Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

I'm thinking of taking a ferry from Port Hardy, Vancouver Island to Bella Coola or Prince Rupeert, BC this summer. The route back will head towards Jasper, Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone, Lander, WY, Stanley, ID and back to Seattle. I'm interested in hearing any thoughts and opinions, esp. On the BC portion of the route and the questions below in particular:

- Are you allowed to sleep in your van on the ferry or are humans sequestered from their vehicles for the trip?
- Any recommendations on sailing to Prince Upert v. Bella Coola? I'm inclined to go to Prince Rupert.
- Any recommendations on routes back east? 16 appears to be the primary route from Prince Rupert but I welcome alternatives.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

On the way from Glacier to Yellowstone, hit Big Fork, MT. It's a cute little slightly artsy/slightly cowboy town. Then continue south along the east side of the massive lake where it's a cool road vs the other side. As your route develops, I may have some cool free camping spots or other attractions as my wife and I like the Banff/Jasper/Glacier part of your trip and spend our summer weekends exploring there.

In point of fact, one of the most useful things I think people looking for local Samba advice can do is to post a map of their route so people can specifically say specific things like "don't miss the BC ferry from X to Y because you go past a waterfall", etc.

Doug

PS - that is a truly fine plan and itinerary. Seriously.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

I've heard of people pitching their tents on the decks of the ferries, so I would think that sleeping in your van would also be permissible. I sleep in my van all the time on the 1.5 hour ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo, so I don't see why the longer ferries would be any different. They won't let you use your propane though.

Do consider the ferry trip to Haida Gwaii from Prince Rupert. I've never been myself, but it's high on my list and widely considered one of the most beautiful parts of BC.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

Nope, in the past you could not access your vehicle during the voyage, for good reason, too.

The only BC Ferry to have been lost enroute was the Queen of the North, the former Stena Danica. She sank after hitting an island at night at the south end of Grenville Channel. They only souls lost were a couple who were in their camper on the car deck, contrary to regulations.

Highway 16 is the only way, unless you want to go hundreds of miles out of your way.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I'm thinking of taking a ferry from Port Hardy, Vancouver Island to Bella Coola or Prince Rupeert, BC this summer. The route back will head towards Jasper, Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone, Lander, WY, Stanley, ID and back to Seattle. I'm interested in hearing any thoughts and opinions, esp. On the BC portion of the route and the questions below in particular:

- Are you allowed to sleep in your van on the ferry or are humans sequestered from their vehicles for the trip?
- Any recommendations on sailing to Prince Upert v. Bella Coola? I'm inclined to go to Prince Rupert.
- Any recommendations on routes back east? 16 appears to be the primary route from Prince Rupert but I welcome alternatives.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

We took the ferries from Haines to Juneau to Prince Rupert to Port Hardy on our trip last summer. There should be some info in my sig line.

We found that you are not allowed access to your vehicle when underway. They do allow access when they are in a port as folks enter/exit the ferry. No sleeping in a vehicle.

Next trip I will drive it. The ferries were something I thought would be neat to try. Now that I've tried it I'll pass them by the next time. They were not very comfortable (not anything like a cruise ship, but we knew that) and were very restrictive to our schedule.

YMMV.. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun trip.

I can also confirm that BC Ferries does not allow access to the vehicle deck during the longer ferries routes. We did the Haida Gwaii trip last summer, and they allowed 1/2 an hour after loading and the same before arriving.

I would suggest Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. Highway 16 from Prince Rupert to Prince George is one of my favorite scenic routes to drive, although I've never been to Bella Coola. Highway 16 is also a straight shot through to Jasper.

If you sail into Bella Coola, highway 20 will be dotted with much smaller towns and will come out at Williams Lake, which means that you either have to go north on hwy 97 to Prince George or South on 97 to Kamloops in order to get over to Jasper. this may be preferable to you, idk.
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

Highway 20 in/out of Bella Coola is supposed to be an interesting drive and the 18% grades would be fun in a Vanagon!!
http://bellacoola.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TheHill18X668.jpg
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:
Highway 20 in/out of Bella Coola is supposed to be an interesting drive and the 18% grades would be fun in a Vanagon!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Pray Shocked Shocked Shocked
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

WedgeAntillies wrote:
SteveMc wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Pray Shocked Shocked Shocked

I get the willies just looking at that pic.... Embarassed

The Western Syncro build
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

I can confirm also that the Haines AK to Pr Rupert there was no access to vehicles underway.

I can confirm on other ferries, shorter distance, I guess, that I was welcome to ride in my Westy.

Also, I'd add that the AK to BC trip was no fun. We couldn't get a cabin, and the 'observation' deck was not fun in the cold and rain. We never took the boat again.
VanShrugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

Jimf909,

The current large ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert stops at Bella Bella where one transfers to a smaller ferry connecting to Bella Coola and a few other remote communities .
I recall the ferry runs are coordinated for the transfer to the boat on the Bella Bella (BB) to Bella Coola (BC) run.
The boat on this run is small with few amenities.
Even the larger Boats are no Cruise Ships.javascript:emoticon('Rolling Eyes')

If in a Van (for sleeping) a stop at Bella Bella could be a wonderful place to explore for a day or so. BB is a small first nations community.

The "big" hill Hwy20 out of BC to Williams Lk is easy.. Drove it while it was being rebuilt and rough gravel.javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
The big hill going down towing anything of weight is another matter but folks do it daily towing sport fishing boats.

Hwy20 has some wonderful side trips. The area is remote and wild. Chilco Lk is worth a side trip.

Haida Gwaii is a wild interesting place. Another ferry ride though. If the weather is clear, ferry rides can be a visual delight. The views are stellar. If rain and fog close in (common in summer) the ride can be boring, expensive and not to everyone's pleasure.

Getting to Jasper from the West Coast?
Pr Rupert Hwy16 fastest and most direct to Jasper. Can be done in one long-long day.javascript:emoticon('Sad')
BB Hwy20/97-16 more wild with great side trips but slower.
Depends how fast you wish to travel and how much time one has to wander? There are even less direct roads to Jasper from BB but adds another day or so to the travel time.

No sleeping on the car deck on the Port Hardy-Pr Rupert boat. Summer schedule, the trip is during the daytime, 0730- 2330hrs. Access is granted if you ask (sometimes)? Each hour the car deck is inspected by a crew-member and they will accompany you to your veh. The BB to BC boat has an open car deck so yr veh is accessible throughout the trip.
The Ferry Schedules are a nightmare to follow. The 800 tel number has tour guides to answer your questions and offer alternatives... Weekend travel demands reservations! Weekday travel, not so much.

Have a great trip however you choose to travel..
BC when the weather is clear and sunny... Magnificent!
Rain and Fog... still has a mystic quality but not for the faint of heart..

VanSrugs
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

Yeah, the no access to the car thing blows. Nothing like sitting at a filthy formica table on an orange plastic chair for a couple hours, drinking a $5 juice box. This, while 70 feet away you could be snoozing in bed listening to music or munching snacks and reading a paperback propped up on pillows. I understand the safety aspect, but it's a little like letting the stupid people rule the world. Oh, wait............
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

The "Alaskan Marine Highway" ferries allow you access to you cars 3 times a day while under sail, 8 am 4 pm and midnight. Sounds like the Canadian boats are not as accommodating :-/

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Yeah, the no access to the car thing blows. Nothing like sitting at a filthy formica table on an orange plastic chair for a couple hours, drinking a $5 juice box. This, while 70 feet away you could be snoozing in bed listening to music or munching snacks and reading a paperback propped up on pillows. I understand the safety aspect, but it's a little like letting the stupid people rule the world. Oh, wait............

Drowning when the ferry sinks would ruin your trip as well…seems like a remote possibility but there's probably no rule against bringing your paperback, snacks and comfy pillow to soften the indignity of that crappy orange chair.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

If you do taken the ferry be sure to bring your sleeping bag and pad and pillow with you to make a nice bed on the cold steel floor up top..... wish we did....

The Western Syncro build
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative replies. A ferry to Bella Coola started as an idea for motorcycle trip last summer but turned into an idea for a van trip for this summer. Based on suggestions here, I'll pocket the $800, drive the van to other parts of BC, and save the ferry for a m/c trip when sleeping on deck is par for the course (I was thinking the Westy could become a state room on board, but that's not the case).

I'll keep all these suggestions handy. I heart the pic of the big hill!

Also, IdahoDoug, great suggestion on Big Fork. We've got a cabin on Spoon Lake in Columbia Falls for a few days so we'll definitely be stopping in Big Fork.

I also will post a tentative route here to get suggestions.

Thanks y'all!

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

What a bunch of weenies. The trip on BC Ferries from Port Hardy to PR or Bella Coola is absolutely stunning. I have done it a couple times, in both directions, from PH to PR, and BC to PH.

Dolphins, hundreds of them, leaping out of the water as far as you could see!
Whales, breeching.
Orca, jumping in packs.
Mountains, rock walls you won't believe.

Idaho Doug are you talking Alaska or BC Ferries? I haven't been on a dirty BCF.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

Gordy,

Point well taken and you are correct. I had to stop and think because the BC ferries are indeed well run and clean. It is the US ferries in the Seattle/Puget Sound that I've had that experience on a couple times. And I should make it clear I love ferry rides like a Golden Retriever likes car rides with its head out the window!!

One issue I have lately is the cost of them. I was going to include Vancouver Island in a trip last summer and pick up some wheels for my Mitsubishi while there. I was appalled to find the ferry ride was about $230 if I recall correctly for 4 people and the van. It was more than the entire fuel budget.

If I further recall correctly, it was like $65 a decade ago. But, there isn't any choice, so I guess they're entitled to it.

And it is worth ending on a positive note. The longest free ferry ride on the earth is in BC. From Balfour, across the Kootenai. And you can hang out in the Vanagon reading a paperback with the windows down enjoying the air conditioning of a 15mph lake breeze and eating Cheetos with a little Jimmy Buffet quietly playing and enjoy the views. That's the hot setup....
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

The WA state ferries allow full access to your vehicle throughout the sailing. I often nap in the van while on them (it's about 50/50) the other half of the time I go to the bow and behave like a giddy school girl.

@ Gordy, you make a good point, but the $800 and 18 hours will be repurposed this trip. I do appreciate your insights.

Abscate wrote:

240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Port Hardy, Bella Coola, Prince Rupert ferries.. Reply with quote

So how long are those WA ferry rides and how open the water? The local BCF routes mainland to VI and the gulf islands you can stay in your vehicle.

Yes Doug sadly they are expensive. Its really killing tourism on the islands.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: