Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you consider a "COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURING" filter for the classifieds useful?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 47 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 66

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

I feel like this was good in the split forum as the only people that have a reason to have an opinion are there. Better feedback maybe?

No biggie. Either way a lot of good comments so far on both sides.

For what it's worth: I respect the brasilian folks... I just don't want to see them. The same reason that most of us aren't here for radiators.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ouch!, you sure told me.

LOL i didn't, you started it; i just responded to what you said about people being uninformed, and not caring about the originality of buses anymore.

I totally get what you are saying about the current trend on the market, and if you read my first post you'll see that one of the first things i said was exactly that: Brazilians are popping way more often because there is an increasing market for them, but that doesn't mean we are all now automatically drawn towards them.

Please keep in mind that my whole point with this thread was to know if i was the only one seeing an opportunity of improvement on the search results...

THAT.
WAS.
IT.

First thing i said was "i have nothing against Brazilian buses", precisely to avoid this thread to become a "German vs. Brazilian" one.

I'll say it once again:
I'm just not interested in Brazilian buses. The same way I'm not interested in sunroof buses... and for some reason that hasn't been offensive to anyone.

I don't have to personally like all type of buses. I don't care about them being posted on TheSamba, all i want is to get them out of my PERSONAL SEARCH RESULTS.

I believe that expressing that i have no interest in Brazilian buses doesn't make me a BUSIST (LOL).

To respond to your question: No, I'm not like that.

But i believe it is not necessary that i have to browse through a ton of Brazilian buses when in fact I'm looking for the German ones. I don't understand why this simple thing offends so many of you (bay/brazilian owners).

I wish i could also filter the shorties, the sunroofs, etc.... I know Everett's solution will help.

So far ive been called a racist, a snob, an ignorant... other guy even told me "look, I've donated and i have a star, and you don't"...

You guys are so weird sometimes Smile

... And all just because i said wish i could make MY search results more effective FOR ME.

A guy who currently owns over 20 buses, and also checks the classifieds on a daily basis should get that.

Last edited by VirtuallyReal on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:40 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
I feel like this was good in the split forum as the only people that have a reason to have an opinion are there. Better feedback maybe?

No biggie. Either way a lot of good comments so far on both sides.

For what it's worth: I respect the brasilian folks... I just don't want to see them. The same reason that most of us aren't here for radiators.

Exactly.

Maybe I should have specified that the poll was not for Brazilian or bay owners, as those OBVIOUSLY will have no problem with the mixed results, as they are mostly more "open minded" than us in terms of their "air-cooled orientation"...

I bet most of the people that voted "No" are guys who have "special interests" on either the baywindow or Brazilian bus realm... Or both. People who has invested money on those buses, and would benefit from the "all buses are the same, as long as they are shinny" mentality... Therefore, any comment on differentiation is taken as a "threat" to their investment.

Last edited by VirtuallyReal on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

I am been trolling way a lot on this site indeed.

Another trivia for the idiots out there like me

-German VW's paint from 68' to until 72' was complete and utter SHIT compared to BR VW through that period and here is why.

The Brazillian Plant had a serious fire at the recently inaugurated paint shop in 1970 (took them 5 years to complete the installation) which completely wrecked the facility with people killed included (90,000m2 of shopfloor lost, 41 million USD equiv today).
However the VW Wolfsburg Plant had procured from DURR a complete new modern paint line to replace the old German facility (which was out of compliance, expensive to run and outdated) 2 years earlier.

Due to the fact they lost the brand new facility in Brazil and putting that back online would take over a year or more to procure another system (simply put the whole production would stop), Norhoff and others decided to ship to Brazil the DURR package already been fabricated originally intended for the German plant, so they could put the BR plant back online asap. So they did. Until that became operational they actually counted on assistance from Karmann, Ford, Willys, Mercedes Benz who also had manufacturing lines nearby the Anchieta plant. These plants actually sprayed VW cars for a a few months until they could re-erect the facilities in house.

What happen then Brazil had a state of the art E-coat pre treatment and the whole line years earlier than Germany did. Specially when the T2 changed to bays in 68', VW was having serious issues in the surface protection and coatings, re tooling, prep, different welding and assembly methods from the split (hence the decision to modernize the line).

I am writing this to share these stories with people like Everett and the other idiot trolls like myself.

Nordhoff was a character on its on, the T2 only lasted that long because he was the real hipster (not a guitar hero), and he firmly believe the simplicity of the design would last forever. Only after he got pushed away from the control of VW that things started to change (from aircooling to Watercooling), more car models, more frequent re styling etc.
I personally think he was a idiot (my own reasons) too despite been part of the creation of the T2.

I put some photos from the fire in my album here at the samba for the trolls to see and a link to a few details about this story (in portuguese)
http://zonaderisco.blogspot.com.au/2008/08/memria-mega-incndio-na-volkswagen.html

I am very boring at parties indeed...don't get me wrong but you were in diapers when I used to make guitars and tube amplifiers from scratch while in university for some extra cash. I had a few of my own products on stage in concert played by professional musicians very rewarding but I moved on to greater things.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Enough of trolling for this year. I will come back in 2017 to post anything.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Thanks for the information novetti - I was not aware of that and it's interesting.

I don't know if you have posted that elsewhere in the past but that would be interesting as it's own thread in "General"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ouch!, you sure told me.

mark, he's from florida...must be tired of all things "fake"

and, I agree...most folks want a garage trophy...don't care how/why/where it came from.

I am willing to bet there are only a very small handful of guys here willing to spend big money on these old junks anyway. in the grand scheme of things, there are more of "us" that just want a bus vs "them" that want a "real" bus.

so, I guess sending in 50K to the samba coffers won't buy me 48 hours of control? Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
so, I guess sending in 50K to the samba coffers won't buy me 48 hours of control? Very Happy

Send it and find out. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thanks for the information novetti - I was not aware of that and it's interesting.

I don't know if you have posted that elsewhere in the past but that would be interesting as it's own thread in "General"

No Everett, I never posted this here. I will create a new thread in general moving this story for others to follow over there.

I never read such terms as ''Protecting their investment'' written in the same phrase containing words like VW or Kombi bus. Weird times...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Send it and find out. Very Happy

look for the email from a Nigerian Prince Laughing you accept bitcoins, right?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
One thing I might be able to do is allow you to perform a search and turn on minus(-) searches to exclude things.
So you could do -Brazilian to exclude any ad with Brazilian or Brazil or whatever you would like in the title.
Of course this requires you to do a search rather than just be browsing but that is true for a checkbox as well.

I tried this today and forgot that you can't do a search where you only exclude things with the minus (-) character.
This only works if you were doing something like
Kombi -Brazil*
so you could get all Kombis but exclude all ads with Brazil* in the title
-Brazil* only cannot be used.

Of course this assumes that the person placing the ad uses Brazil or Brazilian in the title, which is not always true.
The same goes for a checkbox, it requires the person to check the box.

Or me to fix ads as I see them, which I try to do but undoubtedly miss some from time to time
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I tried this today and forgot that you can't do a search where you only exclude things with the minus (-) character.
Kombi -Brazil*

Of course this assumes that the person placing the ad uses Brazil or Brazilian in the title, which is not always true.

Or me to fix ads as I see them, which I try to do but undoubtedly miss some from time to time

Thanks Everett, that will do Smile

As always, i appreciate your atention to this request. I'm sure a lot of users will find it useful.

Don't worry about fixing ads, i believe it is not necessary... Seeing a couple of Brazilians from time to time is not a problem, it is only an inconvenience if there's a ton of them in the results.

Thanks to everyone who shared their opinions. The purpose of this thread has been achieved.

Although unrelated to the topic, i also found the story and pics shared by novetti very interesting; that's what this community is all about; again thanks to all.
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

VirtuallyReal wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Kombi -Brazil*

Thanks Everett, that will do Smile

As always, i appreciate your atention to this request. I'm sure a lot of users will find it useful.

Don't worry about fixing ads, i believe it is not necessary... Seeing a couple of Brazilians from time to time is not a problem, it is only an inconvenience if there's a ton of them in the results.

Thanks to everyone who shared their opinions. The purpose of this thread has been achieved.

For my own information:
What are you searching on in the classifieds where you want to exclude Brazilian Buses?

Myself, I rarely search the Bus Vehicles section in a manner that would necessitate an exclusion, I usually just browse what is new or sometimes search on 15-window or 23-window
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

For my own information:
What are you searching on in the classifieds where you want to exclude Brazilian Buses?

Myself, I rarely search the Bus Vehicles section in a manner that would necessitate an exclusion, I usually just browse what is new or sometimes search on 15-window or 23-window

If you have access (i assume you do) you can check out my favorite searches; i have several search criterias, mostly by region and/or price range.

With the (-) minus feature, i will be able to exclude certain features and/or models from the results. I believe that can be beneficial for most users in general, both for vehicles and parts searches, as they will be able to make the results more precise.

Again, thanks!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses Reply with quote

and -brazil*

(Search title and description)

seems to do the trick.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
and -brazil*

(Search title and description)

seems to do the trick.

That searches for the word And too, which may not be what you want.

The word and does appear in tons of ads though but not all of them

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I did search and Buses with Brazil in the title are currently 15% of the Split bus ads.

This is an increase.

There are Brazilian Buses in other sections too - Bay Window, for example.
There are less of those vehicles.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses Reply with quote

Clara pointed out you could do a search by year and search only to 1967 and get German Buses.

This is basically true and may be the best way to exclude Brazilian Buses at this time.

There will be a few "Brazil" Buses that are marked as pre-1967.
They may be from Brazil but may or may not be actual Brazilian-made Buses.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Clara pointed out you could do a search by year and search only to 1967 and get German Buses.

This is basically true and may be the best way to exclude Brazilian Buses at this time.

The first VW from the new factory in Sao Paulo in 1957 was a 15 window.

My '63...POS Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
EverettB wrote:

The first VW from the new factory in Sao Paulo in 1957 was a 15 window.

My '63...POS Wink

Yes.

To clarify that, I mean that I have seen a few Buses listed as 1962s or whatever but they are Brazilian-made Buses and do not have German features.
These one are minimal though so weeding through a few of those would not be an issue.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses Reply with quote

Added this link today to the Split Bus classifieds section:

See the first post in this thread for overall details on searching, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: