Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door hex bolt stripped. Tried everything. Help me!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Front door hex bolt stripped. Tried everything. Help me! Reply with quote

Good afternoon, for the last 7 hours I have been trying to take off my driver's door and replace it with a new one. I have tried everything to remove the hex bolts holding on the door. I've successfully removed one in the last seven hours (not the best success rate). I have tried everything I could think off, allen key, torque key, cut a slot in it for a flat head, chisel and hammer and heated it with a propane torch, all with no success. Any other ideas out there from you guys?
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door hex bolt stripped. Tried everything. Help me! Reply with quote

Drill out the heads of the bolts, replace with new hardware. Always use a hex socket when removing those bolts cause they're easy to strip. Once you drill the head off and remove the door the body of the bolt will turn right out.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door hex bolt stripped. Tried everything. Help me! Reply with quote

^^^^^

and don't forget to put a little penetrating oil on it next time. Also an impact screwdriver helps with that type removal. Just need to find one that takes or has a socket for an allen that size. Remember that allen come in metric and standard English/American sizes. Make sure you have the correct metric allen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door hex bolt stripped. Tried everything. Help me! Reply with quote

For bolts you have not stripped yet:

QUALITY hex socket, as was said above. 3/8" drive with metric hex. Use an impact gun if you have one. If not, use a breaker bar, apply loosening pressure and have your buddy hit the breaker bar continuously until it breaks the bolt free.

For stripped bolts:

Find a bit just larger than the SHAFT of the bolt. Start drilling in the CENTER of the bolt until the head of the bolt spins off. When you get all the bolts out or drilled off, remove your door. Then use a stud extractor (the reverse collet type http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-16023-Drive-Extr...+extractor ) to remove your stud.

Don't cheap out on yourself. Buy the right tools. You'll spend more time and jack more shit up if you don't.
'74 Westy (parts)
AirAssault2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door hex bolt stripped. Tried everything. Help me! Reply with quote

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much! I got them off thanks to your suggestions.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door hex bolt stripped. Tried everything. Help me! Reply with quote

I highly highly recommend that handheld impact driver. It saved my bacon a few times and I have already put it to good use on my bus. You do have to hit it hard though.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gib_Gas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front door hex bolt stripped. Tried everything. Help me! Reply with quote

If you work on any vintage vehicles the handheld impact driver is a must.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: