Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split case : gear shift bushing ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a euro 58 bug (I know this is for oval only, but split case is more common on oval than on 58-67 bugs, this is why I post here) with a split case transmission. I changed the fluid to a new one 75W90, but I still have the problem so shift down to 2nd when it is cold (grinding) and sometimes to engage first gear when stopped. That was present before, even if the new fluid helped for mild temperature conditions. Some tells me to change the shift bushing, and/or the coupler, but I would like to be sure that the bushing is present on a split case because I found contradictory information on that, for instance on the workshop manual in french for 52-57, not mentioning the bushing. Can someone help me to understand ? thanks.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Are you speaking of the shift rod bushing in the tunnel?
if so 58 didn't have one from the factory just a spring lever to hold tension on the shift rod.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Yes I was dealing with this... So no shift rod bushing... Then the problem is related to the coupler only ?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

How does it shift with the engine off?
could be coupler, take off the cover and watch it as you shift. it is just a steel clad piece of rubber and could be soft. Also how is your fee play at the clutch pedal?

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Free play is OK (20mm about 4/5"), I set it up recently, when I drain the old fluid : June this year. Can check again. I will check the coupler as well, maybe it is just loose.I do not remember how it is when the engine is not running, I will check as well this evening.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

paf wrote:

but I still have the problem so shift down to 2nd when it is cold (grinding) and sometimes to engage first gear when stopped.

This sounds like the clutch not fully releasing and/or sticky pilot shaft bearing inside the flywheel gland nut especially as it relates to your first gear symptom.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

What condition is the nose cone bushing?

Check that the coupler bolts are tight and properly safety wired.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
paf wrote:

but I still have the problem so shift down to 2nd when it is cold (grinding) and sometimes to engage first gear when stopped.

This sounds like the clutch not fully releasing and/or sticky pilot shaft bearing inside the flywheel gland nut especially as it relates to your first gear symptom.

Does it mean that the clutch is definitively not correctly set up ? Can it be the free play not properly set up (I already checked, but why not) and the curvature of the bowden tube not correct ?

Eric&Barb wrote:
What condition is the nose cone bushing?

Well, I do not know, I will check it this evening if I can.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Check that the coupler bolts are tight and properly safety wired.

I will check at the same time.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Do check the clutch pedal free play is correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boden tube should only affect the release of the pedal. The proper curve in it acts as a shock absorber so the clutch does not bounce when suddenly released.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

paf wrote:

Does it mean that the clutch is definitively not correctly set up ? Can it be the free play not properly set up (I already checked, but why not) and the curvature of the bowden tube not correct ?

Yes, but it can also be any number of parts that are worn or broken including pedal cluster, stretching clutch cable close to breaking, detached clutch cable tube, broken or improperly setup bowden tube, damaged cross shaft, failing pressure plate, clutch disc out of spec, flywheel surfaces machined improperly and again the pilot bearing binding on the transmission shaft so that even if the clutch is releasing properly the shaft still spins with the motor.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

waoooo.... I don't know for most of them, but the clutch cable is new, I changed it last year due to a breakage... the bowden tube, is the same because I did not change it as it was correct (maybe I should have done it). The rest, well I do not know...

At least I will check the few item I can check.

Just by curiosity, changing the nose cone bushing needs the tranny to be out of the car ?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

paf wrote:
Just by curiosity, changing the nose cone bushing needs the tranny to be out of the car ?

Yes it does.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

paf wrote:
Hello,
I have a euro 58 bug (I know this is for oval only, but split case is more common on oval than on 58-67 bugs, this is why I post here)

I'm guilty of the same thing Twisted Evil

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I checked several thing yesterday evening :

* the coupler is ok, both screws are correctly tightened, safety wires are still present
    * the freeplay was maybe to important, I tried to reduce it, but at one moment this is difficult to find the limit between moving freely and resistance is felt... I did not make a run yesterday, but will as soon as possible.
    * the strange thing I noticed, is that when using the clutch pedal I can hear a squeak coming from the cable. I checked the Bowden tubes and while on all books the curvature is thru the floor on mine it is thru the top, I do not think this can be the problem, but I am doubtful about the squeaking... I did use lot of grease when i changed the cable however.

The thing I did not mention originally is that my bug is equipped with a SperrWolf shift lock from the factory, and while I wanted to check if the shift plate can be adjusted, I faced the issue that I am unable to understand how to dismantle/remove the shift lock. I will try to find documentation, but this is not similar to the service bulletin I saw on the site.

Next is to tests with the free play reduced.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Been a while since working on ours. Remove the screw in the front of the lock. Turn key to unlocked position and shifter in neutral. Slide top toward rear.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I checked again the clutch freeplay setting, and found something strange : the pedal is really loose at the beginning of the movement, whatever is the position of the nut on the lever (tighten or not tighten). I am not able to have it firmly and directly seated by the cable. The issue can come from this, isn't it ? I can confirm that the lever spring is present and not broken.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

broken clutch tube welds in the tunnel?

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

Not sure, before it broke, I did not meet the problem, I should have done something wrong when replacing it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

so the problem started when you replaced the stretched clutch cable?
could be the TO bearing is not setting on the clutch arm right?

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Split case : gear shift bushing ? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
so the problem started when you replaced the stretched clutch cable?

Yes, before the replacement the clutch and gears where perfect..

60ragtop wrote:
could be the TO bearing is not setting on the clutch arm right?

Well I do not catch what TO bearing stands for, sorry for my bad english...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: