Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

So I've been diagnosing a will-crank, no start, no spark on my 89 noncamper (manual). I removed the black plastic relay box and the existing coil. and i tried a new coil. I screwed it in place temporarily and noticed a heavy gauge red wire hanging loose near where the support for the plastic relay box sits above the coil. I traced it using Bentley and some gallery pics. I'm pretty sure it's from the AC relay. But is it ground? It's red, not brown. Let me know if any of you recognize it .. i'm still researching it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

A red ground with a protective sheath? Probably not. Looks very B+ to me.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

Me Too. I would like to see a picture of the alternator. I bet that wire will reach the B+ terminal all the way to the right side of the engine behind the Alternator.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

On a positive note, I see you replaced your fuel lines!

On the VW's a solid red wire is most often used in 12v Positive applications, often not switched.

You say that red wire goes up the rear pillar to the A/C relay panel?

The only solid red wires on the 89 wiring diagram are feeding that A/C panel with 12 volts.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
minnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

the sheath the wire is in also contains the wiring that plugs into the compressor and the sheath runs up the pillar on the rear drivers side. I have always known RED to be +, but the damn thing looks like its made a home there in that position. Probably a coincidence it's got to go to some + terminal somewhere. I like the alternator idea but didn't see a path there. I"ll post a better pic of the sheath and maybe someone here has the same cable and can identify it. Since i'm new owner i can blame previous owner. that's my right Cool
minnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

yes i changed the fuel lines. those things were crusty and reading about the fire hazard here on the forum i made it a priority. I also changed the coolant lines as you all have recommended. This site is a fantastic resource thank you all for the help!!!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

AC power, connects inside distribution box to post in upper right corner, IMHO. If not using AC, just leave it, no 12V unless connected.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

I should have added, tape it off for good practice.

If you use white electrical tape, you could label it for what it is to remind you next time, too. Cross referencing it the numbered terminal on the wiring diagram would get you the journeyman auto electric merit badge.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

I believe it attaches to the B+ post on the alternator. I also believes it powers up the A/C. The wire eventually goes up the upper left rear pillar.

Last edited by Butcher on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
minnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

from the gallery

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that looks like my wire coming from the drivers side.

I should be able to trace in Bentley now that i know where to look. Thanks everyone!
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

My last no start issue was the hall sensor in the distributor. I am sure from the pro training guide it can be a lot of other things also but mine was the Hall Sensor.
Good luck
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

minnisp wrote:
from the gallery

that looks like my wire coming from the drivers side.

I should be able to trace in Bentley now that i know where to look. Thanks everyone!

And you were wondering why your A/C wasn't working weren't you? ........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
minnisp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy gauge red wire loose in engine compartment? Reply with quote

my distributor looked very shaky, crumbling connector, corroded wires and a LOT of play. even if it's something else i couldn't drive far with that thing. i found a rebuilt one in the classifieds waiting on arrival.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: