Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering rack & pinion support brackets?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

I did a search on this because I saw it a few years ago regarding the play in the mounting for the rack & pinion. Somebody was adding braces to it to to give it more support.
I can't find it.
Does anyone else remember it?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
I did a search on this because I saw it a few years ago regarding the play in the mounting for the rack & pinion. Somebody was adding braces to it to to give it more support.
I can't find it.

These?

https://vanguy.net/products/newton-steering-stiffeners

https://t3technique.com/collections/front-suspensi...nt-kit-2wd
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

skemems wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
I can't find it.

These?

https://vanguy.net/products/newton-steering-stiffeners

https://t3technique.com/collections/front-suspensi...nt-kit-2wd

Thanks. That's what I remember.

mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750784&highlight=steering+rack+brace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750784&highlight=steering+rack+brace

Thank you for this. It should give the fellow who asked about them enough to br confused!🤣

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Just be aware that I filed a patent application for these modifications, so big money will be rolling in soon.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Here's what I'd like to do to tighten up things down there. Hopefully you can see my highly skilled MS Paint engineered drawings. The red sections are just flat plates welded in there to brace the steering rack mounts. The yellow sections are diagonal braces with flat boxing to tie the LCA mounts together. Alternately you could just bridge the two mounts together and weld in a couple flat boxes for lateral support.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

I used the van guys, and they seem to do the job. With new bushings while you're down there. At the end of the day, we're all still driving a brick with no aerodynamics.

Last edited by Mateo83 on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Just be aware that I filed a patent application for these modifications, so big money will be rolling in soon.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Here's what I'd like to do to tighten up things down there. Hopefully you can see my highly skilled MS Paint engineered drawings. The red sections are just flat plates welded in there to brace the steering rack mounts. The yellow sections are diagonal braces with flat boxing to tie the LCA mounts together. Alternately you could just bridge the two mounts together and weld in a couple flat boxes for lateral support.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bet the ten's of customers are knocking down your door already.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Gonna get me some of that sweet sweet #vanlife $$$

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Those yellow gussets will help!

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Mateo83 wrote:
I used the van guys, and they seem to do the job. With new bushings while you're down there. At the end of the day, we're all still driving a brick with no aerodynamics.

any noticeable difference?

I did a full....every bushing possible...springs/shocks etc suspension build on my westy and found it to drive just fine.

so did adding these make it a night and day difference or was it like -meh- in terms of an upgrade?

*manual steering fwiw on my van

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Mateo83 wrote:

I did a full....every bushing possible...springs/shocks etc suspension build on my westy and found it to drive just fine.

so did adding these make it a night and day difference or was it like -meh- in terms of an upgrade?

I wouldn't say night and day difference but it is better. I added the 16" wheels so manual steering was that much more difficult. Like a 15mph wind will still blow in the other lane. But if you lay under the van, you can see how much that area flexes without them. Like most investments/upgrades the value it in the beholder. For me, it's peace of mind knowing it's been done and the best it could be.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

I ain't right bright, but, when I saw the before and after videos that Christopher made ( https://t3technique.com/collections/front-suspensi...nt-kit-2wd ), I was purty sure that the vanagon engineering/design dept was exceptionally stoned the day they developed that steering rack mounting system.

My front end was tight when I put the braces on, so I don't really think I felt much, if any difference. I do feel that I addressed a deficient design.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

I made my own steering rack stabilizers like the ones offered and bolted on a plate that spans the two braces like the red squares in Zeitgeist 13's pic though mine is in the middle and about 12" long.

Noticed no difference but do feel it ties everything together a bit more especially with bigger tires and rough roads.

nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Mateo83 wrote:

I wouldn't say night and day difference but it is better.

thanks. it's one of those mods I haven't done yet and I guess it's because my van is pretty dam good.

if someone were to say "my van is pretty dam good, but these are orgasmic" I'd buy a pair yesterday.

I have seen the vids, and agree it is a weak design. It's on the to-do list but pretty low.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

There's something interesting that I've noticed with the steering rack crossmember reinforcements, and that is, every van is different.

On some vans (my own included), they made a huge difference in terms of tightening up the steering feel, reducing the delayed steering response in relation to steering wheel input (crosswinds, stuff like that), etc. I try to be as non biased and resistant to any placebo-effect types things as I can. I try to just be objective about it and analyze things with an open mind. However, I've had many customers report the exact same thing as I experienced, so I don't think it a placebo effect that's going on here. I truly believe that it makes a big difference on some vans, but less of a difference on others. My best guess is that it may have to do with a combination of things, such as wheel alignment, wheel offset, tire size and load rating, how stiff the suspension is, and on and on. I also think that some people are more sensitive than others in terms of being in tune with what's going on with the feel and handling of their vehicle.

I guess my point is that this is one of those mods where the end result will be better than stock, but whether or not you actually experience a change in feel or handling will depend on your particular van and/or how in tune you are with how your van feels and handles.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

How's this for an idea:
Picture a length of steel 1/8" thick with a custom Z profile.

it spans the distance of the lower control arm mounts, and backs up behind the steering rack mounts.
I think that would stiffen the entire area, as well as become a lower control arm brace.
Ya may as will install new steering rack bushings and control arm bushings while it is apart. Longer control arm bolts likely required too, like the steering rack.
Bamboozled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Mateo83 wrote:

Been an observer of this forum for years, learned many things and have enjoyed the vibe of the community here. Skill's post prompted me to relay my experience with Chris's kit, which were recently installed on my '82 AC Adventurewagen. I think his comments above are pretty much spot-on. Prior to adding them I performed the following:

Full front & rear suspension rebuilds (upper & lower ball joints, tie rod ends, bearings, etc.), with Chris's urethane bushings including steering rack. Radius rob bushings were the exception - went with new rubber out of cost & convenience. Stock springs, Koni's, heavier front sway bar & added rear bar (both Addco), CLK's with 215/60/16 rubber.

After putting these in I was pleasantly surprised with the marked improvement in turn-in response.
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Mateo83 wrote:

I wouldn't say night and day difference but it is better.

thanks. it's one of those mods I haven't done yet and I guess it's because my van is pretty dam good.

if someone were to say "my van is pretty dam good, but these are orgasmic" I'd buy a pair yesterday.

I have seen the vids, and agree it is a weak design. It's on the to-do list but pretty low.

Like chris said, it may (or may not) tighten up the "feel" i guess its feels pretty solid not like you're floating without control. There's a lot of variables there too if your springs or shocks are soft, shot, etc. But, like I said, I was on a mission to replace bushings, so I was down there anyway.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering rack & pinion support brackets? Reply with quote

Some improvements will be more dramatic than others.
Logically the biggest improvement will be noticed when loose steering rack bushings are replaced at the same time.
And even moreso when other wear items are renewed at the same time.

Every little bit helps.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: