Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a vanagon Reply with quote

Dave you're a master of the Search Fu'
where's that towbar thread? it may shed some insight to the plight of this thread.

vans tow fine on a bar
automatics require removal of the axles, standard&syncro just put into neutral.. but there's caution(speculation) that is may slip into gear and destruct the engine/trans.. I'm skeptical of that threads premise.

if/when you buy a towbar I recommend the one that breaks down into smaller bits. it's really not that heavy (cargo wise) and it'll fit better under the bench or in the closet. I keep the triangular headpiece in the center of the spare tire up in the clamshell. figure I'd be fine getting it from there if I need it..

this one breaks down smaller pieces
Reese
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

than this one

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a vanagon Reply with quote

I have "flat towed" a significant number of miles. Something over 3000. It wasn't a vanagon, but my beetle that I raced. I would check everything thoroughly every time you stop, but never had a problem.

Concerning towing a vanagon, I have flat towed them, but never that kind of miles. I did meet a couple that did. They towed a Westy behind their RV bus and did it for years. Manual, and they put it in neutral. The large RV was their primary home, and the Westy was their second home, and they got mortgage deductions for both. Pretty cool.

The long trip I made towing a Vanagon with a tow dolly comes with an interesting warning. Moving from MI to CO (~1300 miles). With the nose up and the Westy loaded pretty heavy, the angle of contact of the rear wheels is wrong. I made it, but took some serious life off the back tires. The rears stay parallel when the van is level, not so much when they are squatted and at a angle on a tow dolly.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to flat tow with a manual, 2wd or Syncro, IF you are diligent about checking the connections and neutral. Realistically, if you are paying any attention when you're towing, you should feel and hear the extra load when you start up with it in gear. I sure could on my beetle.

And don't be too put off by TK, sometimes hes the only voice of reason around here. Harsh, but usually not too far off. Just imagine he has a thorn stuck in his paw.

Bo
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

I would suggest that you do indeed set up your van for a tow bar in case of emergency..

I experienced a CPU failure on a trip.. and had AAA do a 160 mile flatbed tow to my home.
But they picked the van up with a regular truck to shuttle it to where the flatbed truck was available some 15 miles away..

At some point the van was towed at HWY speed in 1st gear!
It grenaded my case.. New engine needed. No way to "blame" the tow company.. They just said "No way we make that mistake".. ""Engine was already toast" "That was the reason the vehicle died on you."

That gets kinda pricey.

I am flat towing a Manx style dune buggy with no issue.. and will have the van set up for emergency towing with a bar as well. (same one, rated to 5000lbs)
I won't risk a tow company's error again if I don't have to. If a mistake is gonna get made.. I'd rather it be mine.. and then I can blame nobody else.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

And how far are you flat towing that dune buggy?

Big difference around town, vs. north to Alaska--

I know--call the Duke in to help you out if something happens in BFE-- Shocked
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
And how far are you flat towing that dune buggy?

Big difference around town, vs. north to Alaska--

I know--call the Duke in to help you out if something happens in BFE-- Shocked

The OP clearly states this is for emergency use only.. Not to tow the van for the entire 1600 miles.
I personally have toured the entire stretch from AK to CA.. and seldom would you need to go more than 60-100 miles to get to the next town/mechanic.

If you peruse the RV forums, there are folks who flat tow all manners of vehicles for 1000s of miles without issue.

I wouldn't do it myself.. for 1000s of miles.. but for 100-500 miles and if I am not in a big hurry?
Yep.. no worries.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

Eliminate the emergency factor.

Put the most breakable emergency prone vehicle on a trailer, or ferry.
( this was a great idea )

Then, you've eliminated the thought of. ever having that possible emergency.

Process of elimination.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

Here are some links for mounting a tow bar to a Vanagon........
One poster used 9 1/2" long 19mm bolts. I purchased 1/2" hardened.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6158943

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7394411

Here are some photos...... Front bumper off showing the various holes exposed once it is removed.......
See the oval hole below the radiator opening sides? ........ That is the one used for towing, it goes through the panel.

And a photo showing tow bar mounts installed, you may need to modify yours to accept the 1/2" bolt......

Close up front.....

Looking up at the radiator, see the bolt head and steel plate? .....

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to tow a vanagon Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
... I read it that OP wanted to drive two vehicles, be ready to tow if the Vanagon had trouble. He didn't say he was going to tow the entire 2300 miles. I gott the impression that he wanted to bring a towbar rather than a trailer, and was looking for forum wisdom regarding towbars. I got this in the opening post ...

Me too. The problem was with people wanting to show off their "knowledge and wisdom" and responding to the question without reading the post.

The post was originally titled "Best way to tow a vanagon" and responses to that question were legitimate. But, if you read the post, the OP asked for suggestions if he was "in a pinch". The title of the post was later changed to, "Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon"

RTFQ

Bottom line:
There's a lot of good Vanagon /tow bar information here.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to tow a vanagon Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Sodo wrote:
... I read it that OP wanted to drive two vehicles, be ready to tow if the Vanagon had trouble. He didn't say he was going to tow the entire 2300 miles. I gott the impression that he wanted to bring a towbar rather than a trailer, and was looking for forum wisdom regarding towbars. I got this in the opening post ...

Me too. The problem was with people wanting to show off their "knowledge and wisdom" and responding to the question without reading the post.

The post was originally titled "Best way to tow a vanagon" and responses to that question were legitimate. But, if you read the post, the OP asked for suggestions if he was "in a pinch". The title of the post was later changed to, "Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon"

RTFQ

Bottom line:
There's a lot of good Vanagon /tow bar information here.

Aloha
tp

No, ^^^^^
responses to the original titled post went to hell in a hand basket quickly!

Hence major editing and a title upgrade.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Eliminate the emergency factor.

Put the most breakable emergency prone vehicle on a trailer, or ferry.
( this was a great idea )

Then, you've eliminated the thought of. ever having that possible emergency.

Process of elimination.

The ferry won't eliminate the risk.. it just reduces the number of miles driven.
Maybe by one half, depending on the overall jounrey.
You still have to get to the ferry.. and off of it the other side and beyond to your final destination. AK is a big place.

Putting a car on the ferry ain't cheap.

However, the ferry ride is a wonderful trip, in and of itself. And if anyone has the opportunity to do this, I highly recommend it. Its remarkably affordable if you go without the car... Like a poor man's cruise.

Ferry or no ferry...
I'd still fit the tow bar.

danfromsyr wrote:
erikj2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I'd love to take the ferry up north but it really isn't an option this time. I wish the milepost included vw enthusiasts along the route.

Thanks for the pics, Dave.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

No problem!

Overall we're here to help and happy to do so, sadly, there is at times some annoying background noise you simply overlook.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
erikj2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm left trying to decide between a Reese and the Roadmaster. Any input would be appreciated. The Roadmaster I'm looking at is the Tracker. The Reese is rated for 5k, but looked too light for my needs.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

The roadmaster is probably a better unit but with the fixed length mounting bar, I wonder how that will funtion with the two through holes we use for fastening the tow points?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

I have 2 types and the reese with the break down 2piece arms is still more than sufficient. I can't say how it works in a total carnage accident. but it handles a panic action and swerve evasive maneuver

I like that the bars break down shorter as they're much easier to stow away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinHornbuckle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1498994

A tow bar I am working on. It will double as a front bike rack.

For true emergency tow use two straight pipes with chain through them. Loop the chain around the ball hitch and fasten with a clevis.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

So, I've discovered with these old Vans that if you carry the spare part, you don't need it!

In that vein of thought, maybe if one carries a ready to go tow bar, you'll never break down?

I purchased the Reese 70142 Tow Bar.
Why this bar? Well, it comes in pieces, short pieces that are easy to break down and store/carry.

I purchased mine at Walmart for $78.00 but they are available in many places.

There is some "before" work you must do before using this tow bar.
You need to modify the mounting brackets,
You need to make a bolt backing plate,
You need to purchase a high quality hardened 1/2" -20 x 9" fine thread bolt.

First, my bolt. Bolt quality is everything here! I trust Fastenal or Grainger for my quality fastener needs.

I purchased two of the Fastenal 18932 Bolts.
I also purchased hardened washers and four hardened nuts too.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

You need to remove your front bumper.

There are two rubber plugs on either end of the bumper end caps.
Remove these plugs and use a #2 Phillips to remove one long sheet metal screw from each end.

Now remove the rubber strips on either side if the front plate. They are held on with clips, work them off.

Under the rubber bumper strips are two 13mm bolt heads, remove these bolts and the bumper is off!

Once the bumper is off you will see multiple holes in the bumper mounting bar.
Which holes do you use for a tow bar???

Answer?

The HORIZONTAL slots......

The slotted holes go through to just outside the lower radiator support brackets.

You will see a HUGE crescent shaped hole......

Because this hole under the radiator is so big, you need to make a steel plate to cover it.

I used 3" x 1/8" steel bar.

I cut off 2 1/2" pieces so I had two 3" x 2 1/2" plates......

Here is one of the steel plates covering the crescent shaped hole.....

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

I carry a $30 tow strap...good enuf? Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best EMERGENCY way to tow a Vanagon Reply with quote

You need to drill a 1/2" hole in the steel backing plate.

Centered top to bottom..... 1 1/2"

1" in from one edge creating a slightly off centered hole......

Here is the steel plate with tge 1/2" - 20 x 9" bolt protruding through......

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: