Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

Hi all.
I searched via title on this.

Have seen the results of the first hand and heard about it via a fellow camper
at a recent campout. We discussed why this would happen.
I believe he posted here about his adventure with that issue.

Bentley shows an entire page on tightening this bolt properly.

From the factory, I assume this wasn't an issue. Here's what he and I figured
were the main contributors to bolt backing out:

- torque value used was too low (no special tool, guess work deployed)
- bolt re-used too many times (it has a fine thread)
- crank key way and/or woodruff key worn beyond spec prior to rebuild/repair
- cross threading bolt on install

or ?

The sad part is that the average owner/wrencher probably doesn't have the
means to easily remove this bolt and retorque to be safe. I guess one just keeps
an eagle eye on their engine!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

The key is only for initial alignment. In service the bolts clamping force and the resulting friction prevent the pulley and crank from moving respective to each other.

Unless the bolt is TTY, it can be reused. Most high load bolts only have 2-3 good pull downs until the thread is worn enough to affect the clamping load. When in doubt, get a new bolt!

Under-torquing can lead to keyway failure, bolt fatigue failure, or the bolt loosening. When in doubt get a torque wrench!

Over-torquing can cause the bolt to stretch plastically. This can result in the bolt breaking either immediately or shortly down the road.

Unless the manual specifies lubrication, bolts like this are to be installed dry! Lubrication can result in a normal torque level creating excessive clamping force, which could damage the bolt or the threads.

Its pretty unusual for these bolts to loosen over time when installed correctly. When/if they do; damage to or imbalance in the belt drive system is to be suspected.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

I agree with all the above except the no lube part. I believe that high torque bolts like these should have the threads lightly oiled.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

t3 kopf wrote:
I agree with all the above except the no lube part. I believe that high torque bolts like these should have the threads lightly oiled.

In general almost every one I have seen does specify lightly oiled (or they come packaged that way).

The only real concern is that in a few (Not vanagon) applications, the torque value is adjusted for dry threads. Lubing the bolt in this case can result in issues.

Of course I probably should have left that comment off my post, as it doesn't affect the WBX. Of course there are quite a few engine conversions floating around these days... Very Happy
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

Oh my. Engine conversions. I don't know why I chimed in. d'oh!

Ok. For sure. I see the point on woodruff key. And thats a good point on
balance in the belt drive system. I mean it's not like the alt. bracket is ever
an issue. lol.

Since the torque value is so high, and it's tough to hold the pulley dead still
without the right tool or similar, one could easily under torque that bolt.

I'm sure the event I saw and heard about are relatively rare.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

my main bolt came loose to the point i could remove it by hand. no damage to threads, woodruff appears worn as the pulley was banging on it. any pointers on how to get the 250lbs on the bolt WITHOUT the key no one but a specialized shop probably still has?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

What is this "key" you want to do the tightening without?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

They come loose primarily due to improper installation.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

McMaster Carr has metric Woodruff keys. Check the sizing, and maybe you will luck out
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

The key is a lock tool to prevent the crankshaft from moving while torquing on the bolt.

Last edited by Butcher on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

I guess I'm not going to get an answer to my question on what key you want to do this without? Since you refer to "shop" I'm assuming you think there is some kind of shop tool (a key) to hold the pulley, etc. So I will continue into the fog of answering your question to say you can immobilize the pulley with a chain to tighten against it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

I have some yacht braid polyester (this is not the cheap polypropylene rope you can get anywhere) that I tie off to some place on the engine and then wrap the crank pulley a couple of turns. While keeping tension on the free end of the rope you can apply torque to the nut and tighten down the pulley. You could probably do the same with some 3/32 or 3/16 wire rope, or you can cut up an old V-belt and use it.

If using rope, the closer you can tie off the rope to the pulley the less stretch you will get.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

That's a great idea. Your technique also eliminates the chance of the chain damaging the pulley. I like it - thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
That's a great idea. Your technique also eliminates the chance of the chain damaging the pulley. I like it - thanks.

It can take a lot of tension so an extra set of hands can make things easier though I usually get it done by myself. I did once have a cut up V-belt for this purpose, should make up another one and have it on hand.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

When you need a new woodruff key for the crankshaft they are NLA from VW. Part number 070105249

BusLab has them for $2.50

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/070105249.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

If you could, I'd love to know the diameter of the rope as what you're using works and I'll be guessing. We're boaters and may even have some on hand.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

https://www.gowesty.com/product/mechanical/24797/crank-lock-tool-for-pulley

Do you need a crank lock tool?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
If you could, I'd love to know the diameter of the rope as what you're using works and I'll be guessing. We're boaters and may even have some on hand.

I think what I have is 3/8" but am down south for the winter and thus can not verify it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

mellowslow wrote:
[url] https://www.gowesty.com/product/mechanical/24797/crank-lock-tool-for-pulley [/url]

Do you need a crank lock tool?

Think what you want to about GoWesty but that crank holding tool is a stroke of pure genius!

I'm thinking of ordering one just to put in my tool box! Even if I never need it!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt: Why Would It Come Loose? Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies, by mistakenly typing "key" i meant the pulley tool 3102 on bentley page 13.42 . i did order the woodruff key as mine was pretty beat up by pulley banging on it hence creating the clunking i thought was coming from the TC/tranny as in my other posts. pulley grove appears ok so i will reuse it.

does anyone own the 3102 and can post the dimensions so that maybe i can build one? i have seen the GW flexplate lock, but would rather lock the pulley side than transfer 258lbs of torque through my old engine crankshaft and the TC/plate. someone did mention the cranshaft can bend. though i find it unlikely i think the pulley lock is a better and fool proof method.

would any other pulley lock work? i will investigate the rope method if i cant find any other solution Smile

i was considering this, which obviously would require a helper, though not sure it would fit the pulley as the holes are recessed pretty far in:
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4754-Universal-Pulley-Holder/dp/B000Q8GVPY

Last edited by jerryherb on Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: