Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To death valley and back...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

So last week I took the longest trip I've ever taken with my bus. 1000 mile round trip to death valley in California. I must say my bus did better than expected.

On the way there I went this way:
https://goo.gl/maps/tUtYDF6PNcM2

I averaged 70mph with oil temps around 230 up until I reached Tehachapi pass where I still managed to never fall below 50mph and oil temp @240. All was good until I got to 190 (around pinto peak). It was a steep incline and my speed dropped to 30-45mph and my oil temp went to a max of 265. I stopped at the peak to let the bus cool down a little, my friend took this pic as I was coming up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was a 10 hour drive and my ass hurt (I need to re pad the seat) but the bus did good. I checked the oil and I discovered that I had a bigger leak then I normally do. I had lost about a half a quart of oil and underneath the engine was an oil spot about the size of a CD, normally during normal driving I see about a nickel sized spot.

The drive on the way back was a little easier with the hardest part being the trip back over 190. However my speeds never dropped below 40mph and my oil temp never went above 240.

When I made it home I checked the oil again and again I had lost about a half a quart.

So I'm happy that my bus made the trip to and back but now I'm concerned about the engine itself. I don't want to drive the bus again until I diagnose the problem.

So...

What are my first steps? What concerns should I have? Should I do my normal driving with it and see if the leak appears again?

Here are some pics, although I'm not sure how helpful they will be. The bottom of my engine has never looked great but it is more oily than normal.

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

That is one long,pronounced skid mark on the drive way-
Not wanting to encourage anything crazy, but it would seem
that the center nut, the do not torque past 9 foot pounds nut,
needs to be loosened & a screen gasket kit installed, you do it
at oil change time for obvious reason, all your oil needs to be
drained to drop/reseal that sump plate.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
That is one long,pronounced skid mark on the drive way-
Not wanting to encourage anything crazy, but it would seem
that the center nut, the do not torque past 9 foot pounds nut,
needs to be loosened & a screen gasket kit installed, you do it
at oil change time for obvious reason, all your oil needs to be
drained to drop/reseal that sump plate.

Well that would definitely be the easiest fix one could hope for. My concern is that there appears to be oil coming from the oil cooler and oil filter area. Those areas seem to have fresher looking oil as well. The oil stain is also after a couple of days because when I got home it was raining and I didn't get any pics to a few days later.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

the air flow under the case does make diagnosing difficult, some others
will come along & mention checking the oil pressure switch up above
the filter, I do see some oil up high at the big slotted screw for one
of the oil relief/bypass plungers, if you're lucky it's the oil pressure
switch failing, or simply loose.
blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

check carefully you op switch and the dipstick bellows,then mbee you oil cooler seals
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

What weight oil are you running? From your temps I would guess a 20w50. If I was seeing 265°F oil temps I would be wanting to run a synthetic oil.

Clean your engine well so you can better determine where the oil is first showing up. Then run the engine at a high idle to see where the oil first appears. Maybe drive up onto some blocks or ramps to make it easier to move around underneath.

Removing the tins from below the pushrod tubes might help in determining where the oil is coming from.

As other said the oil pressure switch is a likely suspect for at least some of the oily mess you are seeing.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Looks like you had a pretty solid run in your bus! I-5 on the west side can be hairy with interstate trucking and the normal strong gusts of wind. If you maintained those speeds over through Tehachapi, then I'd say you've got some real decent compression. Cool I skimmed through a lot of your threads, and based on your variety of topics, I bet your bus is in pretty great condition.

How was the desert? We finally had a great winter, so I would think the desert was looking great right now.

When I had an oil leak on my 1977 GD engine, it turned out to be the oil cooler. It had symptoms similar to yours, but we all know it could be coming from many places. I was able to remove my cooler and test it:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

OP - get out the pressure washer and get all the oil off the bottom of the engine, and as much up top as you can, from underneath.

Then start tracking the oil. windage will spray oil all over - i don't like that you have oil near the FMS as thats an engine out to fix, but that does look suspicious like point of origin. That would fit usage, too.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I don't like that you have oil near the FMS as thats an engine out to fix, but that does look suspicious like point of origin. That would fit usage, too.

FMS = Front Main Seal?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun trip, thanks for sharing.

Sorry about your oil leak but at least you made it home...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Abscate wrote:
I don't like that you have oil near the FMS as thats an engine out to fix, but that does look suspicious like point of origin. That would fit usage, too.

FMS = Front Main Seal?

Correct. My apologies for the AWOD. Acronym with out definition
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

My parents made a similar trip from Los Angeles to Death Valley in their 1955 (1956?) bug, before I was born in 1957. They went up past Searles Lake to the Panamint Springs turn-off, then went east to Death Valley.

Along the way, while going up the grade eastward from the Panamint Springs turn-off, they took the following photo on the old highway alignment:

May 2015, my wife and I drove to a nearby location on the new highway alignment and I hiked down to get a piece of the original asphalt. The following is what the same location looked like at that time and the subsequent is a map showing location of the bug:

BTW, hard to beat the early-morning desert environment....

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I'll clean the mess I have now and run the engine again and report back my findings.

The wind definitely made driving a challenge but thanks to my new tires and shocks it was entirely manageable.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

The only thing I have to add is to suggest looking into these to better keep the cooling air actually inside. Replace the spark plug boots with them. Use the 5th one at the oil pressure switch. Tie rod boots for $10.

http://www.coolcruisers.com/tierodbootfj.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Just in case it makes a difference, I use synthetic 15-50 mobile 1 oil.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

If your engine is tight then maybe go to the Mobile 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Oil (or some other 5w40 synthetic oil) on your next oil change. This will not stop your leak, but may bring your oil temperatures down 10-20°F.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

If your engine is tight then maybe go to the Mobile 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Oil (or some other 5w40 synthetic oil) on your next oil change. This will not stop your leak, but may bring your oil temperatures down 10-20°F.

Good to know thanks! I've never been sure about what my oil temps should be so my only gauge has been what it is after my normal commute which is usually around 220. 5-40 synthetic is easy to come by for me so I'll run that from now on.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Do you have this thing timed to about 28º BTDC at around 3500 with the vacuum hoses off?

Sometimes retarded timing will raise the oil temps.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Im going to back off my paranoia about Front main seal (FMS) and point to the oil cooler or sender as culprit. I hope thats the case. Do good karmic work.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Im going to back off my paranoia about Front main seal (FMS) and point to the oil cooler or sender as culprit. I hope thats the case. Do good karmic work.

Doesn't the oil cooler require pulling the engine?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: