Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberglass pop top refinishing and tent install - How To
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass pop top refinishing and tent install - How To Reply with quote

I wanted to put up a thread for reference on TheSamba for future searches for people having questions on how to refinish the fiberglass top on their Westy. Ours was in terrible shape and we used the Interlux Brightside paint and we couldn't be happier with the results!
Primer:
https://amzn.to/38haF3c
Paint:
https://amzn.to/3sTe8Nj

We also had a small crack by the skylight we repaired with epoxy before we primed the top.

The tent install part is not complete as we lost some footage before upload and the footage we took during wasn't great as it was very hard to film with our equipment we had.
We also replaced all of our seals as well as the skylight.

Anyway, I hope this set of videos can help anyone in the future who is not sure they can tackle the refinishing part. It really wasn't that hard. The tent was way harder.
Let me know if you have any questions or comments!
nate

Link

Link

Link

That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel

Last edited by thatbaldwinlife on Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass pop top refinishing and tent install - How To Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
I wanted to put up a thread for reference on TheSamba for future searches for people having questions on how to refinish the fiberglass top on their Westy. Ours was in terrible shape and we used the Interlux Brightside paint and we couldn't be happier with the results!

Thank you! I removed the top of our '89 Westy a couple years ago and cleaned the ceiling and replaced the tent. Turned out great.
You're timing couldn't have been better because now, I'm in the middle of refurbishing an '85 Westy (expect to be for sale this spring) and painting the top is in it's future. Thank you so much for the painting video and insight on how the Interlux products turned out for you.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass pop top refinishing and tent install - How To Reply with quote

Great job and thanks for all the work it takes to post a big project like this. On my '81 the previous owner had either painted the top or applied a new gellcoat, I'm not sure what they used, but it looked great. It was very smooth and I'd like to do that on my hightop if only I could figure out what he did and the product he used. If anyone is a paint guru and knows how to make the fiberglass smooth and shiny, let me know.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass pop top refinishing and tent install - How To Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Great job and thanks for all the work it takes to post a big project like this. On my '81 the previous owner had either painted the top or applied a new gellcoat, I'm not sure what they used, but it looked great. It was very smooth and I'd like to do that on my hightop if only I could figure out what he did and the product he used. If anyone is a paint guru and knows how to make the fiberglass smooth and shiny, let me know.

Multiman mv kind of explains achieving a smooth and shiny finish on the top in his big thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679052&highlight=multivan
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass pop top refinishing and tent install - How To Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
goldtooth wrote:

Thank you! I removed the top of our '89 Westy a couple years ago and cleaned the ceiling and replaced the tent. Turned out great.
You're timing couldn't have been better because now, I'm in the middle of refurbishing an '85 Westy (expect to be for sale this spring) and painting the top is in it's future. Thank you so much for the painting video and insight on how the Interlux products turned out for you.

Jim Davis

It was a lot of work to try and document it all. After it was done, it was easier to know what I should have filmed or talked about!
I would encourage anyone who has a top that is getting bad to take care of it sooner than later. It makes the work so much easier if you don't have fiberglass showing through like my luggage rack did. Like I said in the video, for less than $100 you can have then entire top redone and looking new.
I would not suggest you do this in the middle of October like we did though. A nice 70 degree, calm day can have this done quicker too due to drying times.
nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass pop top refinishing and tent install - How To Reply with quote

thought I covered it pretty good!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

full story here-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass pop top refinishing and tent install - How To Reply with quote

puchfinnland wrote:
thought I covered it pretty good!

full story here-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I am sure you did! Videos can go a long way in helping the understanding though. I am glad we can all have these resources on TheSamba for future reference!
nate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: