Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To death valley and back...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

I didn't know that. It's amazing what these primitive electronics can do!

asiab3 wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
... The question is did I run it in the optimum gear and speed? I don't know. I do know that my peddle was never all the way to the floor. At a 9% grade what would everyone be running their bus in? For me it seemed like 3rd gear @40mph was the sweet spot.

3rd @ 40 sounds fine. 3rd @ 50 sounds fine too. Please feel free to enlist the help of your full throttle enrichment function on your Volkswagen bus equipped with Bosch L-Jettronic Fuel Injection. Very Happy Seriously! The throttle body has a switch activated at full throttle that triggers the ECU to dump extra fuel in for maximum power and cooler running. If you have access to an O2 sensor, you can check for its functionality by comparing readings at mid-throttle loaded, and then with pedal properly planted in the carpet. If you don't have a buddy at a smog shop who will sniff you on his lunch break, check the Bosch L-Jet shop manual for the pinout of the switch and check for continuity on the ECU plug.) In other words, if you're at 80% throttle because you're afraid of hurting the engine, you're likely asking more of the engine than if you were to floor it and keep it rich and happy. Enjoy your 8mpg for a few miles while the engine thanks you for continued longevity and cooling. Cool

ivwshane wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
So you drove 70mph for hours and now you're wondering why something went wrong with the engine? And that was an average so between 65-75?

Should a good working type iv engine not be able to handle driving 70mph on a flat highway?

I would be worried if your engine could not handle 70mph on continuous flat ground. Just ask Stuart!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
we all know to let our junk hang free when eating our dessert in the desert. :l

Hey someone got it Wink I personally like my dessert without chonies. Some people are into that though Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

I've been digging into the particulars of my AFM and ECU all week, and it's absolutely awesome what Bosch was able to do on a commercial scale in the late sixties and early seventies with analog electronics at an affordable and reliable level. But seriously, check for your full-throttle enrichment. I used it to blow past a Prius just minutes ago.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

I've been digging into the particulars of my AFM and ECU all week, and it's absolutely awesome what Bosch was able to do on a commercial scale in the late sixties and early seventies with analog electronics at an affordable and reliable level. But seriously, check for your full-throttle enrichment. I used it to blow past a Prius just minutes ago.

Robbie

I think that's like dunking on a midget....
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Ok, I did some cleaning today and the results are preliminary.

I've uploaded pictures of the engine after I degreased it just so I have a reference. I don't know how to post a link to just my pictures or just this set so you'll have to click on my profile.

I decided to let the bus idle for a little bit just to see if there were any obvious leaks. After about five minutes I found a good sized (about an inch and a half) puddle underneath:(

The first leak (and there may be more but I'll have to wait till my next day off to chase it) is here.

How bad is this? Is this a don't drive the bus till it's fixed problem or a keep an eye on your oil levels kind of problem? How hard is this to fix?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Looks like you'll be splitting the engine from the transmission to replace the main seal behind the flywheel. This means the engine or both the engine and transmission need to come out.

As far as how bad? I'm sure others drive there VW with it leaking that much and just keep topping it off. I'd fix it ASAP if it were mine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

If it started spewing that much after 5 minutes I'd say no driving until it's fixed, if it's a gallery plug departing it could suddenly dump all your oil in under a minute, imagine how that would end at freeway speeds. At best it's a flywheel seal, but you'll never know without dropping the engine for a look.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Mother'fer!!!!!!!

Unfortunately this is probably beyond my skill level:(
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Mother'fer!!!!!!!

Time for me to sound like a prick.

Its not that hard, and if you want all the cool things that come with a bus - then you need to learn how to maintain it. Good karma - you get out what you put in.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
Mother'fer!!!!!!!

Its not that hard, and if you want all the cool things that come with a bus - then you need to learn how to maintain it. Good karma - you get out what you put in.

Quite the contrary, not prick-like at all,
it's a rear main seal, or a welch plug, or a little of both.

Now you know why we enjoy & respect Colin's D.valley runs & temp gun work.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
Mother'fer!!!!!!!

I'm sure it's "not that hard" but I've learned that that usually means it's not hard so long as you have the right tools and the right parts and space. I most likely do not have the tools and what I really don't have is a lot of space.

So who has a good guide for what I'll need to do? What else should I address when the trans and engine are out that are likely not to be f'ed up by a noob?

If my engine was rebuilt (no I don't know exactly what that means other than it was to fix low compression on #3) about four years ago are the seals normally touched? Exactly what would cause this? I can't imagine my driving would when it appears that I drive like everyone else here.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

If the engine was "rebuilt" 4 years ago the odds point towards the gallery plugs (assuming they changed the main seal, who wouldn't), some rebuilders cut corners and leave them alone even though 40 years of hot/cold/pressure/etc can loosen them, they are just pressed in.

www.Ratwell.com is going to be your favorite site soon, it's got detailed instructions on dropping engines with lots of photos.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Laughing @ 70mph...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Would it be a good time to add these?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Type-4-Engine-Oil-Galley-Gallery-Plug-Kit-p/galleyplugst4.htm
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Front main seal. But, as the guys say, you drop the engine and assess

You have to do this fairly soon or the oil will also ruin your clutch, so, no driving.

Heat soaking at top of the hill...more made up internet stuff...groan...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Would it be a good time to add these?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Type-4-Engine-Oil-Galley-Gallery-Plug-Kit-p/galleyplugst4.htm

It would, but a job like that on an assembled motor falls into the "advanced" category, if you are concerned about an engine drop you may need professional help with those.

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

Pull engine, pull flywheel.

Replace obviously leaking front main seal (FMS)

Ignore the galley plugs unless leaking. You can cut out the FMS with Occams razor.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

If you are physically able to slide yourself under your bus and do wrenching above your head, then you are able to do the work of pulling the engine and \ or transmission. If you are able to make repairs to a lawnmower or bicycle using basic hand tools and acurately and patiently following a service manual, then you are likely able to competantly do the work discussed.

You will not need specialized tooling for this job unless you are going to remove and tap the plugs for threaded plugs. All the tools you need are available at Sears. At the very minimum, you will need a floor jack, jack stands and a variety of small hand tools and a flat driveway.

The last Type 4 motor I had on the bench did not get the plugs changed out, but I swaged around each one with a center punch. This is basically putting several small divots around the seam of the plug which creates a crimp in the seam. The crimp binds the plug so it won't readily pop out. The trick is to do it evenly, not too deep and use care when striking. This is not as good and refined as installing threaded plugs, but done correctly, it is better than ignoring them.

Once the engine is pulled, you will likely see a number of issues you should address. This would be a GREAT time to completely renovate your fuel system, top to bottom.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
I stopped at the peak to let the bus cool down a little

Why why WHY do people think this is a good idea?, it's just worked up some serious heat, without cooling air flow (and lots of it) that heat now soaks into all sorts of places in the engine that don't like to get that hot, that cooks your oil onto the engine internals like a coat of paint and petrifies seals and other rubber/plastic components.
your bus is the same and is really looking forward to that flat cruising or downhill run after a long hot climb,

Actually, busdaddy, it is worse than that . . . our engines don't care about any of our efforts.

I have a new appreciation of the under cylinder tins and thermostat even, for the downhill cool-off. These engines cool off too rapidly. Without those critical air blockers, you can get cracks between the exhaust (900*) and intake (98* due to the latent heat of evaporation) seats.

There is nothing we can do to help these engines except set them up correctly, tune them correctly and keep driving.

Colin
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: To death valley and back... Reply with quote

I saw a bug on the side of the road several years ago with the engine compartment lid open so I stopped to offer help. The guy was down right snotty that I thought he might need help as he had only pulled over like any knowledgeable VW owner should do to let his engine cool. I just shook my head and continued on my way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: