Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Blinker Question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

This weekend I made the switch to LED's for blinkers and brake lights after switching up the headlights to LED. The difference is quite drastic.

My problem, like most other's that have made the switch, is hyper-blinking because of the low draw of the LEDs. Common solutions to the problem are LED load resistors wired in at each blinker assembly or a blinker relay MOD.

If I go the load resistor route, I do not have a power and ground wire to tap into to run the resistor parallel. What do I do with the negative side since the blinkers use the body as ground? Do I just body ground the other side of the resistor?

I don't think that a different blinker relay is an option because of the fact that a 66 square uses the messy old 7 pin flasher / emergency light relay. Can I steel the wires from this box and use a LED specific three prong flasher relay?

I would prefer to put the LED flasher relay in somehow, but wiring is not my strong point, and I do not know how to make it work. Anyone with experience in wiring, LED solutions or both care to step in and help?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-...ifications

http://kwikwire.com/switches/led-lighted/led-load-...oCfRLw_wcB
My Old 70 Squareback
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

Maybe Mr. Duncan from texasaircooled.com can answer this. I also just bought the full headlight kit and brake, blinker LEDs so curious about install procedure...
1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

This morning I woke up and decided to tinker with it. I went to the car and the blinker relay is ticking uncontrollably without the indicator stock being in either position. It is also making my fuel gage spastic and has taken away my oil and generator lights. They are dark.

This is all only 7 hours after working fine with the exception of the blinkers flashing way to fast when the stock was switched to left or right blinker. Nothing changed......well, I changed nothing. Something obviously changed.

Have I lost something elsewhere and it just now manifest itself with the light change? I checked ground wires and such. Weird that it went from working fine to not working at all with no help from me. Crying or Very sad
My Old 70 Squareback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

There is a 'no load ' flasher available from Ron Francis wiring. I think that there may be others as well. Check all of your ground connections, I think the flasher maybe triggering the rest of your system.
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
There is a 'no load ' flasher available from Ron Francis wiring.

I appreciate the input. There are plenty of no-load flasher relays out there, but I lack the knowledge of how to either

a) add a LED flasher relay to the current system to calm down the hyper-active blinkers I.E. Do I splice a wire and add this relay to the current system? or

b) Use wiring from the current system and bypass the 7 prong blinker relay, letting the new relay do the blinking independent of the current system?

That is where my confusion is.
My Old 70 Squareback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

Either way would work. The simple would be a 7 pin replacement part. Then in the event you need to replace, it would be unplug and replace.
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

LED flasher relay.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/led%20flasher%20relay/
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
LED flasher relay.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/led%20flasher%20relay/

Thanks. That's a lot like what I linked in the original post. Now, how do I wire it?
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Blinker Question Reply with quote

For future reference, all you have to do is splice the load resistor into the hot wire and body ground the other end. The resistance it adds slows the blinker. If you want it stock blinking rate, you will have to add a resistor to all 4 blinker housings.

This first video is with the running lights on and the flashers going. The flashers always blinked at the stock rate, even without the resistors.

Link

This second video is the drivers side blinkers without the running lights. They are faster than stock, but they work for me. If I want to show them down I'll add another resistor to each side.

Link

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the erratic blinker behavior that came out of the blue this morning was caused by a random wire breaking under the dash. It had nothing to do with the LEDs. Just bad luck and bad timing.
My Old 70 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: