Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Heyo!

Took a break from my scab project to install a retrosound in my current driver. I was missing those tunes and listening to the engine drone all the time gets old. I ended up thinking hard about where to install the front speakers and amp. Here's what I came up with:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I dislike putting the speakers in the bottom of the door because [A] it gets wet in the door and potentially can get the speakers wet and corrosion is bad, mmkay and [B] having the speakers pointing at each other can potentially cause sonic dissonance in that the colliding sound waves can cancel themselves out. So I cut out some sheet metal rings with my plasma cutter and carefully positioned them to line up with the kick panels and welded them in. I smeared grease on them then installed the kick panel, thus marking their position on the back. I cut the holes in the kick panel out with a jig saw.

Here's how that turned out:

I am powering the speakers with an 80wx4 @ 4ohm amp. I didn't want to be showing it off because of possible maleficence on the part of miscreants in my neighborhood, so I put it under the dash. I put it behind where the glove box goes. To do this I took some thick sheet metal and bent the left side to stand off the dash just a little. I cut holes in it to line up with the mounting tabs on the amp and then welded in some 6mmx1.0 weld nuts. The other side I took a small piece of sheet metal and did the same. The upper right mounting tab I left unmounted because it was to hard to welded up in there. I bolted the pieces to the amp then tacked them on the air box, then took the amp off and fully welded them up.

I will have to cut down the glove box, which is ABS and can easily be solvent welded.

I am waiting on the amp for my sub which is a 120w monoblock x1 channel @ 4 ohms. It will power a passive bazooka bass tube which I will mount under the rear seat. When it comes in and I figure out where I want to mount it I'll post up pics.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Wicked.

I run a pair of 5.5" cheapo speakers with a 4 channel alpine and a direct MP3 headphone jack into the RCA jacks and I love it Wink trying to figure out how to run a sub without a head unit though...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Wicked.

I run a pair of 5.5" cheapo speakers with a 4 channel alpine and a direct MP3 headphone jack into the RCA jacks and I love it Wink trying to figure out how to run a sub without a head unit though...

Active bazooka hooked up to the rear speakers. Works great for me.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Wicked.

Active bazooka hooked up to the rear speakers. Works great for me.

Was gonna say the same thing. Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-BTA850FH-Bass-Amplif...+bass+tube
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

I keep saying this and I don't thing anyone has tried it....

in all of my early bays I have a quality 6x9 3 way speaker in the dash. the sound is simply amazing. when I re paint my dash tops I weld studs to the bottom of the dash to mount the 6x9.

the way the sound bounces off the windshield is like being at a concert. it had good mid/bass/highs as well. I run it as a center channel. having owned buses with low mounted speakers the dash speaker simply annihilates any other system I have come across.

I have yet to play with a late bay in terms of a dash mount, as they will be different due to the small speaker size but the early bays sound awesome with a dash speaker

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

I'll keep that in mind for my scab skills. It would be nice having the music pointing right at your face. The component system plus the amp I'm using here makes for crystal clear clarity at moderate volume which I appreciate in a noisy old bus. The single cab will be a lot more quite so that might work.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

So the bazooka hooks up like a third speaker or as a designated sub? Someone got a simple step by step description? Hook sub bridged to the 3/4 channel etc? Or run a dual amp setup? How am I hooking a second amp to my first one?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
I'll keep that in mind for my scab skills. It would be nice having the music pointing right at your face. The component system plus the amp I'm using here makes for crystal clear clarity at moderate volume which I appreciate in a noisy old bus. The single cab will be a lot more quite so that might work.

seriously....do it. in my s/c that is all I run and it's awesome. I too never did think much about doing it in the dash, but when I did I just couldn't believe what a difference it made. I will never go back...it's that good

trick is to find a quality 6x9....I am using a pioneer in 1 bus and kickers in the others. it's kind of hard to find a 6x9 that is flush mount, as most of them have the mid's that stand proud of the speaker surface.

very seldom do I advocate stuff but the dash speaker is one of those things that when you do it it's like this:

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
So the bazooka hooks up like a third speaker or as a designated sub? Someone got a simple step by step description? Hook sub bridged to the 3/4 channel etc? Or run a dual amp setup? How am I hooking a second amp to my first one?

Stu it's really easy on a powered sub. It gets it's own hot wire and ground, a signal wire from the radio to turn on, and you take the two positives off the left and right speaker supplies (I think that's how mine was wired). You can pull those wires directly from your left and right speakers nearest the tube. It amplifies those signals into boom booms. It has a built in low pass filter so nothing but the bass comes through on it. No external amp is needed because it's built in. The tube I'm running is passive which means it does need an amp, and that allows you to tune the tube very precisely to your flavor. If your input signals are already amplified I would think you can just use the gain adjustment to turn it down so no distortion happens.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks for that explanation!! Definitely gonna source that out and get one for the Westy setup.

Now, if I can find a set of speakers that would fit in the pockets next to the front wheel wells...anyone got a source for a sub that would fit there?

Skills, defiantly dig the 6x9 idea, been thinking about it but haven't done it. I'll try it out for sure Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

I don't think it will work on a late dash due to the vent change. I have yet to research a small round one to stick there...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Was looking at mine on my way home...thinking a solid sturdy 4-6" woofer MIGHT fit between the vents and not hang to low visually. Since I'm not running a head unit at least I don't have to worry about that....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Kicker 6.25. Note I trimmed the sides of the frame a bit.

Sounds pretty good as skills says, though I also have under dash speakers. I think the mid cone is slightly too close to the dash as I get a buzz at certain frequencies so it needs a little bit of adjustment.

Because of the under dash speakers, I need to install an adjustable resistor to control the volume. Then I think it would be prefect to fill in frequencies lost by the speakers being under the dash.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

If you're doing a RetroSound Install on a late Bay, adding a circuit to power the system whenever the key is inserted into the ignition switch is a really nice improvement vs adding an under dash switch or something that is easy to forget about and drains the battery. Here's a power circuit I made for mine (that uses the door buzzer circuit), but plug into fuse S11 instead of fuse S10 (as the diagram shows). The S10 fuse is not powered when you turn the ignition to the start position, but the S11 fuse gets power in both the run and start positions, so you can listen to tunes with the engine off, and then start your bus, without the Retrosound momentarily losing power. You've probably noticed that it takes a long time for the Retrosound to "power up" if you turn it off then back on.

You probably have extra relay slots in your existing fuse box, so it looks nice and clean, my fusebox had 2 extra slots, so theres room to add another relay for an external amplifier. When using these slots in your fusebox, use "tanged" female spade connectors on your wires, so they will hang in there. You can't find these autoparts stores, but www.delcity.net has everything you need

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Here is my relay setup for my '73, which provides a key in/radio on signal through the wire that is grounded when the key is inserted into the ignition. (Similar to above.) '74 and up have a wire powered by the key being put into the switch, '73 and down have a wire that is grounded.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649658

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Got the amp for the sub in and decided to place it under the driver's seat. It fits like a glove. I welded on upside-down weld nuts so that a 1/2" tube of 6mmx1.0 threads were sticking up off the floor. This keeps the amp just off the floor for ventilation.

Next it was onto installing the bass tube. I wanted to put it under the rear seat. To do that, it had to go over one of the seat's bars. This presented a small problem in that the little plastic saddles the tube gets strapped to are quiet thin, and the bar was higher than them. To fix that I took some thick pieces of steel and cut them to shape with my plasma cutter. I drilled holes and tacked in some weld nuts for the saddles to bolt on. I then put the whole thing together and tacked on the pieces of steel I made. I took everything back off and welded them fully to the floor.

The straps that come with the bass tube are pieces of crap so I modified some cheapo ratchet straps to work in their stead. It's in there very well now!

2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
andrew_c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

I've been looking at installing a retrosound model 2 in my 77, so hoping I can piggyback on this thread.

My plan is to run the RSM2 with a separate amp, and a pair of 3-way Polk Audio DB691's.

I want to install one of the speakers in the dash (heard great things from Samba folks on that placement), and then have the second one placed somewhere near the z-bed.

Getting to my question- since my speakers will NOT be placed in a way that will provide a listener with a proper L/R channel mix, is there a way to wire each speaker on its own to produce the sound from both L&R channels? If so, what would that entail? I don't want to be stuck having people only hearing just the left, or just the right channel sound- that'd be super annoying.

Lastly- to run this setup with the engine off, do I need some sort of alternator or something? Forgive me if that's the wrong term..
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

andrew_c wrote:
I've been looking at installing a retrosound model 2 in my 77, so hoping I can piggyback on this thread.

My plan is to run the RSM2 with a separate amp, and a pair of 3-way Polk Audio DB691's.

I want to install one of the speakers in the dash (heard great things from Samba folks on that placement), and then have the second one placed somewhere near the z-bed.

Getting to my question- since my speakers will NOT be placed in a way that will provide a listener with a proper L/R channel mix, is there a way to wire each speaker on its own to produce the sound from both L&R channels? If so, what would that entail? I don't want to be stuck having people only hearing just the left, or just the right channel sound- that'd be super annoying.

Lastly- to run this setup with the engine off, do I need some sort of alternator or something? Forgive me if that's the wrong term..

Here's my Retrosound Model 2 with original faceplate:

For rear, I built a shortened version of the headbanger:

Up front, Retropod so I could mount 6.5" midrange:

And tweeters up higher:

Small 75x4-channel amp in glovebox:

All running of an auxiliary battery. That's not needed of course. I did contact Retrsound and confirmed that the switched accessory power needs to be truly switched. Hooking it directly to the battery will drain the battery even with radio powered down. A number of ways to run accessory power. I have a 3-position switch in my glovebox. I keep it on ignition position 90% of the time. When parked, I switch it to my auxiliary battery so that my ignition can be off and still listen to tunes. Off position radio will not come on.

Even though the front 6.5" speakers on the retropod don't interfere with anything, I probably will swap to 5.25" and flush mount them in the kick panels. Don't really like the current look.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

Im gonna be installing a basic head unit, 2 6x9's and a couple small old speakers. You think its necessary to have 2 batteries? I figure with the radio wired to constant 12v for memory and switched power it should be fine? I don't have much experience with stereo install but I figured it wouldn't be too difficult.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: My Retrosound stereo install (including underdash amp, speakers) Reply with quote

on bays with the seat backs there is a square opening on each pedestal at the back slightly behind each front seat. One can mount a high end speaker in each one with a big magnet and high end axial tweeter. These face straight up at the driver and passenger. Combined with a dual coil 6x9 under the dash or door speakers this gives great spatial separation and exceptionally clean sound.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: