Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Yes.....lack of regular maintenance. Ray

This is, clear and simple.

So many of our old VW's were only viewed as a cheap, entry level car and a means from getting from point A to point B. Preventative maintenance was not a priority or even a consideration. If the VW was lucky, it got regular oil changes, valve adjustments and an occasional front beam greasing. That is usually all they got.

Fast forward 50 years and many of the parts that were lubricated when new haven't been re lubricated since. Steering gears, pedal assemblies, bowden tubes, clutch and accelerator cables, clutch hooks, emergency brake pivot pins, rear wheel bearings, gear shifter balls and linkage, CV joints and distributors are the big ones off the top of my head.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

This is something we lost when "service stations" became just "gas stations." The service bays were turned into store shelf space.

When you brought your car for an oil change, they did more than just the oil. It was called a "lubrication service" and they took care of things like greasing the suspension, door hinges, and even the ignition (points grease and a drop of oil on the felt wick).

That skill-set, and the mind-set, are now long gone. It's up to us to make up our checklist of all these little details that make the car last.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

Part of the reason gas stations turned their grease racks and service bays into shelves for moon pies and slim jims is that they just weren't needed any more. Practically all cars built in the last 30 or so years don't require the simple maintenance that our antique economy cars needed.

Cars don't have a distributor any more, spark plugs go 100,000 miles, V-belts are mostly obsolete, and modern cars tend to not use oil like our old relics do. Practically maintenance free. You are more likely to find a barista than a mechanic in today's "service" stations.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

A very big part of this...lack of maintenance....and this part causes me to bitch all the time.....can be laid squarely at the feet of the average ACVW owner.

I do not have to describe to you do I?.....how many discussions here about oil changes, valve adjusting, air filter cleaning or exactness in tuning, cleaning at intervals or re-greasing assemblies ranging from locks, to wiper motor gearboxes or distributors....has regressed into a whole slew of owners....stating, quoting, linking to etc.....the common belief and statements that these are simple, tough vehicles that can survive in any environment with the least maintenance and just keep on ticking....like this

"never bothered to do that BS...and my shit has run for 300 years...you guys get to wrapped up. Just drive it 'til it breaks and rebuild it!".... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing ...right?

Even John Muir...who stated something similar...eventually got around to stating (paraphrasing here) that you can you can get away with NOT doing an awful lot to an air cooled VW...but eventually you have to do it right..even if that means replacing parts you let die without maintenance.

And that last part is what you have nearly 50 years of.....owners of these cars KNOWING they could do virtually nothing and the car would ...run...and get you from point A to B....virtually every time...even if you did nothing.

Too many people who used these cars as basic 2nd hand, beater transport did not care if it ran right or sometimes even well....as long as it ran.

The triple threat with those kind of owners...is that if it did crap out....the parts were readily available for cheap. If your distributor crapped out...just go down to the local FLAPS or VW shop anywhere in the 1960's into the early 1980's....and pick up another NEW one for beer money.

Perhaps....one might theorize....that had these cars had not been so basic in performance.....if they ran more like a highly tuned sports car...quicker and faster....the owners of them would have been more cognizant of the fact that they were running like shit and perhaps some maintenance was due.

Its amazing...to this very day...the vast majority of American car guys...mucscle car guys...GM, Ford and Mopar guys,...earnestly believe and repeat to everyone they know...that aircooled VW's....from the factory...struggle to get over 50 mph and that they could never run at highway speeds for any length of time.
Almost every one of them has some story or anecdote where they bought or owned one for a short time....and they all leaked oil from the get go, overheated and eventually burned up...and not a one has the belief that it was anything they did wrong.... or did not do...maintenance wise...because they are gearheads and mechanics...right? That its just the car was a bad design...right?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
... You are more likely to find a barista than a mechanic in today's "service" stations.

This is funny and true in some countries! The last couple of times my wife and I traveled in Italy, we did indeed go into gas stations that had baristas that put any US coffee shop to shame!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
... You are more likely to find a barista than a mechanic in today's "service" stations.

This is funny and true in some countries! The last couple of times my wife and I traveled in Italy, we did indeed go into gas stations that had baristas that put any US coffee shop to shame!

And now...we know where all of our recycle oil goes to! Wink
Ray
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

Found a tube of this in bottom of my toolbox. Looking at specs it too would probably work. The aeroshell 7 was a slightly thicker consistency and the 33 was much thinner and was dark green color. When I got here in 1989 they used the 7 but just yesterday we got an engineering change whereby the 33 will now supercede everything. Thankfully I don't do grease jobs anymore it's dirty and dangerous using air operated grease guns it's easy to slip and inject grease into your hand. Cheers Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

I saw on their information page magnetos and generators. Looks very promising.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

I would just try the Standard Lubricam since it's readily available and designed for lubricating the points cam.

I think everyone is getting over obsessed by this.

Buy a tube and try it. Inspect the rubbing block every now and then for wear.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I would just try the Standard Lubricam since it's readily available and designed for lubricating the points cam.

I think everyone is getting over obsessed by this.

Buy a tube and try it. Inspect the rubbing block every now and then for wear.

Maybe but as is usually the case here it comes down to money. A big tube of aeroshell 5 goes for about 12 dollars retail, that's cheaper than some of the stuff touted as distributor specific and then there's the branding. Shell has been around for years and I'd choose it over a johnny come lately no name product. Six to one half dozen of the other. Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

I like that idea Zundfolge1432 that tube is way less expensive the lil 2 oz tube for the same price. You will have enough for every Samba member.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Found a tube of this in bottom of my toolbox. Looking at specs it too would probably work. The aeroshell 7 was a slightly thicker consistency and the 33 was much thinner and was dark green color. When I got here in 1989 they used the 7 but just yesterday we got an engineering change whereby the 33 will now supercede everything. Thankfully I don't do grease jobs anymore it's dirty and dangerous using air operated grease guns it's easy to slip and inject grease into your hand. Cheers

Actually....looking at the Aeroshell chart.....its not really what you want. Looking at the base oil viscosity at low temp, medium temp and high temp after the grease is "worked"....this is one of those greases that would be at risk of being too tacky and getting pushed out of the way.
Its designed and listed as a wheel bearing grease.

Its being replaced by Aeroshell 22 which actually has better flow and less tack.

Really...as they note...the closest thing they have is Aeroshell 7 and 33.

This is also what I was getting at. You have people in Porsche and other forums looking ....looking at "some" of the specs for a distributor grease.....and glomming onto the G354 Milspec.....and there is no doubt that in the world of G354....and not just Aeroshell products.....that there are probably a slew of greases that could be fine for a distributor grease.....but this does not mean that every grease in the Aeroshell line makes a good distributor grease.

G354 is a spec range for aircraft greases.....and while Bosch distributor grease may actually meet most of the specs of a G354 grease....this does not mean that the G354 specs contain all of the specs one would want for a distributor grease.

From what I have seen....and what I have noted.....in this thread.....distributor greases....those greases made specifically with a distributor in mind.....have properties that are specific enough that you would not want them in a general purpose or bearing grease. Not that they could not work in a wheel bearing application.....but that a general wheel bearing greass is not great for distributor grease.

Distributor greases have a unique pile of specs. Must be tacky to not get flung off. Must have an excellent cold working range (yes...similar to aircraft greases)....but not a super high heat range and dropping point (because most of the greases and their additives that make that characteristic also makes the grease too stiff in the cold ranges and middle heat ranges).....good corrksion resistance, excellent workability and shear thinning (penetration rating).
In short....they may be tacky like a wheel bearing grease....but they are creamy and soft like a 0 or 00 grease. This pile of specs takes a different thickener blend than the average grease.
Nothing crazy....nothing expensive in the thickener or oil bases. Its not the ingredients that make them expensive.

They are expensive simply because they make small amounts of them at any given time.

I would wager the companies that make dedicated distributor greases.....seeing that less and less distributors are even being made or used....and seeing that unless you are Glenn or tasb or one of the distributor guru's that build 100 or more distributors per yer.....the average 2 oz tube lasts about 10-15 years or until you finally lose it.... Laughing ......the foru or five companies that even make dedicated distributor greases......could probably satisfy the world need for distributor grease.....by making about 50 to 100 pounds each.

Its expensive because they do not make much of it....you dont need much of it....and what they make each year (if they even make it every year).....moves off the shelf very slowly.

With the range of distributor greases that are available....I think Glenn is right that virtually any of them would be fine. Ray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

As long as it's cheap. Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I would wager the companies that make dedicated distributor greases.....seeing that less and less distributors are even being made or used....and seeing that unless you are Glenn or tasb or one of the distributor guru's that build 100 or more distributors per yer.....the average 2 oz tube lasts about 10-15 years or until you finally lose it.... Laughing ......the foru or five companies that even make dedicated distributor greases......could probably satisfy the world need for distributor grease.....by making about 50 to 100 pounds each.

I was told by a product manager at Bosch in Auburn Hills that "cars don't have distributors". Bosch has since stopped making distributor rebuild kits so one the current inventory is gone... it's off the the hardware store. Bosch also no longer makes many other parts as points (01001), condensers (02170) and spark plug wires (09001). They also stopped making distributor grease.

I made the investment of buying enough rebuild kits, grease and other parts so i can continue to rebuild them using genuine Bosch parts for a few more years.

If you are running a vintage air cooled VW, I strongly suggest you buy and store extra parts that need to be replaced from time to time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

^^^^^ sounds dangerously close to hoarding ^^^^^^ I mean that in a nice way Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

I've always just spat on the distributor cam and called it good

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

I was told by a product manager at Bosch in Auburn Hills that "cars don't have distributors". Bosch has since stopped making distributor rebuild kits so one the current inventory is gone... it's off the the hardware store. Bosch also no longer makes many other parts as points (01001), condensers (02170) and spark plug wires (09001). They also stopped making distributor grease.

I made the investment of buying enough rebuild kits, grease and other parts so i can continue to rebuild them using genuine Bosch parts for a few more years.

If you are running a vintage air cooled VW, I strongly suggest you buy and store extra parts that need to be replaced from time to time.

^^^^^^ This......This.......is what I have been ranting about for a while. And not just about distributor parts and lube.

Far too many owners of the whole ACVW range of vehciles.....are STILL....just treating these like cheap low maintenance vehicles.

Running parts and components until not only the one part if worn out....but the other three or four connected to it are worn out.....sinstead of taking the added time.....to do more frequent maintenance to try to preserve parts whenever possible......simply because they do not ....yet....see issues with buying the occasional NOS part whenever they need it

They do mot invest or collect parts. They spend as little time, effort and money as possible.

For example.....to me.....its sad....but entertaining...watching the bay bus L-jet crowd freaking out about the sudden and catastrophic disapperance of their Ts-2 cylinder head temp sensors on the market.
The diligent owners collected and kept a few in their stash. There are even a few enterprising people working on a replacement.....but the vast majority are gnashing their teeth.
The same mind set goes toward....working on finding alternative parts for parts and materials that are eventually going to dry up....BEFORE you need them.....because one day the lack of this part....WILL leave you with a vehcile that literally cannot be driven because you can no longer get a key part.

I catch shit all the time working on new or alternative technology for my ACVWS from people who state....."why waste all that time and money.....just go to the classified's.....I never have a problem finding one of those when I need one"..... Rolling Eyes ......yep....gonna wake up one day.....and find that parts have dried up.....or are so scarce that you can no longer afford them.
Ray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

I gathered a few thermostats and all the linkages years ago thinking along those lines. I wish I'd had the foresight to buy and hold a few German universal cases back when they were 99.00 brand new. Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
^^^^^^ This......This.......is what I have been ranting about for a while. And not just about distributor parts and lube.

Far too many owners of the whole ACVW range of vehciles.....are STILL....just treating these like cheap low maintenance vehicles.

Running parts and components until not only the one part if worn out....but the other three or four connected to it are worn out.....sinstead of taking the added time.....to do more frequent maintenance to try to preserve parts whenever possible......simply because they do not ....yet....see issues with buying the occasional NOS part whenever they need it

They do mot invest or collect parts. They spend as little time, effort and money as possible.

For example.....to me.....its sad....but entertaining...watching the bay bus L-jet crowd freaking out about the sudden and catastrophic disapperance of their Ts-2 cylinder head temp sensors on the market.
The diligent owners collected and kept a few in their stash. There are even a few enterprising people working on a replacement.....but the vast majority are gnashing their teeth.
The same mind set goes toward....working on finding alternative parts for parts and materials that are eventually going to dry up....BEFORE you need them.....because one day the lack of this part....WILL leave you with a vehcile that literally cannot be driven because you can no longer get a key part.

I catch shit all the time working on new or alternative technology for my ACVWS from people who state....."why waste all that time and money.....just go to the classified's.....I never have a problem finding one of those when I need one"..... Rolling Eyes ......yep....gonna wake up one day.....and find that parts have dried up.....or are so scarce that you can no longer afford them.
Ray

Ray,

Over the years i've collected a large number of vintage and NOS spare parts for my car and future builds. Recently i've realized that I will most likely not be building another car, so i've started to sell off what I know i'll never use. There's no reason to deprive others of parts than need and i'll never use. And quite honestly, it's easier to move cash than a trailer full of parts when I sell my house and downsize to something smaller.

But when it comes to distributor parts... i'm investing. I have over $30,000 worth of parts, so i'm in it for the long haul.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any alternatives to Bosch Distributor Grease? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I've always just spat on the distributor cam and called it good

You must of been in the porn industry previously.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: