Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need an extra inch for garage
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I need to lower my bus by an inch to get the bus into the garage. I currently have the standard 14 inch wheels and tyres and I'm thinking if I put on a lower profile tyre that should fix my issue. Any ideas on what size tyre i'll need to drop the tyre by 1 inch?
Steve
nezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: need an extra inch Reply with quote

there's another solution, bu this one brings work every time you want to drive the bus

deflate your tires enough to enter garage and inflate after taking bus of garage
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: need an extra inch Reply with quote

is it the opening of the garage, or the door that you need to clear? if the door, that can be adjusted. I would try to modify my door opening before putting tiny tires on my bus.
JeBusSaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: need an extra inch Reply with quote

Don't we all..... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: need an extra inch Reply with quote

do you have a roof rack on the bus?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: need an extra inch Reply with quote

JeBusSaves wrote:

I almost said it too...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: need an extra inch Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
JeBusSaves wrote:

I almost said it too...

I, for one, do not have the problem you speak of. Very Happy

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: need an extra inch Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I got sick of the antenna on my new bus clinking up against the old door.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

Almost didn't buy our current home because I wanted a garage and my bus wouldn't fit. I decided garaging the bus wasn't worth passing on a sweet house. I made the right decision.

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

I just remodeled the house. The wife wanted perfectly good white siding swapped for green so I weaseled some 8' doors to replace the 7' doors we bought the place with.

I figured while we're doing needless upgrades I might as well get to not let air out of my tires to put the bus away.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

I am in the process of scrapping the automatic roll-up door for classic barn-doors that I just finished buiding. It is gonna buy me like a foot in length and two feet of clearance inside the garage where the bus would barely have been squeezing by all the motor/light apparatus hanging from the ceiling, forget jacking it up. Should have plenty of room when it is done.
My vote is to try and remodel the garage door, or even, if easier, dredge out the garage floor. Smaller wheels/tires come with their own issues....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I can't modify the door or the floor. Yes I have a Rack which is a pain to put on and off so that's not an option. Just need the tyre size to drop an inch..
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

well then, what tire are you running now? and if you do this, it may just be a city driving bus, As the motor will have to work harder to spin these tiny things fast enough to hit highway speeds, amiright?
-Edit also, what about using drop spindle to lower the bus?(in the front. You would adjust the thingamajig in the rears by dropping a couple teeth/spindle/whatever. tortion bar? )
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

stevo96 wrote:
Cheers guys, I can't modify the door or the floor. Yes I have a Rack which is a pain to put on and off so that's not an option. Just need the tyre size to drop an inch..

Theres no way I would take advice over the inter webs over simply measuring my tire, mounting a proposed tire on my rim, and then measuring that.

Just for giggles I looked up tire diamater variance for new tires and it is about 1/2 inch - ergo you probably need to measure your actual new tires to fit, not just assume all 14 inch rubber is equal.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

I think you need to decide which you want more; a roof rack or to park your bus in the garage? If you are currently running the proper rated tires for a bus you will be hurting the performance/ride of the bus buy going with a smaller P rated tire. A P rated tire is rated for a passanger car not a VW bus, which requires a D rated tire. Now, if you currently have P rated tries, you'll probably never notice a difference...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

wait until something is in that roof rack and you forget when you pull in thinking you have clearance.
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

If you go online you can find a tire size calculator. You input your tire size and it will tell you how tall it is and you put in the tire size you want and it tells you the difference between the new tire and your original Tire. Very simple. There are a lot og OG GUYS who live for Busses. They are right 6 ply tires are great just in case but there are many more who have lower profile tires. I had rubber band formosa tires once...not Doing that again I think they were 22 inches tall on the front. I now have 185 65 15 at 24.4 inches tall. Please don't dig out your floor...Lol Many have posted there garage solutions and I am impressed with 8 foot doors while getting new siding as well as the barn doors. I have left stuff in my rack it wasn't good opps:(
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
wait until something is in that roof rack and you forget when you pull in thinking you have clearance.

Been there done that Shocked
Once forgot I had the kayaks up there and tried to pull into garage Embarassed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need an extra inch for garage Reply with quote

Things you use, rely on or significantly appreciate every time you use your bus:
1) the proper tire size (whether you know it or not)
2) the garage

Things that bring you occasional use or moderate pleasure:
1) the rack

Suggestions / options:
1) take off the rack, temporarily install when really needed.

Benefits:
1) bus will handle & drive normal.
2) rack will stay in better condition (if stored inside, ceiling?)
3) engine may last longer
4) you get to park in the garage.

Small tires will wind your engine out at highway speed & look funny.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: