Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Wanted to start a thread about my bus for a while to document my bus and to ask dumb questions.

Fell in love with Buses about 4 years again and knew I had to have one. Attended a ton of VW shows and did hours of research before finally making the plunge.

Bought the bus on June 22. Took a while for the check to clear and to arrange shipping

Picked up July 15th from Oregon
Delivered July 24th to Long Island

3 years ago it was found by the second owner in a barn where is was sitting for 21 years

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

when found 3 years ago in a barn in Oregon

Getting shipped to Long Island

first ride with the family

hidden away in my Grandmas garage. I think she is still confused about what was in her garage during the winter

started to slowing clean up the dash
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

pulled the old engine that was from a 1970 beetle

New 2017cc engine arrived

This is where I hit a road block. tried multiple times installing engine and it wouldn't fit.

Then Manny came to the rescue

We figured out when the 2nd owner did the 6v to 12v conversion they kept the 6v starter and flywheel.

ordered a new starter and Manny helped me with a couple other problems

all new tranny mounts

new coupler

grinding out the tranny

The engine is in and now we are just sorting out a few small wiring issues

Manny has been a huge help and a great mentor. Ive must have asked him a hundred dumb questions already
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

There's a great bus community out there on Long Island, so you're in good company. Manny's the Man!

Central Jersey VW Society
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

That aero papyrus interior is my favorite, do you have the original floor mats and are they the same color? Lucky to have Manny close by to help out; the 6 volt -12 volt- what starter did they use? game trips people up all of the time. If you don't know what to look for, and have a pile of spares sitting around you can really be SOL. FWIW, the 6 volt starter runs well on 12, and there is a transitional year flywheel that has a 6 volt ring gear and uses the later 200mm disc. I keep a few extras just for doing conversions.
Will you make it to any of the east coast shows this year?
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Cool bus.Sea blue/cumulus white dlx are my favorite. Nice to have some good local help.
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

esde wrote:
That aero papyrus interior is my favorite, do you have the original floor mats and are they the same color? Lucky to have Manny close by to help out; the 6 volt -12 volt- what starter did they use? game trips people up all of the time. If you don't know what to look for, and have a pile of spares sitting around you can really be SOL. FWIW, the 6 volt starter runs well on 12, and there is a transitional year flywheel that has a 6 volt ring gear and uses the later 200mm disc. I keep a few extras just for doing conversions.
Will you make it to any of the east coast shows this year?

The front mat is blue and the rear is black.

Went with a 12 volt auto stick starter. Luckily Manny had a spare 12volt flywheel so we were able to grind a little of the tranny out at a time and match it up to the spare flywheel.

Yes, will be at Dubs in the Shrubs next week. 50/50 on the bus making the trip.Still a small wiring issue to be sorted out
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Hey, cool to see this bus made it into good hands. I helped retrieve this bus, and raised it back up to stock height. I also wiped it down to the OG paint too, i liked it with the patina, but still a nice bus, congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Hey, cool to see this bus made it into good hands. I helped retrieve this bus, and raised it back up to stock height. I also wiped it down to the OG paint too, i liked it with the patina, but still a nice bus, congrats!

Awesome. Any chance you have photos of when you retrieved it or worked on it?
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Wiring is has been sloved. The battery wasn't charging turns out the lights on the speedo were out and the cause of the headache.

Took the bus out for about a 15 mile test drive and no issues.

Visited the 108 to trade parts and spotted this cool sticker

consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Here she is at my shop after i stripped it down to the OG paint, being raised back up to stock height.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

awesome I didn't know there was a thread going on this bus already, I'm glad Steve is having a good time with bus now, going in to see his bus after Steve contacted me , I kinda knew it was the 6 to 12 flywheel, once I looked it was confirmed, but the second thing that jumped at me was the fact that all 3 tranny mounts and coupler were bad on that bus, and as it turned out I had everything he needed in the ice box of my bus, I had bought all those parts for my dc and never got around to doing the job, so we went to town right away.
Once that was done, we worked on adjusting the clutch cable which was a PITA to adjust, that wing nut was literally frozen in place, it took almost 2 hours to finally get it to turn, but we won that battle, and like Steve said, a small issue with the charging system
I'm glad I was able to help Steve get his bus running, It's a very nice clean bus , very solid underneath.
here's some pictures from my prospective,
I used the old house jack to change the front tranny mount, and once again that old trick never fails

every time we thought it was ready, we needed to shave more, but we eventually got there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

you are a good man Manny
Split Decision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

I haven't seen the trick with the front tranny mount. I've tried to get mine free and it's been a complete pita.

On year seven of the "I'll get it done next week" engine rebuild.

74superTN wrote:
Just seems these days that unless you are dragging your engine on the ground and have crazy negative camber, people seem like you're doing it all wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Split Decision wrote:
I haven't seen the trick with the front tranny mount. I've tried to get mine free and it's been a complete pita.

take the two 27 bolts off and all 4 nuts off the front tranny mount and crank that jack from the back part of the tires, a little bit lower than where the picture shows it right below the bell housing, by doing so you will create some toe in and the whole tranny will pull back and give you all the room you need to take that tranny mount out , you can do it with the motor on too, just remove the tin closer to the apron and apron and of you go.
The jack itself is a two part unit. one tube slides into the other, use the smaller of the two tubes and cut about 4 to 5 inches off of it to make it fit between the tires. You canget it from Home Depot for about $50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Drove the bus to Dubs in the Shrubs on the 16-17. ran great and had no issue. Was about 200 miles round trip

nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

A couple questions

1) Last night I noticed a small odor of gas. I jumped under the bus and tightened the nut a tiny bit.

I wiped down the bottom of the gas tank a little bit and it looks the same now. When I got home from work this morning I noticed a large odor of gas the moment I stepped out of my car.

All the fuels lines are brand new and the fuel tank was recently cleaned out. What else should I be checking? Could it have anything to do with just filling the gas tank yesterday afternoon?

2)

should I be putting a cap on the outside of that valve cover?

3)
With my new engine I no longer have heater boxes. So I removed the heating box elbow just leaving the large pipes for the heating system. Should I be capping the exposed end of the pipe or just let it be?

thanks for the help
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Thats a gorgeous Bus, that white on top of blue is my favorite color scheme too.

Please don't park it on the street.

Smile

and.....its a WESTIE!!
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Thats a gorgeous Bus, that white on top of blue is my favorite color scheme too.

Smile

and.....its a WESTIE!!

thanks and its garaged 99% of the time when not in use
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

nyr208 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Smile

and.....its a WESTIE!!

thanks and its garaged 99% of the time when not in use

If you have a full tank the fuel will slop around or if it has been hot and you have a full tank it will Ooze out of the filler or if you park on a down angle on the tank side.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Sea Blue 13 window - Long Island, NY Reply with quote

thanks should i get a vented cap? the bus is currently on a decent slop going down towards the fuel tank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: