Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New, not reman starter
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: New, not reman starter Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new starter for my '84 1.9 MT. I came across two brand new starters, one on eBay and one on Amazon. They seem to be the same, but are listed as having different manufacturers.

The eBay one, sold by EMS Global, goes for $123.88 and says it's made by WAI World Power Systems. Part number 17066N.

The Amazon one goes for only $77.20 but says is ships in two to four weeks. It says it's made by Premier Gear in China, with a part number of PG-17066.

I don't see any postings on here about either one. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

I know many will say they'd rather have a Bosch rebuilt than anything new from China, but the quality of rebuilds seems to vary, and quite a few people have had short-lived rebuilds.

Thanks,
Ed in CT
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New, not reman starter Reply with quote

Sorry, no experience with those... but, FWIW, the rebuilt Bosch's from O'Reillys (and possibly other national chains) come with a lifetime guarantee.

Haven't had to use the warranty but good to know that should a problem develop anywhere in the US I can get a replacement gratis.

Yeah, actual R&R would still be down to me.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New, not reman starter Reply with quote

I also went top-dollar years ago on the Bosch starter and haven’t regretted it. That was after a bad ‘remanufactured’ one that only lasted 6 months.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: New, not reman starter Reply with quote

Well, I just ordered the one from eBay. It was a little more than the Amazon one, but I need it now, and the Amazon one wasn't shipping for several weeks.

I'll report back on how the install goes and if there are any issues.

I'm putting this on my '84. My starter on the '85 is a litle slow, and I think I'll put the WestyVentures adapter on that with diesel starter.

Ed
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New, not reman starter Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
WestyVentures adapter on that with diesel starter.

Good idea. The new improved model SR28X starter featuring gear reduction spins faster, pulls less power and is easier on your flywheel. Plus, because it is smaller and lighter, it will be way easier to install and remove (compared to the stock diesel starter).
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New, not reman starter Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
erdonline wrote:
WestyVentures adapter on that with diesel starter.

Good idea. The new improved model SR28X starter featuring gear reduction spins faster, pulls less power and is easier on your flywheel. Plus, because it is smaller and lighter, it will be way easier to install and remove (compared to the stock diesel starter).

It seems the SR28X is meant for the early diesel Vanagons. The starter Karl sells the adapter plate for is for late 90's and up TDI's. Are you saying the SR28X will fit a waterboxer with the adapter plate? It looks physically very different at the shaft end.

Oh, and the one I ordered on eBay that was a new, direct replacement for the original waterboxer starter was cancelled by the seller. They said they were out of stock and didn't know when they'd have more.

Ed
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New, not reman starter Reply with quote

I've installed Bosch remanufactured starters on three cars in the last 10 years and never had a problem with any of them. Not sure I would cheap out on some eBay unit that could leave you stranded somewhere. Buy Bosch. One and done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: