Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

got the rear headliner piece in!

this one took some trimming and a lot of tries to pop in in. It never really went down all the way into the channels. But over all i'm happy! I'll be getting metal strips for where the pieces meet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Queen.Bee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Looks great!!
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Inspirational. Gets me thinking about the interior of my panel.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Inspirational. Gets me thinking about the interior of my panel.
Kurt

my i suggest wood? lots of wood?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

thanks yall!

Since it's starting to look so nice back there i decided to order a set of the little plastic hinge covers. I ended up having to trim them just a bit to make them fit but I'm happy! Now I'm thinking about a putting in a small piece of fabric to stretch over the remaining area. I should be able to reuse the remaining clip in the rear and then make some kind of bow and screw it into that beam.

This week marks the one year anniversary since we got Helga at the Texas VW Classic. Last here I brought her home on a trailer and this year I drive her back! If you see us out there please stop and say hi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Queen.Bee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Looks great!! What are you planning on using for the trim piece to cover where the headliner pieces join? Aluminum strips or wood? A friend suggested strips of birch cut with a table saw to about 1/4 thick and 1 - 1 1/2 inches wide.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Queen.Bee wrote:
Looks great!! What are you planning on using for the trim piece to cover where the headliner pieces join? Aluminum strips or wood? A friend suggested strips of birch cut with a table saw to about 1/4 thick and 1 - 1 1/2 inches wide.

Thanks I'm planning on using aluminum strips someone is making them in Poland he's been adding pics on his progress and he's almost done perfecting the technique. His name is Jack Fatboy I'm running post photos once I get them ordered installed they look just like the stock ones
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Queen.Bee wrote:

here is the thread of the metal strips getting reproduced. Hope to order some from him.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674996
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I bought a large BluTooth speaker as my stereo that I've been happy with. It's really loud. I might do a real stereo one day but this is good enough for now. It's the OontZ Angle 3XL on Amazon

finally got my Chum Bucket Sticker!

My fuel guage reads 3/4 full when the tank is full. Seems like this is a common issue. Since I have a new sending unit I figured it would be worth getting one of these repro guages that Wolfsburg West just started making. It looks really good I think. Will throw it in this weekend.

The metal trim pieces are on order from Poland and the should really finish off the headliner nicely. Three of us made an order to save on shipping. Stay tuned for that.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

after 9 months I finally installed the speedo cable and it's really accurate!

Link
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:

Since I have a new sending unit I figured it would be worth getting one of these repro guages that Wolfsburg West just started making.

Do those have the curved bezel to match the bus curved dash? 12V only?
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Longboardluv wrote:

Since I have a new sending unit I figured it would be worth getting one of these repro guages that Wolfsburg West just started making.

Do those have the curved bezel to match the bus curved dash? 12V only?

yes it is curved see the pic below.. Also they do sell a six volt version here..
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=271919031B
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

got the metal strips all the way from Poland!

They really look nice!

ah yeah!..
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Helga has been good, leaking more gear oil than I'd like so that will be a project. I believe I need to remove and reseal the side plates.

I bought the butty's bits throttle kit to help with pedal response

and I've always worried that this little spring is going to pop off

the stock setup

I don't know really what the problem is, it might be that the left side hole is a little oval but the linkage gets in a bind and doesn't move smoothly. I'm going to to keep messing with it but I might have to just go back to stock.
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

grind the bottom of that lever down a bit to give it some clearance
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
grind the bottom of that lever down a bit to give it some clearance

Yeah i'll try that thanks. I already ground the edge where it was rubbing against the side.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

made a single wheel chock for when camping on unlevel surfaces. When i find some more scrap 2x6 I'll make another.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

borrowed a friends A/C Stand to make a copy

easy

took it apart and sanded and poly'd
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

scored three lanterns from a garage sale!

1957, 1979 & 1971

ended up learning all about them thanks to Youtube and completely tore down the 71 to fix it. Even used vinegar to clear out the tank

I'm keeping the 57 for camping. The other two will find new homes.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

for when it's really raining or cold!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: