Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine deck lid latch cover installation
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

For those that have successfully bent the tabs outward, to secure the cover in-place... please share your method.

When I tried... it stayed for a while... but ended up falling off.
I used needle nose pliers & pried them open. What makes it tough, is working through the double layer wall of the deck lid... so when you're trying to spread the tabs... they're about a fat inch into a hole.

I was thinking some external snap ring type pliers would be better.... that expand when you squeeze the handle.

If you've been successful... please post the specific brand/model of plier.
Or... if you had success using some other method, please share.
Thx,
e
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

I bent one wing out somewhat before I fitted the cover, but left the other upright. I hooked the bent wing through the hole, then poked a screwdriver through the hole and tapped it with a hammer to bend both wings fully open.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

Having one wing bent first is a good idea.

I do this with the engine lid latch off, and then it is easy to press the tabs from the inside.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
I bent one wing out somewhat before I fitted the cover, but left the other upright. I hooked the bent wing through the hole, then poked a screwdriver through the hole and tapped it with a hammer to bend both wings fully open.

I've only re-installed originals but this is what I did.

It stays tighter with the seal in place rather than just the metal cover too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

yes, use the seal
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

Thanks everybody!...
The seal I had was just a thin piece of rubber... about the thickness of a bicycle inner tube. The diameter was pretty much the same as the cover. It was a pain to try to have it remain under the cover & not jack up the paint.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

I used super glue to hold the rubber in place on the cover then a big fat screwdriver to bend the tabs down.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
The seal I had was just a thin piece of rubber... about the thickness of a bicycle inner tube.

Pretty sure it's the same as the cargo door rubber under the outer escutcheon.
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
I used super glue to hold the rubber in place on the cover then a big fat screwdriver to bend the tabs down.
Kurt

Well, I busted a both an OG and a repo latch cover this weekend. The OG version's tabs were a little brittle to begin with and I guess I put a little too much force.

The repo version from WW was pretty damn sturdy and I got in there with my big ol screwdriver but couldn't get the tabs to bend over tightly. The key cover would still rattle around and, after enough shaking, could just fall out. I take to take more 'aggressive' tactics so I got an impact driver and tried that out but that busted the spring.

Anyone have a bulletproof way to install this WW latch cover so its tight?
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

Bulletproof... dunno, mine's still not on.

But, my next plan of attack is to try some expanding pliers.
The trick is finding some that are narrow engough to fit through the hole... long enough to reach the tabs... and have the hinge point in the right spot.
Out of the ones shown below, I think the top ones might work.

https://www.expandingpliers.com/

If you like expensive pliers... looks like about half of these might be contenders...
https://store.snapon.com/Snap-Ring-Pliers-C676033.aspx
JonnyCJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

I also had issues getting my lock cover to fit.

What I did was take the engine lid off, lock mechanism out and with the lock cover on the bench I pre-bent the bottom tab into its final position (which is approx 45 deg). I then partially bend the top tab so that it WOULDN’T fit into the aperture.

I then bent it back a tiny amount so that it fitted through the slot with a bit of interference.

That was sufficient to position the lock and hold it there so that you can adjust the rubber seal to the correct position.

From there I used a cold chisel (large screwdriver will work) with the engine lid on its side and pushed against the lock with the flat of my left hand and pushed the tip of the chisel against the top tab.

This method means that you only have to bend the top tab over a small amount to get the lock to stay in position and you don’t damage anything. Pre-bend8ng the top tab is the key as you’re pushing it down rather than across and down.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

I used a C clamp. First i cut down the round end that would go INTO the inside hole to fit through the church key hole (inside), then carefully covered the outside and clamped down the tabs twice-easy peasy (pre-bent) tabs of course.
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

Thought I would add my take on this job. For such a small item it was a total pain in the ass to install. I would love to see the tool the factory used to do this.
I started with a repro cover from WW. After messing with it one of the tangs broke off probably from too much bending back and forth trying to install it. So, I purchased a second one.
The second try was successful. First I spread the tangs apart with a pair of slip joint pliers till it would barely fit into the hole. The I took a large 1/2" bolt and screwed it in between the tangs with a slight amount of pressure and my palm against the cover. Once i felt it grab I turned it just a little more to spread it apart, maybe 1/2 to 1 turn.

Then after making sure the tangs were lined up with the slots in the cover I took a 13MM deep socket which barely fit through the access hole a pressed it against the tangs with a c clamp. After removing the clamp it is nice and snug and doesn't rotate when I move the cover over.

70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine deck lid latch cover installation Reply with quote

I recently installed mine; a few detours before getting to the actual topic title.

As you can see, someone likely wedged it with a screwdriver at some point; even after Jeff Gagnon kindly used the proper tools to massage the metal back to shape as much as possible, there still was too much of a gap to engage both the locking tabs on the escutcheon.

I took some POR15 Patch,

put some tape over the hole to make a flat surface on the outside and put a decent smoosh of the epoxy inside. I flattened it out a bit when tacky, and then when dry carefully trimmed it closer to proper shape.

I slightly bent the tabs and put the escutcheon in place; I was able to get a needle nose plier and get the lower one pretty firmly on the epoxy; I took a large blunt screwdriver and carefully pressed the other tab down as hard as I could… making sure it didn’t slip and nail my fingers on other side. Escutcheon is pretty darn solidly placed - no wiggling or rattling. Of course

I’d forgotten to put on the damn seal first! Not going to undo it all; I’ll put one on when this escutcheon falls off or gets bent or whatever.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: