Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

disc brake conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I apologise if this is a repeat posting as I searched and just got confused.

My Thingster with a 2054 motor now goes so well that I was stopped by the California Highway Patrol at 79 MPH, and they just wanted to look and gave me a warning. I have even had it to 89 on the GPS and feel that I really need better brakes than a standard type 181. BTW with 31" tyres and a 4.125 R&P I do 25 MPH per 1000 RPM

I have been looking and realise that there are many choices.
does anyone have an opinion on the Jbugs disc brake mod kits?
VW Zero Off-Set Rear Disc Brake Kit w/ E-Brake, 5 Lug 5X205, For IRS 1973-1979
http://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2907.html

and

VW Zero Off-Set Front Disc Brake Kit, 5 Lug 5X205, For June of 1968-1977 Ball Joint
http://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2895.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

'73 Thing: CSP front disc brake installation issue
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606931&highlight=csp+disc+brakes

Do this, worth the $ That is what I have.
C31-499-181-5205 - CSP MADE IN GERMANY - 73-74 THING BOLT-ON (DRUM SPINDLE) DISC BRAKE KIT - WITH 5x205MM BOLT PATTERN - WITH ZERO OFF-SET - (A50)

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-499-181-5205
| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I too have the CSP disc brakes (front only). I am very happy with them as to fit, quality, stopping performance, etc.
The CSP brakes for Things are the only "kit" I know of that is compatible with the stock wheels.
But...
If I did not want to keep my stock 14" wheels, or if I already had aftermarket 15" or larger wheels, I would seriously consider other options.
There are several options available that use VW calipers, and so replacement or service parts are easier to get.
The CSP kit uses French Delco calipers, and while they are very common in Europe, in the US, only CSP dealers will have replacement pads. For seals, good luck.

Sam- If Kubelmann doesn't chime in here, send him a private message. He has a wealth of knowledge of this; he was doing disc brake conversions on Things before anybody else. Ask him about 924 trailing arms for the rear discs.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I put CSPs on the front in December. The difference in braking between stock and the CSPs is breathtaking.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

hobie16 wrote:
I put CSPs on the front in December. The difference in braking between stock and the CSPs is breathtaking.
I installed the CSP disc brakes in the front of my vehicle in NOV 2015, I will also confirm that the difference is very noticeable. I have stock rims on my vehicle.

I compared the cost of using a 'wide 5' disc brake setup, but by the time I calculated the cost of five 15 inch rims, the tires, and the cost of the disc brakes it was pretty close to purchasing the CSP setup and using stock rims.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Can you define breathtaking?

I am not trying to be funny, but can you explain how it makes a difference as I have contemplated this change before but still have not converted.

Obviously the big advantage would be in the rain and no more brake fade due to heat, and no more adjustment on the drums.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Can you define breathtaking?

Sure. With the stock front brakes I'd always leave lots of extra room between me and the vehicle in front. Approaching a controlled intersection I'd always bethinking about the light changing due to the extra time it took to come to a complete stop. Emergency stops, light change, moron change lane, something unexpected, were always heart pumpers.

The CSPs ended all that. They're so good it feels like the power brakes in my truck.

---Captain Ron
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Thank you all for the praises of CSP. I don't think anyone doubts the effectiveness of disc brakes. My question was, "Are the EMPI brakes OK?"

They have a matched set of front & rears, so that was what I was thinking.

I await some report on the EMPI's. I will call around further before I make a decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Wow, that is great news on the CSPs-thanks. I think I need to go drive one with discs on the front.

I would be interested on the Empi's as well as the AC Industries set sold by SoCal Imports when using larger wheels so you have more options.
Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I have the So Cal imports front disc brakes on mine and I am more than happy with them. They do require 15" wheels, but they bolted right up and have served me well. From what I understand, they use first gen VW rabbit pads.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Comments in other threads indicate adding rear disks are not worth the cost or effort. A number find getting the parking brake to work is problematic.

---Captain Ron
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Madkel wrote:
I have the So Cal imports front disc brakes on mine and I am more than happy with them. They do require 15" wheels, but they bolted right up and have served me well. From what I understand, they use first gen VW rabbit pads.
What VW part number did you use for the rear drums ? Any spacers used due to the rear Thing drums being wider ?
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Does EMPI have a set that will work with the OEM 14 inch rims?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I believe that CSP is the only one that will work with the 14" wheel. The Empi and AC Industries kits will work with 15" wheels. The CB Performance will work with 15" wheels but push the tires out some 7/8".
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I have ordered the EMPI kits from JBUGS.
Will post pictures next week,
I have decided to go discs front & rear.

I will be driving my Thingster from the SF Bay Area to Laughlin NV for memorial; day weekend. Then 200 miles to Barstow on the Mojave road, offroad with the SoCalBajas, and back home. All told a little over 1000 miles.

I should have some neat videos from my new dashcam.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Sam-
With disc brakes front and rear, you might want to look into an up-sized master cylinder.

CSP (and others) recommend a 20.64mm bore.
It's worth doing some research.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-611-015-000
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-611-017-111

Whatever you decide, good luck with the project, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I will try the standard master cylinder, and if needed go to the size CSP recommends.
Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
Madkel wrote:
What VW part number did you use for the rear drums ? Any spacers used due to the rear Thing drums being wider ?

I have the stock 181 rear drums. Running 15" wheels. 7x15 front tires and 30x9.5x15 rear tires. Stops straight and true even in a panic stop.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Adjustable beam & disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Oh Dear, They arrived and will not fit. I have lifted spindles and they don't bolt on.
I guess I have to get an adjustable beam, to have discs and be lifted.
Is an adjustable beam available for a Thing, and is it different to a beetle one?
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: disc brake conversion Reply with quote

No, don't tell me that! How do they not fit with lifted spindles? I really need front discs to stop my Thing safely with the Subaru conversion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: