Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smaller Steering Wheel
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I feel like the old lady on TV that's "Fallen and can't get up!".

I've got the seat all the way back, and don't have any trouble getting in my Thing, but when it's time to get out - I'm trapped and have to struggle to get my legs out.

I'm in need of a smaller steering wheel - any suggestions (besides losing weight)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

If it's a street car, I've run a formuling (sp.?) in my bugs with much satisfaction. Unfortunately the company is out of business, although you can still find them at the swaps. Small wheel=great for street...off road, not so much.
bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I had the same issue and ended up installing one of these.
several others have installed one as well.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-VW-1960-1973-Oak-...nav=SEARCH
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Thanks guys -

Anyone try a removable steering wheel kit?

One that would work with the stock wheel and horn?

Thanks again,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Maybe a tilt steering wheel would work for you?

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/steering-mounts.html
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You could make your own like mine. Took a whole day though. And helps to know an upholsterer. Also GT wheels come in 13" dia. Also will require more effort to turn.
burgertimegirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Hi,
If you'd like to sell your original wheel, please let me know. I have a small wheel in my Thing, and I want a bigger one. I'd offer to trade, but I don't think you'd want this one. It's pretty old.

Thanks!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

limon wrote:
I'm in need of a smaller steering wheel - any suggestions?

If you pay for postage, you can have this one. Or, depending where you live, I can rendezvous with you and save shipping (which can't be too cheap). I live in the mid-Atlantic area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After trying a few, I went with what is a stock steering wheel with the leather (?) wrap around the ring. I kept the one that came with it because it was easier getting in and out, but now that I had my hip replacement, I know I won't ever go back to it.
Schwankster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Smaller Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Grant makes a removable steering wheel kit, but it is just for their wheels. I installed one of the wood Grant GT steering wheels with the "security" removable kit in my Thing. The wheel is smaller than stock, so it makes it MUCH easier to get in and out of the Thing. I like the security feature of being able to remove the wheel when I park my Thing. The installation is easy, and can be returned to stock since there are no modifications required to install the kit & wheel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: