 2 - 103
- Cylinder 3 - 80
- Cylinder 4 - 75

Now I know this can't be good, but what is the next step? Pull 3/4 cylinder head and service, or do both cylinder heads need a service? Anything else I should be looking at?

Felling like Shocked , want to be feeling like Cool

Cheers,
CWAT

Last edited by cwat1982 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
Hello all,

Buggy ran last year with no issues, minus when cooler out a little slower to start.

Installed new dash this winter, along with a push start button and a new Bosch blue coil... besides that, same setup as last year. Now it won't start.

Pulled a plug and confirmed I am getting spark. Looked in carbs and getting good fuel flow. Just had the valve covers off and adjusted the rockers to a slightly tight 0.006. Did a compression test this morning and got:
- Cylinder 1 - 110
- Cylinder 2 - 103
- Cylinder 3 - 80
- Cylinder 4 - 75

Now I know this can't be good, but what is the next step? Pull 3/4 cylinder head and service, or do both cylinder heads need a service? Anything else I should be looking at?

Felling like Shocked , want to be feeling like Cool

Cheers,
CWAT

When you ran your compression test. Did you have the throttle wide open for at least 6 revolutions? That will make a difference. Also once you got your initial test results, did you squirt a little oil into the spark plug holes and run the test again? Doing that will give you an idea if the heads need rebuilt or your piston rings are shot. If the compression goes up it's the rings. If the compression remains the same as the initial test. Heads are suspect.
Give it a shot and get back with the results. The smarter guys here will help you figure it out.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

Hello 67rustavenger,

I did not have the throttle wide open, didn't touch it the whole time... just held the starter.

I didn't squirt any oil in either. On that though, I have tried to start it many times over the last couple weeks, when I pulled the plugs for the test I could see they were a little "wet"... probably from being flooded after all the attempts without firing up. Would that have the same effect as adding a little oil?

Cheers,
CWAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

Regrading the wet plugs. The answer is no. Gas is not viscous enough to help the rings seal.
Run the test again as I described above and you will see different results.
Throttle wide open no oil. Then add a squirt of oil and run it again. Remember, 6 revolutions with the throttle wide open.
Post the results here.'
One other thing. Pull your dipstick and give it a sniff. If you smell gas. Make sure to change your oil soon. It will be washing all the lube off the cylinder walls.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

cwat1982 wrote:
I have tried to start it many times over the last couple weeks, when I pulled the plugs for the test I could see they were a little "wet"... probably from being flooded after all the attempts without firing up.

I think you just flooded the engine (wouldn't worry about your "compression test numbers" as you didn't do that test correctly).

I'd pull the plugs, clean them with aerosol brake cleaner, let them dry. And let the cylinders dry out a day while the plugs are out. Then try to start without flooding it.

I recently had issues with a lawn mower not starting because of flooding, was similar.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

A safety note. Make sure to disconnect the point wire from the coil #1 post. Then you wont get any sparks from the ignition circuit. Plus if you have a petronics ignition, you wont destroy the module. It happens all the time.
Good Luck.

cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

Hello again,

New compression test completed with the throttle wide open, and holding for 6 revolutions:
- Cylinder 1 - 142
- Cylinder 2 - 150
- Cylinder 3 - 150
- Cylinder 4 - 148

Looks much better!!! I did not do the oil squirt then recheck as I figured these numbers didn't justify it... let me know if I'm wrong and I will do it.

I pulled the dipstick and didn't get an definite gas smell, but it was off from the new oil so I have it draining now. Works out as I have to install a new oil temp. sender in the block off plate anyway.

Cusser, I pulled the plugs this morning and cleaned them like you said, will leave everything to air out till tomorrow.

As well, drained out all old gas, and filled with fresh.

Cheers,
CWAT

Last edited by cwat1982 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

Not sure if this matters, but here is my distributer rotor positions when lined up to TDC and BDC.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is a Pertronix Flame-Thrower Part # D1866. Is this a good distributer, or should I be looking to upgrade? I want easy to setup, with as little maintenance as possible.

Cheers,
CWAT
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

The Pertronix distributor is probably ok.... There is not a lot of choices out there, most new distributor seem to have their own set of problems....

If you did not move distributor during your work in engine compartment, distributor/timing is probably not a problem...

If you still have wont start issues it may be as mentioned above as the possibility of flooding or wiring to new coil...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

I will try it again, just waiting on a couple gaskets to be delivered before filling it back up with oil. If it doesn't work I will try the old coil.

On the flooding note. I know the engine is running rich, when I pulled the spark plugs last year they were black with carbon deposits. Should I be looking to adjust the carbs to fix this? The engine has EMPI HPMX 44 carbs.

Also I bought Bosch iridum spark plugs, I was going to throw them in after I had the running rich issue sorted out, should I just throw them in now?

Cheers,
CWAT
Thing_Man73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

This may sound like a dumb question but I don't see it mentioned above. Did you visually see the Spark Plugs 'Sparking' when you cranked it over with a plug grounded against the tin? That is one of the first things that I check is for coil spark and plug spark.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start... newbie needing advice Reply with quote

Hello Thing_Man73,

You bet, I pulled a plug and confirmed I was getting spark.

Cheers,
CWAT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: