Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

Hi;

I try to find specification for the tranny (made in brazil) PE code swing axle used in the mexican vw beetle 1.6i post 90´s......

Thank you!!

Last edited by francoangellini on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

I would think 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, .93 with a 4.375 r/p. Not 100% sure, I think Bruce has delt with these more.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

Here is some info:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

sorry, but is not the same trans, definitly not 8x31(3.875), must be 8x35(4.375) for sure, but 4º gear 0,89 or 0,93?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Here is some info:

This info is wrong!
I've never seen a gearbox with code CDR. That's not what our late Mexican Beetles have. We have code PE.

Let's go through the errors in order.

Manufactured dates: From the early 80s when VW of Germany stopped making Type 1 gearboxes, VW of Mex started sourcing them from Brazil. Sometime in the 80s, VW upgraded from a 1200 to a 1600cc engine. But they didn't change the gearbox ratios. My guess is that since the overwhelming majority of Beetles are driven in cities only, high speed driveability wasn't a concern to VW of Mex. So, the Beetle in Mex had a PE gearbox starting long before July 96, and it continued to the end in July '03.

Final drive ratio: VW of Mex never installed a 3.88 in any Beetle. They may have installed 4.12s back in the 70s since there are 4.12s to be found at the repair shops. 3.88s are non-existent in Mex.

First gear: Wrong again. As the chart says, a 3.78 first gear has a 9/34 tooth count. This ratio was only made in Germany, whereas VW of Mex used Brazil made gearboxes for the last 20 years at least. First gear in a Brazil gearbox is 3.80, or 10/38. This gear set is much weaker than the German 1st gear.

Fourth Gear: The .93 is another Germany only gear set. And it only comes in a 002 type gear. VW of Brazil never offered this gear, and never used 002 type gears. The .93 ratio was only installed on a 3.88 R&P in Beetle gearboxes to compensate for the tall R&P.

Reverse: First is the 12:17. The 12 refers to the coupler gear that meshes with the fixed gear on the end of the reverse idler shaft, which is 17 teeth. I do know that the 17 tooth gear is Germany only. I don't recall what the counts are for the Brazil gear.
Next is the 15:40. The 15 is the reverse idler gear that slides into and out of mesh with the straight cut gear on the OD of the 1-2 slider. 15 is Germany only, the Brazil gearbox has a 17 tooth gear in this location. The 40 is the number of teeth on the OD of the 1-2 slider. Again, 40 is the count on the German 1-2 slider. A Brazil slider has 44 teeth.

Paul, I recommend you delete the file from your records. Keeping it is of zero value. And don't refer to it ever again.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

Like Bruce said above, mexican beetles came with the 4.375 final drive all the way up to 2003.
Just for the sake of argument, German market 1200 and 1300 engined Beetles, which still used the 4.375 final drive did get the 0.93 (54/58 ) fourth gear after November 1972 (1600s got it a bit earlier in August when they also changed to the 3.875:1 r&p), I'll try to dig the document where I found that info
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Paul, I recommend you delete the file from your records. Keeping it is of zero value. And don't refer to it ever again.

Thanks Bruce, to the OP, Bruce is much more knowledgeable in this area than I so please follow his comments.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

Thats odd, Every Mexican ( Brazil) trans I pulled apart had a splined 8 bolt 4.37 ring and pinion, late sliders, 3.78 mainshaft(002) late style 3- set (002 style) and also had 10 tooth spider gears. Also every one had a .93 fourth. I have probably built aprox. 50 of these and they were all the same. Also they have bolts instead of nuts with studs.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Thats odd, Every Mexican ( Brazil) trans I pulled apart had a splined 8 bolt 4.37 ring and pinion, late sliders, 3.78 mainshaft(002) late style 3- set (002 style) and also had 10 tooth spider gears. Also every one had a .93 fourth. I have probably built aprox. 50 of these and they were all the same. Also they have bolts instead of nuts with studs.

That configuration is correct, but those Mexican Beetle gearboxes were made in Germany. I've seen tons of those all around Mexico. All really good parts inside.

The Brazilian Mexican Beetle gearbox is completely different. Watch for the PE code, and the main trans case says BRAZIL on it just like the Rhino case. When you open up a PE gearbox you'll be surprised at all the junk they used in Brazil that Germany abandoned.

I don't know when VW of Mex changed to a Brazil made gearbox. I assume it was at the same time VW of Germany stopped making Type 1 gearboxes sometime in the 80s.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

That configuration is correct, but those Mexican Beetle gearboxes were made in Germany. I've seen tons of those all around Mexico. All really good parts inside.

The Brazilian Mexican Beetle gearbox is completely different. Watch for the PE code, and the main trans case says BRAZIL on it just like the Rhino case. When you open up a PE gearbox you'll be surprised at all the junk they used in Brazil that Germany abandoned.

All these trans said Brazil on the side, the one I have here now is Brazil as well, however it is coded AB. It had a 4.37 that I converted to a 3.44 for an early bus.
I don't know when VW of Mex changed to a Brazil made gearbox. I assume it was at the same time VW of Germany stopped making Type 1 gearboxes sometime in the 80s.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

Finally the PE (made in brazil) used in mexican 1.600i fuel injection post 90´s include 0.89 or 0.93 4º gear?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

I dug through my library some more and found this info, I hope it is more useful than the stuff I posted earlier Embarassed . If not, please disregard:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
trevorbrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: mexican vw beetle 1.6i 1997 PE code tranny specs? Reply with quote

can anyone advise on where to get the swing axle tube retaining rings for a "made in Brazil" Mexi beetle gearbox?

they don't have the o-ring fitted to the ring, like the usual German retaining rings.

I posted a thread here without much success:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712360&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: