Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Improved windshield wipers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

I know that this question is moot for Californians in summer, but for the rest of us, it might be nice to have a solution.

Has anyone found a reliable way to make original equipment wipers do a better job of clearing water off the windshield? Spring change-out? Rubber blade treatment? Bending the arm? Changing the arm?

And, yes, I know about Rain-X.

Thanks
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

I'm also interested in this issue. I have original blades that work much better than reproductions from Wolfsburg West. The pivot piece on the blade that attaches to the arm is less wobbly on the original. I think I'll explore a different manufacturer available through Rock Auto. I think the aspect that's paramount is for the rubber blade to be perfectly straight (no dips or humps when contacting the glass).
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

FWIW: Original 65-67 wiper arms help. They have a longer base with a bigger spring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, if you're genuinely committed to cleaner windows, buy a set of original SWF blades. The repros (like any other part) are garbage in comparison. Nothing like old school rubber that was made when we didn't give a F about the environment during production Smile
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

I drive my vw 's in the rain too and never had any luck with the org. flat wiper. I currently run the 11.5 inch version of these on my bus. And run the 9in swf org. version on my bug.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221483899379?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

Nitty wrote:
I'm also interested in this issue. I have original blades that work much better than reproductions from Wolfsburg West. The pivot piece on the blade that attaches to the arm is less wobbly on the original. I think I'll explore a different manufacturer available through Rock Auto. I think the aspect that's paramount is for the rubber blade to be perfectly straight (no dips or humps when contacting the glass).

I agree.

I prefer the oem SWF blades. They are better quality than the new ones.
Sorry I do not know a current source for these.

I do drive buses in the rain. It rains frequently here, probably about 50% of days have some rain over the whole year.
There have been times this past winter where 3 weeks in a row it rained every day.
Reading the journals of Lewis and Clarke there was an entry when they wintered at the mouth of the Columbia. They whined about how it hadn't stopped raining for more than half an hour at a time for the previous month, among other things, like getting the clap from the local ladies, and being tired of camas and dried salmon for dinner.
It must have been November.
It is now sunny and dry and May and the flowers are blooming. Showers forecast later today.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
I currently run the 11.5 inch version of these on my bus.

Is one end longer from the fulcrum like bus ones or are they equal?
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Is that the Clap season over there?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Clara wrote:

Is that the Clap season over there?

It might have been, before antibiotics.
November is just rainy the entire month. one storm after another. And dark. So you might be tempted just to stay inside. Why even get out of bed?
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
thomas. wrote:
I currently run the 11.5 inch version of these on my bus.

Equal length. Same as swf. Pretty good reproduction. In the ebay ad it claims it's stainless but it looks like powdercoat or paint to me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

split bus wipers are a joke. even with original blades, they are not all that good.

if you want to really get the rain off your windshield, use an adapter with a modern wiper blade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281496484845

I use rainex
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
split bus wipers are a joke. even with original blades, they are not all that good.

if you want to really get the rain off your windshield, use an adapter with a modern wiper blade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281496484845

I use rainex

Annual rainfall in Boise, ID is 11.7"
kintail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

Original Blades plus OEM motor on my past 12V '67..... add RainX. Works all the time.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

I just ordered the blades that Thomas recommended above. That seemed the most practical suggestion so far. Lind's idea of a universal adapter to use other replacement blades might have the same effect for less money.

I will try them out and report back (eventually).
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Equal length. Same as swf.

'64-'67 have one end 5" and the other end 6". Are early blades equal? All these are SWFs. You said 11.5" so yours are actually even longer which is good. I like having the extra inch on the top.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

I was referring to the flexible swf wiper blades like the one at the bottom of this photo. A 9 inch I use on my bug. Above it the 11.5 inch reproductions.

GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

Chad just posted these:

Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

I use stainless wiper arms (AA I think), which I trimmed a little on the end and drilled and tapped for a m3 screw. I ordered 12" stainless blades that use the modern wiper refills. The blades are 1950's Chevy truck wiper blades. They lay flat on the windshield and do an awesome job. The clean right up to the top of the windshield.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
Chad just posted these:

Sixty bucks...! Sheeesh.

For zero bucks, I like to put a new edge on the rubber with 400 or 600 wet-or-dry sandpaper: wet the paper, slap it onto a piece of glass, run the blade lengthwise back and forth. Bing! New edge.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Sheeesh.

From post you're written it appears your avatar is your polar opposite. But if it were you, you could just hock a massive tobacco loogie and spread that to repel water like Mike Nelson used to do in Sea Hunt on his facemask.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Improved windshield wipers Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
&Dan wrote:
Sheeesh.

From the post you've written it appears your avatar is your polar opposite. But if it were you, you could just hock a massive tobacco loogie and spread that to repel water like Mike Nelson used to do in Sea Hunt on his facemask.

Hwaaaawk- thPoo!

You know what- you're right! I think I have to thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: